HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,497 Posts
He's made it pretty clear on many occasions that he's not a fan of the MP5 series.
Not surprised that this video is negative in nature as well. Too bad, that his instruction and experience was so poor as to not get the full potential from the weapons.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I Agree.

There were quite a few things in there, particularly how he's working the selector that I was taught (and do) very differently.

The good thing that I took from it was seeing an experienced lefty run the gun.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
The caliber remarks are pretty ignorant. Has nobody introduced him to a 53 or 33k?

This is a perfect example of somebody getting trained well enough and getting enough experience, but so narrowly focused, then becoming too closed minded and biased about other options. While watching this video, I had about 15 counterpoints pop into my head.

All that being said, it was still informative and interesting.

My advice, however, is not to take the words of one person like they were the printed text of the bible. There are way too many different opinions between experts. You need to extract the parts form each that work the best for you.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I also just read the Hackathorn MP5 article from 2009 or so, which was a nice counterpoint to the MK18 craze.

Mission should drive equipment, no?

For home defense the most likely scenario is an engagement inside your house. If you could have quick access to a long gun, would you recommend the semi-only MP5? If you have kids/family, then a suppressed MP5?

I am not LE/Mil but it almost seems like the 300BLK would be able to fill the short+quiet role and long+loud role with the a magazine swap.

Just trying to be objective. Thanks to Zenith/MKE I finally got a bucket list firearm: an MP5K-ski!:redface: So I am new to the PCC/sub-gun culture and learning as much as I can. Hopefully down the road I can take a focused class on operating one from Hack/LAV/James.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,497 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I also just read the Hackathorn MP5 article from 2009 or so, which was a nice counterpoint to the MK18 craze.

Mission should drive equipment, no?

For home defense the most likely scenario is an engagement inside your house. If you could have quick access to a long gun, would you recommend the semi-only MP5? If you have kids/family, then a suppressed MP5?

I am not LE/Mil but it almost seems like the 300BLK would be able to fill the short+quiet role and long+loud role with the a magazine swap.

Just trying to be objective. Thanks to Zenith/MKE I finally got a bucket list firearm: an MP5K-ski!:redface: So I am new to the PCC/sub-gun culture and learning as much as I can. Hopefully down the road I can take a focused class on operating one from Hack/LAV/James.
Good points.

What many people fail to remember when discussing the MP5 or any sub-machinegun and the whole carbine vs. sub-machinegun role, is that whatever you choose is just a tool. We all want more than one tool in our tool box, right? If all we have is a hammer, then every problem starts to look like a nail.

Their are specific scenarios where a sub-machinegun is the right tool and others where it is not. Some teams have the ability to field both sub-machineguns and carbines/rifles to their members, allowing them to open the trunk and pick the right one for that mission. And even those that do not have the capability to arm their members with both, are often smart enough to understand the benefit of having a mix. In other words, there is often a greater benefit to have, for example, a four man team armed with a mix of weapons, then all four with the same.

This video and many discussion I come across neglect these points.

Ken has all but retired and neither him nor Larry offer any HK-focused courses. I say this being as humble as possible, if you want to learn to run or become more proficient at running the MP5, you need to join us for training.

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
^^^I'll second that...a course well worth attending. And I look fwd to the day when I can make it up for the next level up MP5 course.

I did notice that the dude in the video had a different mag swap /reload sequence then what I learned. Then again, I've been taught at least two- each with their strong points.

·
Priest of the P7
5,316 Posts
Get that guy some Dayquil.
Haha, poor guy was snifflier than the Donald at a debate. Somebody definitely needs to wipe those MP5s down with some hand sanitizer. Still, decent video. Different strokes for different folks. I used to share the opinion that a Stoner platform SBR rendered a subgun kind of obsolete until I picked up a SP5K PDW and it was half the weight or less. Tiny, light little package with a more easily suppressible cartridge that I think there is definitely a good use for. I'm looking forward to someone showing me how to really use one.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Wow... A forced entry with a select fire weapon set to full auto would seem a little bizarre!
The rest just seemed like "Blah, Blah(Bash MP5)... Blah, Blah, Blah(Bash MP5 again)".

·
Priest of the P7
5,316 Posts

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,497 Posts
To further my original discussion, I also find it interesting that he displays the weapons in their original configuration; late 80s MP5 and early 90s MP5K-N. He then talks about how outdated they are.
Interesting, as every team I work with that still uses MP5 series weapons has upgraded them as new technology and accessory options become available.
I'm confident that the carbines he refers to being a far bigger fan of are not in their late 80s configuration. They certainly have all the latest stocks, rails, selectors, lights, laser, optics, and so on. Hell, find me a department that still runs a gun from the late 80s/early 90s, regardless of the upgrades it may have, and I can almost guarantee that gun is a MP5 series.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good points.

What many people fail to remember when discussing the MP5 or any sub-machinegun and the whole carbine vs. sub-machinegun role, is that whatever you choose is just a tool. We all want more than one tool in our tool box, right? If all we have is a hammer, then every problem starts to look like a nail.

Their are specific scenarios where a sub-machinegun is the right tool and others where it is not. Some teams have the ability to field both sub-machineguns and carbines/rifles to their members, allowing them to open the trunk and pick the right one for that mission. And even those that do not have the capability to arm their members with both, are often smart enough to understand the benefit of having a mix. In other words, there is often a greater benefit to have, for example, a four man team armed with a mix of weapons, then all four with the same.

This video and many discussion I come across neglect these points.

Ken has all but retired and neither him nor Larry offer any HK-focused courses. I say this being as humble as possible, if you want to learn to run or become more proficient at running the MP5, you need to join us for training.

James,

In Ken's 2009 article does he say positive or negative things about the MP5? Also, recently I was in a SEAL TEAM Armory and noticed an entire wall of MP5Ks. I asked what they used for and was told they were used for CQB, personnel protection and low visibility. I just thought I mention that to inform all those folks that think the MP5 is no longer used in the military.

Thanks,

Kelly

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,497 Posts
James,

In Ken's 2009 article does he say positive or negative things about the MP5? Also, recently I was in a SEAL TEAM Armory and noticed an entire wall of MP5Ks. I asked what they used for and was told they were used for CQB, personnel protection and low visibility. I just thought I mention that to inform all those folks that think the MP5 is no longer used in the military.

Thanks,

Kelly
Kelly,

I found Ken's comments on the weapon to be positive, as are many who have real experience with the weapons.
I can also tell you from my time close with US Army Special Operations that all of the 9mm MP5 variants still see use in certain roles. Here in the US, HK still receives regular orders for MP5 series weapons from all manner of LE agencies, many of which are replacing older models that have been in use for three or four decades.
Overseas, especially in Europe, as the past few years of terror attacks have displayed, the MP5 series is still a major player.
The MP5, regardless of what some people will pontificate, lives on.

·
Requiescat In Pace
3,807 Posts
James,

Thanks,

Kelly
It will take a new caliber and cartridge (.300BO) and weapons platform to unseat the MP5's in these units.
The MP5 is the only roller-locked HK made at HK GmbH still today and for good reason.
The MP5 does have its weak areas but maybe more T's, Crows and HVT's have been killed with it than any other SMG.
The MP5K-PDW is still widely used for close-in VIP protection from under cover as well.
G3Kurz

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
12,037 Posts
Thanks to all for keeping this discussion HK focused.

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
ive always been of the understanding (or mis-understanding) that the MP5 has basically been replaced by AR15 variants for 90%+ of roles simply based on difference in ammo (556 vs 9mm).

Am I right or wrong on that being the single dominant factor in the switch/upgrade/downgrade?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts