HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I will start an ongoing holster review thread.

In part just to share, and also to remind myself what I have already bought, tried and tossed in a drawer...so I don't buy them again.

Stats:

Body type: 5'10" 205# (Mesomorph transitioning to Endomorph after age 45...Lose Fat and Gain Muscle: Tips for the Endomorph Body Type). Have gut and "love handles" above waist line but not obese yet, shoulders still wider than gut but the "V" shape is long gone, relatively short torso compared legs.

Typical Dress: Shorts/Khakis. Golf shirt un-tucked with undershirt.

IMG_1096.JPG

Weapons: HK VP9, HK VP9C (http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/225205-introducing-vp9-compact.html), P30, P30L, P30SK, P2000. Warning! I tend to use/try the same holster for multiple pistols!

Carry position: IWB 2-3 O'clock. Can't get used to AIWB, I have to have ride height too low due to gut... I seem to print like crazy when carrying at 4-5 O'clock.

Partial list of holsters I intend to discuss/review:
Traditional 2 clip IWB
Crossbreed: Supertuck
Stealthgear: Onyx (post #25), Mini
Milt Sparks: VM2 (post #9)
Comptac: MTAC-Minotaur (post #7)
Chief Jason: Custom Leather IWB (post #29 and favorite style post #44) and OWB
Secret City Weaponeers: K-25 Multi-Role Concealment Holster (post #28)
US gun gear: Omni
Next: Guardian dual IWB/OWB
Hidden Hybrid: double clip hybrid
L.A.G. Tactical Defender: (post #32)
TT Gunleather Slim IWB Mikes Special: (post #40)
JM Custom Kydex/JR Holster "The Hybrid": (post #41)

Single clip IWB:
Alessi: Talon (post #17)
Concealment express: kydex
MTR custom leather: Adversary
Wild Bill's Concealment: Covert Carry
Remora: RFT and non-RFT
Crossbreed: AIWB
Stealthgear: AIWB
Bullseye: IWB hybrid
Master's

OWB:To be determined (I have some but never really use them)

I will make a new post for each holster with pics, pros and cons...some will have links to the for sale post LOL!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Tagged, im in the same boat body wise and my Milt Sparks VM2 is not comfortable with love handles and a gut at the 2 o'clock position

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can't wait, just picked up a P2000 and am in the process of choosing a holster right now and someof your choices are on my short list.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Winthrop IWB leather is a low cost, well made alternative. With so many people who have a box of unused holsters, trying to find that perfect one... $55 eases the pain. I was unfamiliar with them until a brand new one came with a recent acquisition. I'm impressed for the price point and it is very comfortable with the P2000SK and USP Compact.
Not an endorsement. Simply an early observation.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here are the things I will try to cover for each. More stars are better!

Quality and Construction: ★ to ★★★★
Price: ★ (<$25) to ★★★(>$100)
Comfort: ★ to ★★★★
Concealment: ★ to ★★★★
Adjustable ride height: yes or no
Re-Holster:★ to ★★★
Take off/on Removal: ★ to ★★★/★ to ★★★
Recommend (of course YMMV): ★ to ★★★★

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Comptac MTAC Minotaur

Comptac MTAC Minotaur: Might as well start with one I like! This is one of my favorites. I probably use it >50% of the time. I think the relatively small footprint helps with comfort, especially when sitting down. A relatively low ride height works best for me and the long hooks provide a lot of options. The fact that the hooks attach lower on the holster seems to let them move/flex more freely. Quick draw and easy to re-holster (I actually use this in a lot of my IDPA matches since I like to use what I carry).

Body is for USP but I have used it VP9, P30, P2000 and USP with no issues. There's not good retention, even with the USP but I don't do tactical rolls or cartwheels. Flexible leather backing with belt tightened up is good enough for me.

Quality and Construction: ★★★
Price: ★★ ($90 new: I picked mine up used for less than that)
Comfort: ★★★★
Concealment: ★★★★
Adjustable ride height: yes
Re-Holster: ★★★
Take off/on Removal: ★★/★★

Recommend (of course YMMV): ★★★★

WARNING fat gut visible in last pic!

IMG_1108.JPG
IMG_1109.JPG

VP9-mirror pic take using my left hand so that is my right hand at my side
IMG_1099.JPG

Low ride height lets butt of pistol "hide" under my spare tire which really helps concealment but there is plenty of grip for draw.
IMG_1106.JPG

·
Registered
362 Posts
What about Bladetech? I just got one on this forum and it works great with my USPc. I liked it so much I just got a Nano for my P30

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Milt Sparks Versa Max 2: I REALLY wanted to love this one! Primarily due to the raving reviews on here. I searched and scoured the web for a deal. Unfortunately it just didn't work that well for me. Great looking and great construction. Things that didn't work for me: The gun rides a fraction too high for me so I have to loosen the belt and let it drop a little lower. The holster doesn't seem to distribute the pressure evenly. It really hits on two points right on my hip joint. It's not really uncomfortable per se, but I found that I like the pressure distributed over a wider area. With this holster (as well as several others) the rear part of the slide kind of "points forward" an prints (not necessarily discernible as a pistol but bothers me none the less). I will probably take off the loops and see if I can use some hooks to lower the ride height a little. I keep trying it and keep going back to some of my less expensive, less famous rigs.

Quality and Construction: ★★★★+
Price: ★★★ ($125 new)
Comfort: ★★
Concealment: ★★★
Adjustable ride height: no
Re-Holster: ★★★ (really easy for an all leather holster)
Take off/on Removal: ★★/★★★ (I struggle putting it on at times-it's easy at home but if I have to take on/off in a parking lot etc it can be tough)

Recommend (of course YMMV): ★★★

IMG_1134.JPG
IMG_1136.JPG

Dark shirts obviously help w concealment! My wife calls my outfit my uniform!
IMG_1124.JPG
IMG_1127.JPG

·
Registered
109 Posts
Agreed x3. I waited forever for a Grizzle model that was equivalent to the VM2 for a P30SK. Superb piece of leather however it didn't work for me at all.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I know its not what your looking for but my personal and recommended experience is with owb high noon holster. High noon is top notch. Dont expect to pay less than 130. But my khar cm9 rides like a Cadillac!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm awaiting my TT Gunleather Mikes Special in the next couple of weeks. It is very similar to the VM2, I hope I don't have that issue as well, though it looks like you carry at almost a 9:15 position? With my mtac I like it at a 3:15 - 3:30 position and plan on running my TT the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I know its not what your looking for but my personal and recommended experience is with owb high noon holster. High noon is top notch. Dont expect to pay less than 130. But my khar cm9 rides like a Cadillac!!!

OWBs are easy, this review is for IWB fitting a guy with chub which is hard

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I've gone from a VM2, to Mtac to a keepers concealment. Once I figured out how to adjust the holster I don't think I'll use another cc holster. Pricey but worth it. And I'm not a skinny ballerina either.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
If anyone has the Alessi Talon, let me know how it works for a guy with love handles and a mild gut
I guess I'm taking requests!!!

I will try to post some pics later.

I really like this single clip. It has high quality construction. Things that make it work for me are: a relatively low ride height, at least 15 degree forward cant (forward cant helps hide the butt of a fullsize pistol for me), low profile clip. Some single clips holsters can conceal the gun but the holster itself prints like crazy. For me it's usually the clip which has to protrude further from the body since it is usually right on top of the widest part of the gun. The Alessi clip has a very thin profile, yet feels very sturdy. My Talon holster was designed for a USP45C but works well for all of the guns I listed in the first post. There is no real retention to speak of with any of the guns (no tactical rolls for me!...just fat rolls which seem to keep the gun in place just fine). The sweat shield doesn't exactly line up with the slide on any of the guns I use it with (it is a bit "in front" of the slide).

Quality and Construction: ★★★
Price: ★★ (I think it goes for about $89)
Comfort: ★★★ to ★★★★ (I know I'm waffling but it is not quite as comfortable as some of the best...)
Concealment: ★★★ to ★★★★ (for me it will occasionally have the rear part of the slide point forward similar to the VM2 which can cause printing)
Adjustable ride height: no
Re-Holster:★★★ (really easy for an all leather)
Take off/on Removal: ★★★/★★★
Recommend (of course YMMV): ★★★★ (My favorite leather single clip so far...)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I am really happy with my Garrett Silent Thunder Fusion Hybrid. Minimal footprint for a hybrid. I have one for my P30LS and now use it also for my P30SK. Note being a hybrid it is not the easiest to holster when on the belt but great for all day comfort. I have trimmed the excess off the two clips now that I have it set the way I want.

·
Registered
319 Posts
OWBs are easy, this review is for IWB fitting a guy with chub which is hard
I understand that thanks. But i can only give me personal experience not what ive heard through the grape vine. But i did give a name brand which is why i even commented in the first place. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am really happy with my Garrett Silent Thunder Fusion Hybrid. Minimal footprint for a hybrid. I have one for my P30LS and now use it also for my P30SK. Note being a hybrid it is not the easiest to holster when on the belt but great for all day comfort. I have trimmed the excess off the two clips now that I have it set the way I want.

Sweet looking holster. Prob some of the best ive seen!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts