HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting back into shooting after a long absence, and would like opinions about the handgun I just purchased. (I'm still in my 3-day waiting period, so have options.) I originally purchased a Walther P99 in 40-cal, because the fit in my hand seemed perfect, but then had second thoughts, due to: 1) a future need to conceal-carry; and 2) a desire to get involved in IDPA and match shooting. So, I changed out my purchase to a HK USP9C in 9mm. I know it's a good gun for concealment, but is it a solid choice for IDPA competition, with its 3 1/2" barrel? I know nothing about IDPA and "preferred" guns.

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
IDPA is meant for practicing up close and personal semi-dynamic shooting. Basically giving you shooting experience outside of the square range at self defense distances.

Most people who are in it for those purposes tend to run their carry gun and gear.

It makes a lot more sense to choose the best carry gun and to use that for IDPA rather than to choose the best IDPA gun and then "have" to use that for carry.

You're USPc is an excellent carry gun and will be just fine for IDPA style shooting.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It makes a lot more sense to choose the best carry gun and to use that for IDPA rather than to choose the best IDPA gun and then "have" to use that for carry.

You're USPc is an excellent carry gun and will be just fine for IDPA style shooting.
Thank you, Carrots -- I was hoping that would be the case. I'm picking it up tomorrow and looking forward to breaking it in. Any suggestions with regard to the leather I should look for, for my dual purposes?

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
For semi-basic leather I like the TT Gunleather "Slim" IWB & the Mitch Rosen "Premier" belt slide OWB. Neither are off the rack, but both are available with a minimum wait time considering that they are technically "custom" made. Quality is very good, perhaps a bit too good for a first go around depending on your budget.

To start I would suggest looking at the basic styles of holster that are currently made (inside / outside the pants, single loop / double loop etc) and thinking about where and how you want to carry the gun. You will find that whilst there are plenty of subtle variations, the basic styles are for the most part very similar. Popular designs tend to be copied and frankly there are only so many ways to skin a cat successfully. Google around and look for reviews and forum posts about different companies and different holsters. There is a bunch of material out there for those willing to take the time to look.

OWB will probably be more comfortable and maybe/probably "better" for IDPA (slightly quicker draw without the need to move cover garment), but harder to cover up and conceal especially when carrying in lighter clothing. I see that you are in IL and so perhaps discreet concealed carry is not your biggest priority?!

**Generally** the wider footprint double loop style IWB holsters (like the popular "VMII") suit folks with more mid section and the slimmer single loop style thinner holsters (like the "Summer Special") suit smaller folks. But it can and will vary, and where on the belt you intend to keep the gun is of course another consideration as well as the shape and profile of the gun itself.

Once you have a general idea of what you like and what you think will work look through a few vendor websites and compare the products, prices and availability -

This is a good list to get you started....

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/saddlery/130548-holster-maker-directory.html

Fit and finish will vary, and there is something for every taste and every budget. Generally you will get what you pay for. Feel & comfort is obviously subjective and you will just have to experiment. The USPc is not the smallest pistol in the world, but it can be comfortably carried pretty easily by most.

You might want to consider Kydex also - not quite as comfy IWB as leather but very functional if you are OK with a bit more holster wear and plan on getting dirty now and again.

Oh and get a good quality gun belt. Both of these are good choices if the holster maker that you choose does not offer their own belts :-

Gun Belts by The Belt Man
Quality Hand Crafted Leather Belts Made One at a Time - AG Custom Gun Leather

If you go kydex, these belts work well with that material - Tactical Gear, Tactical Equipment, Duty Belts, Slings, USA

Hope this helps, and good luck with it!

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
And of course you will probably want a single and a double magazine carrier. The latter definitely for IDPA.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Welcome to the forum & congrats on a great purchase choice. Anything Carrots says about the leather stuff can be taken as gospel. He could write a book about this stuff and is a wealth of solid information about holsters & related equipment. His avatar with "Leather Fiend" is no joke! What he said about getting what you pay for is true. Take a look at the saddlery & the gallery section, to see what's available before you make a buy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For semi-basic leather I like the TT Gunleather "Slim" IWB & the Mitch Rosen "Premier" belt slide OWB. Neither are off the rack, but both are available with a minimum wait time considering that they are technically "custom" made. Quality is very good, perhaps a bit too good for a first go around depending on your budget. [...] Hope this helps, and good luck with it!
Yes, I'm liking that Mitch Rosen Premier, from the looks of it. I'm almost certain not to buy Kydex; I like the look and feel of leather. Going to go with the OWB for IDPA, first participation is on the 27th. Concealed carry can wait until my state decides what it's going to do!

Carrots, thank you for going "above and beyond" with very helpful advice. I had done some looking around, but hadn't heard of the makers you mentioned. Your advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the forum & congrats on a great purchase choice. [...] What he said about getting what you pay for is true. Take a look at the saddlery & the gallery section, to see what's available before you make a buy.
Definitely not going to skimp on a holster ... wife has been bugging me to be more style-conscious! Thanks for the welcome.

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
You're welcome!

If you like the style of the Rosen Premier and are happy at that kind of price point also look at the Alessi CQC, Fit and finish is not quite as nice, but functionally they are a wash and the style is very similar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts