HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to mount a Harris bipod to my PTR91. It currently has the plastic narrow handguard. I started looking at railed fore ends but the options (and prices) are a bit overwhelming. I'm willing to spend the money, but not blindly. I really only want a bipod, so a tri-rail seems excessive. Any suggestions on what (and where) to buy?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I considered that but I don't like that the height isn't adjustable and I'm already planning on doing a magpul adjustable stock. Initially I wanted to stay original so I bought wood furniture but the butt stock keeps loosening and the hand guard pinches the barrel so I opted to scrap that plan and go 100% function.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Are all three screws on the buffer tight? That is what holds the stock together.

The handguard shouldn't even touch the barrel. (well, that depends on the profile...)

Dennis

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
How about mounting a piece of pic rail to a spare handguard, or just a sling stud? I am doing the pic rail on 33 Handguard until Dakota Tactical comes out with a 33/93 length keymod one.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
You could get yourself a used HK91 wide handguard. A Magpul MOE picatinny polymer rail section, drill a couple holes in the handguard and mount the rail. The Magpul rail sections include screws and backing plates (the threaded piece that the screw screws into that goes inside the handguard) so other than a drill you're a few clicks away from success! :wink:

EDIT: @kbinmt beat me!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Are all three screws on the buffer tight? That is what holds the stock together.

The handguard shouldn't even touch the barrel. (well, that depends on the profile...)

Dennis
Yeah I've gone through and tightened them all a couple times but it seems to loosen after a few rounds. I'm open to the possibility that I'm just an idiot however.
As for the front handguns, the plastic one doesn't touch but the wood definitely does. It's a heavy profile barrel and leaves marks on the hand guard where it presses against the barrel.

I'm intrigued by the idea of mounting a short rail to the wide hand guard but I'm not super confident about drilling expensive parts.

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
The 33 Handguard I am using has a broken bipod latch, and came from the pay-it-forward thread. I was thinking one of the cheap narrow g3 forearms. Btw, your wood set is likely worth a nice handguard, these days. The wood forearms are particularly scarce.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm looking to mount a Harris bipod to my PTR91. It currently has the plastic narrow handguard. I started looking at railed fore ends but the options (and prices) are a bit overwhelming. I'm willing to spend the money, but not blindly. I really only want a bipod, so a tri-rail seems excessive. Any suggestions on what (and where) to buy?
I've seen pictures of angled rails mounted on the slim hand guards on German service G3's using Harris bipods. I have an new angled rail left over from a Sig USA P556 rail kit. I purchased the kit to use the side rails on my 553. I think it will work for what you are wanting to do.

PM me your address and I'll mail the rail to you with the screws & nuts.

Mike

·
Registered
493 Posts
Remove one of the rivets to the bipod retainer spring and replace with a Harris 2A bipod adapter. The curved adapter will follow the contour of the heat shield and you just need to drilll through the rivet hole and through the heat shield with a bit that will allow the threaded stud to pass through. Drill the heat shield from the inside with a proper diameter bit to open up the hole in the heat shield to allow the threaded nut to pass through and touch the inside of the plastic handguard. Install the swivel stud and you are done. Works great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts