HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two months ago, I finally made good on my threat to bail out of Kalifornia. I'm getting settled in Alexandria, and I'm looking for an outdoor rifle range or a gun club in NoVA.

Does anybody have any recommendations? The Fairfax Rod and Gun Club seems nice, but evidently you need sponsors. I don't suppose anybody here is a member? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can also investigate the Izaak Walton League chapters. There is the Alexandria IWLA nine miles west on Rte 610 (Garrisonville Rd), Stafford, The Arlington IWLA in Centerville, and the Rappahannock IWLA off Rte 3, Spotsylvania County in the Fredericksburg area. Each is quite different. Google the websites.

Other than what has been mentioned, I don't know of any other outdoor ranges in your area. There are a couple of indoor ranges, though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I didn't know there were other people in Fredericksburg or in the vicinity. We should get together and put burn some ammo up one day.

-Courtney

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old post but I was looking for the same. Probably could find someone whos a regular member at Quantico to sponsor me but I'm in Sterling so the IWLA would be less of a hike.

Anyone a member there? Fees arent bad but Im curious about the mandatory 8 hour service. Its fine if Im doing some kind of community service. But one of the possible "jobs" listed sounded very much like being a secretary... Do you have a say in what you do?

·
Registered
50 Posts
what about BlueRidge in Chantilly? I'm in Fairfax so that's the only viable option for me. I heard Clarks down in Warrenton is ok but you have to buy their ammo to use the range for free.

Blueridge current rates are:

Hourly:

1 person on 1 lane: $20
2 people on 1 lane: $30
3 people on 1 lane: $40
4 people on 1 lane: $50

membership is:

initial 1 time member fee: $100 ($50 for LE or active duty/reservist military)

individual annual: $35/month
family annual: $45/month
military and LE: individual $30/month
family $35/month

I'm DoD civilian so I may try to get in without the military sponsor requirement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I go to Blueridge and NRA a lot. I'll probably get a membership at blueridge due to its distance, price, and hours. NRA is $350...

Quantico is just too far.

The problem is Blueridge is only 25 yard indoor... Thats fine for when I want to shoot my pistol but not so much for my AK. I'd like to take the AK to at least 100 yard out door every now and then.

·
Registered
50 Posts
any ranges that support tactical shotguuning? Like an outdoor range where you can do mag dumps on targets with buckshot and slugs?

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Blue Ridge in Chantilly does allow full auto guns while the NRA is not so willing and I am told will close the range while you walk up front and shoot. Blue ridge requests you keep the auto fire to about five round bursts each time.

Blue Ridge is nice but very hot in the summer even with the AC units they have running.

Blue Ridge has changed their rifle side policy and charge you $20 every time you hit the metal bracket used to secure the target. I think this sucks since the bracket does not cost that much to even make.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
NOVA Ranges

I'm a member at both Blue Ridge and Quantico though don't get down to Quantico as often. I have also shot at Clarks and the NRA. My .02 is as follows:

Quantico: Good for long range (600yds) but have all your gear (target stands, staplers, mats etc). Tables are available but for the most part you are out in the elements. Don't forget to police your brass and to check the schedule on the internet before you go!

Clarks: Must buy their ammo (not too bad). Long drive from downtown. Goes out to 100 yards in 25 yard increments. Like Quantico, you have to wait for cease-fires to go down range. Also don't move guns (even cased) on and off the range except when the range officer tells you to or you will get yelled at. (been there)

NRA: Crowded. Good 50 yard range though.

Blue Ridge: Become a member and then you rarely wait for a spot. Good range limited to 25 yds. On crowded days it can get hot and the smell of powder is in the air. My first choice of the four.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
For pistol rounds (like the MP5 family of weapons), there is also Gilbert Small Arms Range right off 95 South of Springfield. Complete mag dumps in full auto are OK, you don't have to buy their ammo, you can pick up your brass or sweep it away for them to collect up, no list of fines for hitting something other than the paper target, membership rates are reasonable, and they aren't predisposed with an attitude.

http://gilbertrange.com/

·
Registered
50 Posts
if you want to shoot full auto, anything goes in an outdoor setting, try Gore, VA. It's out by Winchester. The range is on top of a mountain with a dirt road access but 4wd vechicle is recommended. If you have centerfire military battle rifles and such, this is a good place to spend the day blazing up targets rather than be stuck at an indoor range. Bring your own targets, even gas canisters. Someone told me about Hite Hollow as well. They hold full auto demos and shoots down there, google for more info.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does Clark's sell 9mm 147gr ammo for shooting suppressed? I have yet to find an outdoor range around Alexandria. I had a contact at the Fairfax Rod and Gun Club but due to my travel schedule, still haven't been able to coordinate a time to get together. Meanwhile, I've been shooting my pistols indoors at Gilbert's. Like all indoor ranges, it's loud (which is why I bring my silencers). Folks running the store are decent people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tactical shotgun

Servn99, You can shoot shotgun at Gilbert Small Arms Range in Newington. The only requirement is that the lane(s) next to you are vacant. I shoot shotgun almost every week and have not had a problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts