HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HK nation,
I am a proud (recent) owner of the HK VP9 and P2000sk. I've often read and heard that the USP series pistols are in a "league of their own". My question is...is there a big difference in build and overall quality of the USP vs. non-USP HK handguns or are they all at the level of quality that one comes to expect from the Company?

Thanks!

·
Priest of the P7
4,967 Posts
HK nation,
I am a proud (recent) owner of the HK VP9 and P2000sk. I've often read and heard that the USP series pistols are in a "league of their own". My question is...is there a big difference in build and overall quality of the USP vs. non-USP HK handguns or are they all at the level of quality that one comes to expect from the Company?

Thanks!
No difference. The P series is a continuation of the USP line.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Agreed. I am fortunate to have two of each, and one USP is old and the other new. No difference in quality. Internally, mechanically *very* similar.

The difference is in the "feel" in the hand and the shape and location of the controls -- the P2000 and P30 grips and controls have evolved since the USP. Ultimately, neither is "better" than the other.

As far as the USP being "in a league of its own," for geezers like me the USP's 1911-like feel is more of the classic "what a gun should feel like," so the USP just "feels right" to me. That said, there's no denying that the ergonomics of the P30 are excellent. I regularly rotate my EDC between a USPc and a P30.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I own a P30 in 9mm and a P30L in 40 as well as a USP 40 and a USP 45 Tactical. I prefer the USP pistols but mainly because they fit my hand better and I don't care for the groove in the trigger guard of the P30's.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Absolutely no difference in the quality of build or materials between the P30series FS and sk, P2000 series FS and sk, HK 45's , or the USP series. In fact, the P2000series(FS and sk) are called the updated models of the USP. Can't comment on the VP9's as I don't own any striker fired handguns.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Build quality is the same, but in my opinion, the USP has a superior trigger - especially with the Match trigger kit. Even without the match kit, the reset distance and DA pull distance is shorter in the USP vs the P series.

P-series has better ergonomics. USP has better trigger. Pick your poison. I like both a lot. The P2000 is easily one of my favorite HK's and definitely the most carried of my collection. It actually had a superbly crisp and smooth trigger out of box. One that puts the trigger on my P30L to shame. It's made me want to send my P30L off for a trigger job just because the P2000 trigger is so good for a carry trigger.

The well broken in match trigger on my USP 45 is easily the best HK trigger I have, even compared to the same trigger set up on my USP 9. Not sure if it's just seen more use or is a result of good luck in tolerance stacking.

Either way, all of HK's models are excellent and you should buy with confidence. :)

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Own lot's of Hk models.
Build quality is outstanding with all.
Each model has it's own personality.
Personal preference may cause an individual to favor one over the other.
IMHO you can't lose with any Hk.

This may be why so many of us own so many Hks :wink:

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Fixed it for you!!! :wink:

Tony
You're delusional my friend.
A Roller-delayed blowback designed for heavy duty full auto isn't even in the same area code as a Mark 23 or USP.
Of course I'm biased - LOL!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree with the others, I own a USP, a HK45, a P30, and a P2000, they basically are all variations on the same design. The right one for you is the one that feels best to you and has the features you like most.

Personally, I am really liking the P2000 out of the group.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree with the others, I own a USP, a HK45, a P30, and a P2000, they basically are all variations on the same design. The right one for you is the one that feels best to you and has the features you like most.

This^^^^^^^sums it up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Agree build quality is the same. Also agree the usp has a better trigger, especially with match.

I'll add that I prefer the p30 and p2000 grips in 9mm, but prefer the grip of the USP and USPC in 45. the smaller caliber USP lines seem to have compact sized grips while the p series are a lot more generous for larger hands.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Same quality.....some of the best made pistols on planet earth!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have tried to love the USPc, but in the end it just doesn't feel right to me--the P2000, in spite of having a heavier trigger, is much faster for me to shoot, easier to shoot accurately, has less muzzle flip, and is more comfortable to carry. I'm sure there is someone on here that is exactly opposite, though. Pick what works for your mission and gives you the best results on the clock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
...for geezers like me the USP's 1911-like feel is more of the classic "what a gun should feel like," so the USP just "feels right" to me. That said, there's no denying that the ergonomics of the P30 are excellent. I regularly rotate my EDC between a USPc and a P30.
Agreed completely. The P30 feels really nice and comfy, but the USP feels like a real tool, sort of like holding a comfy hatchet or hammer. I also think the USP just has more overall space to manipulate things and the P30 (at least the "S" models) is a little more cramped to me.

Personal preference may cause an individual to favor one over the other.
You nailed it too. Some people think I'm out of my head for preferring USPs to P30s.

·
Registered
545 Posts

and the HK.45C is mix off all. LOL

1 - 20 of 39 Posts