HKPRO Forums banner

Operation Big Reveal

30K views 240 replies 74 participants last post by  Giver 
#1 ·
So...
I'm ensconced in a Hampton waiting for Phase I on HK's big reveal near Orlando. They will not lift the super secret squirrel embargo on what IT is. But I do know that I have a tasty bit of swag on deck...

See less See more
#228 ·
P365 is a stack and half. The pictured patent with the side button mag release has no rail on the front (which is very glockish) so I would say 6-7 rounds. I do not see this going very well with no way to add attachments. Not that it needs attachments, but the option to some people will be a con and choose something else instead.

#233 · (Edited)
I see nothing in that patent that is novel. It is an issued patent though, so thereis something new there that is patentable. There must be more to it than what is shown otherwise this would be rejected quickly. And Yes, I have experience with patents (4 issued ones so far). This could simply be an example embodiment, it is the claims that matter. I need to read it to weed out fact from fiction.

EDIT: the patent cited both the Sig 365 and SA Hellcat so it is playing in the same sandbox.

#236 ·
For supposedly having experience with patents, I'm surprised you have no idea what a Design Patent is. Note the Claims: "CLAIM The ornamental design for a handgun, as shown and described."

Also, the "D" prefix to the patent no.

Also, the Description:

FIG. 1 is a first isometric view of the handgun;

FIG. 2 is a second isometric view thereof;

FIG. 3 is a left side elevational view thereof;

FIG. 4 is a right side elevational view thereof;

FIG. 5 is a front elevational view thereof;

FIG. 6 is a rear elevational view thereof;

FIG. 7 is a top plan view thereof; and,

FIG. 8 is a bottom plan view thereof.

The portions of the handgun depicted in broken lines form no part of the claimed design.

All dead giveaways that this is not a utility patent, but rather, a design patent. You don't need anything functionally novel to be granted a design patent. Just has to be a unique ornamental design, which this clearly is.

#234 ·
The patent application was submitted in early 2019, so assuming they developed on it for a year before submitting a provisional they have been working on this for at least 3 years. The patent issued May 4th, so I am guessing Legal gave Operations the all-clear to go into production. Hence the ”6 months hopefully” comment. They have to tool up, go through OQ and PQ, then start making sellable parts. It’s going to be a while….

#235 ·
I've been away from the forum for a while and I'm glad straightgrain, is bringing this info. to the forum. I've been a long time HK fan all the way back when Quality Parts/Bushmaster was an official HK parts distributer. Over the years, what I have come to appreciate most about HK is their commitment to turning out excellent products. Most manufacturers have their periods of questionable quality control or design shortcomings. It's been my observation that of all the manufacturers, it seems HK has probably had the fewest problems with their products. I really appreciate the extra time they take to fully work out the bugs of a new design before releasing it to the public. I've NEVER felt like a beta tester with HK products.

As far as new products go, I'm hoping HK will offer a competitor to the P365/Hellcat/Shield+ with a novel high capacity option through a combination of magazine design and form fitting extended magazine extensions, like they've been doing with the P30/VP9SK but with a slimmer frame.

I was quite tempted to pick up a light LEM P30SK with some 13rnd magazines. I decided to put that on hold to see how their new pistol turns out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.