HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a USC/UMP conversion being done by TE as we speak (non-SBR version). I am pretty sure that I want to put optics on it. I originally thought that I wanted an Aimpoint Comp M but now I am leaning toward the Eotech 552. I assume that it would mount directly on the factory USC top rail? Any other thoughts or help on optics and mounts from you HKPro's out there? Experience and pics with the different optics are appreciated?

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
150 Posts
id go with the aimpoint, over the eotech, my personal opinion, accurate as hell gun so the optics arent really over kill with a aimpoint.
i have a reflex type HAKKO pandora, 4 reticule site, just like the ATN ultra site in cabela's , $189. any one ive shown it to are very impressed by it and ask where to buy it.
i can stand up and drill 1-2 inch holes in silouette heads all day with the fore end grip installed. very nice, but what ever you want, i just dont particularly like the eotech other than it looks like it is built tough to endure idiots beating the hell out of it. i dont need indestructable
your choice , my .02c

·
Registered
532 Posts
Open sights are plenty accurate for the .45ACP round, but if you plan to be doing a lot of shooting out to 100 yards, a red dot will certainly help to tighten up the groups a bit. When shooting at anything less than 75 yads, it's very easy to just center up the front sight and keep your rear ghost ring fuzzy and you'll hit center of mass every time.

Open sights picture (since you asked):

For awhile, I had my USC conversion configured with a Trijicon TriPower on an Arms throw-lever mount, but this was simply overkill and quite heavy for the short range shooting that I do. It didn't seem to be that much more accurate at longer distances, either, and the drop compensator of the red chevron was a poor match for the USC bullet trajectory (8" registered SBR). If I had it to do over again - and I just might - I'd go with a Zeiss Z-Point red dot new out on the market. These look to be a good match for the lightweight USC carbine while also offering shock proof, waterproof, fogproof, and robust polymer design. Since the reticle is lit by fiber optics in the daytime and battery at night (IIRC), it features a simple single dot for centered aiming.

For me, I think the single point red dot is the most accurate sight for this gun, simply because you can set it for Point Blank Zero at 25 yds (or so), and then know that it's also Battle Sight Zero'd at 100. This should make intermediate elevation adjustments a bit easier in the field. For my open sights, I just machined a 'hash' into the front post at exactly halfway between the white dot outline (Tritium NS), and the base - this provides a 200 yd aiming point for easier aiming for first shot hits at LONG distances (note: 200gr SWC lead bullet reloads - other bullet weights will differ in POI). HTH,

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the EOTECH sitting on a #5 ARMS mount so that I can also use the "iron" sights also.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My UMP conversion is on its way back now and I plan on using the Ziess red dot (the one sold on cals and also used on the MP7 . It just doesnt look like its to big. Has anyone tried the G36 dual optic mounted to a rail instead of the carry handle . That might be interesting.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Anyone that has experience with the Eotech have anything good (or bad) to say? Pics? I like it but seems like it might be kinda big on top of that rifle.
tbostic: Who did your conversion?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Need to check out the Trijicon Reflex II. No batteries, works in day/night, hits where you point it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I have the EOTECH sitting on a #5 ARMS mount so that I can also use the "iron" sights also.

[/ QUOTE ]

You talking about being able to quickly remove the optics, or being able to co-witness?? I know the Aimpoint can be made to, but never heard of the Eotech being able to.

Anywho, I have the Eotech 552 and absolutely love it. I tend to baby my weapons, but the thing looks rugged as all hell, and even if the glass breaks/cracks, as long as there is some left in the sight, its still useable.

Here are a couple pics of mine w/ it mounted..

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
I don't care for the eotech..... and I really like the aimpoint's, but that is really just my opinion. I currently run an ACOG on my AR at work. Some of the guys at work have had problems with their eotechs powering up while in the rifle racks and runnning the batteries down... just a thought if you are thinking of using it on a working gun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an Eotech 512 (I don't really see any chance of needing night vision modes so why spend $60 more for the 552) on my UMP wannabe and I love it. I find that it the look is perfect for the UMP and the large viewing window makes fast target acquisition a breeze.

·
Registered
2 Posts
THe #5 ARMS mount has a hole in it so that you can use the sights under the EOTECH

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[ QUOTE ]
T.E has done my conversion. I am selling USA made followers and floorplates if you need any extras .

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the pics. I plan on buying a set(s) for the G36 as well as the UMP. I am just a little short on cash at the moment. I am also interested in the trigger parts you said you were working on.

·
Needs Therapy
689 Posts
I havent tried my Zeiss on the USC yet, but you want to be careful with the Zeiss, it sits very low. Your dot may not co-witness or it may. It does not co-witness on an MP5K with the low pro BT mount. It seems the USC front sight is the same height almost. On the MP5, you'll see the top of the front sight hood.

M

1 - 15 of 15 Posts