HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the LEM kit today in my USP 40, took all of 15 min and was super easy. I have tried to sell this kit for a while but after a great article from one of the members here I decided I would throw it in. I'm not sure I like it, in all honesty it kinda freaks me out. It's like a 1911 with no safety and while yeah that's awesome I have used DA/SA for a long time and it's just a new world. Anybody else have the same feeling with it when they switched?

·
Registered
974 Posts
If your 1911's have a trigger pull as long as the LEM, you should probably take them to a gunsmith.

That safety of the LEM is the long trigger travel. If you think it's too light, put the heavier TRS in.

In general, I tend to run my HK's in DA/SA. I actually really like the feel of LEM, I've just never spent the time to good with it. I find myself to be more accurate with DA/SA, so I stick with that mostly. I do have a spare kit that I'm considering dropping into my new 45C though.... I haven't made my mind up on that one yet.

In either case, LEM is plenty safe. Keep your finger off of the trigger until you're ready to shoot.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your 1911's have a trigger pull as long as the LEM, you should probably take them to a gunsmith.

That safety of the LEM is the long trigger travel. If you think it's too light, put the heavier TRS in.

In general, I tend to run my HK's in DA/SA. I actually really like the feel of LEM, I've just never spent the time to good with it. I find myself to be more accurate with DA/SA, so I stick with that mostly. I do have a spare kit that I'm considering dropping into my new 45C though.... I haven't made my mind up on that one yet.

In either case, LEM is plenty safe. Keep your finger off of the trigger until you're ready to shoot.
I should have elaborated that it is like a 1911 at the break not the take up. I will have to get time to throw rounds down so I can come to an actual decision. My real concern with it is if my thumb is gonna get worn off. I'm the notorious thumbs forward type of shooter. I do like the slimmer profile now that it doesn't have the safety and it's less stuff I have to jumble with if ever had to use it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I agree on that point. I love the slimmer profile of the gun without the lever on it. I know it's often a point of contention, but I wish the HK45 series has the rear mounted decocker like the P2000/P30 series. If I could keep it slimline and keep DA/SA, that would be great. I suppose I could use the LEM hammer axle and just make it a manual decock... but I'm not sure how I feel about that option.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree on that point. I love the slimmer profile of the gun without the lever on it. I know it's often a point of contention, but I wish the HK45 series has the rear mounted decocker like the P2000/P30 series. If I could keep it slimline and keep DA/SA, that would be great. I suppose I could use the LEM hammer axle and just make it a manual decock... but I'm not sure how I feel about that option.
Wouldn't that be about the same as cocked and locked just without the locked part? I have never handled the p2000 or p30 but I know they do look nice and I'm waiting on my chance to maybe snag a trade on a p2000 for my wife.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
With exception of that long pretravel in the trigger, LEM is just like the SA in your DA/SA but without that useless safety lever than can only get you killed.
The actual safety is your brain, finger off the trigger and the most important feature, the Firing Pin Block.
Cocked and Locked was created for the 1911 because its a SA only! Guys who carry cocked and locked on a DA/SA make my head spin wondering why?
As far as "getting used to LEM". What is there to get used to? The longer pre-travel or telling your brain not to look for a safety lever are the only things I can think of. If you miss shots, then its because you jerk triggers. Smooth pull backs work just as SAs do.
What can be easier than draw and squeeze? Why do you want to fumble with Adrenaline flowing with a lever that is useless?
Holstering, you simply keep your thumb on the hammer.
Am I missing something?
Draw, point, bang, done.
All LEM is doing is pre-cocking your hammer spring, the same as cocked, without the unnecessary locked, since these are far advanced from the antiquated 1911 SAs. (though still fine arms - at least the quality ones are). I'll take cover now since so many are in love with C+L and 19s.
All a de-cocker does is release that hammer spring. The FPB is always the safe until that trigger breaks, turning that block and allowing that pin to fly forward when struck by the hammer.
Again, am I missing something? Please don't say children or I will have to start talking about all the sad ones stories that I have to responded to that are no longer with us, because parents assumed children do not know how to turn levers. If you have children, a safe is your only "safe" bet in your home.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You make very good points. I guess it comes down to A. Im used to the heavy pull first B. This style of trigger is a tier all its own. It's like the best off all world's I guess it's just hard getting used to something so perfect

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
LEM

Folks seem to love or hate LEM.
IMHO - Finger off the trigger is the safety for any gun.
I like KISS for a self defense gun.
Just want to draw, aim and squeeze.
Also that first shot may well be the most important.
I can shoot DA/SA well.
But that first DA shot isn't going to be as accurate as the following SA shots in my hands.
LEM gives me that SA accuracy with the first shot.
I actually seem to shoot LEM best even for target shooting.
And recently converted my USP Elite 45 to Match LEM Hybrid.
For me, once I went LEM?
There's no turning back.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I agree with Barth...

I trained on DA/SA, worked the transition pretty hard, and I'm actually pretty good at it, but slower than with an SA or DA only trigger. I prefer either SA or a striker fired pistol, anything with a consistent trigger over DA/SA. I really, really like the LEM trigger for a defensive trigger. I work it more like a two-stage, and simply consider the take up as stage 1. Between steps 3 and 4 of my draw stroke (press-out) I'm on the trigger prepping and preparing for the break when my sights hit final alignment. For me, Once the 1st shot is made the LEM might as well be a SA trigger because I shoot from reset.

I've always liked the LEM since I converted my 1st DA/SA. Now that I've had my P30L V0 worked on by Lazy Wolf Guns, and the reset shortened I positively love the LEM trigger. My P30L is now better than my Walther PPQ, the only handguns I have with better triggers at this point are a couple Les Baer 1911s and that says a lot.

Chuck

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just picked up my first LEM equipped gun this week, and I'm loving it. I'll get to shoot it this weekend with any luck.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
You make very good points. I guess it comes down to A. Im used to the heavy pull first B. This style of trigger is a tier all its own. It's like the best off all world's I guess it's just hard getting used to something so perfect
Try it as a V2 then. That offers you a slightly heavier weight trigger.
But really all you need to do is get your brain off needing the heavy DA first pull as your brain works fine once that first round is fired in your DA/SA and LEM is like SA all the time.
Remember, finger off the trigger until one is ready to destroy forever, what is in front of the muzzle.
Therefore, the long pre-travel is your extra millisecond of second thought time.
Get passed the mental barriers and you will find true love.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try it as a V2 then. That offers you a slightly heavier weight trigger.
But really all you need to do is get your brain off needing the heavy DA first pull as your brain works fine once that first round is fired in your DA/SA and LEM is like SA all the time.
Remember, finger off the trigger until one is ready to destroy forever, what is in front of the muzzle.
Therefore, the long pre-travel is your extra millisecond of second thought time.
Get passed the mental barriers and you will find true love.
I have found that I am growing more fond it as time goes on. It's just really a perfect trigger and that's what has my brain on WTF. Bit I really got a great feeling about it once I get some rounds thru it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tried mine today. Fast, smooth, and easy to run to reset. I'm sold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts