HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I recently purchased the H&K P2000 in 40 caliber, I subsequently purchased the 357 Sig barrel as well. Today I had an opportunity to go to the range and fire some rounds......
The distance was 100', I used .357 Sig 125 grain Gain FMJ and .40 cal 180 Grain TMJ. Both were reloads made by Georgia Arms.
My stance was a combination of 2 hand Weaver Stance, unsupported weak hand and unsupported strong hand.
NO malfunctions, no problems of any type. The empty cases were thrown 5-6' away.

One target was 100 rounds of .357 Sig, the other target was 5o rounds of .40 cal and around the head area was 2 cylinders of my S&W 640 J frame that I sometimes CCW.
The head shots are how to distinguish the 2 calibers.........

Observations: when I changed to the .357 Sig barrel, the POI was about 2" lower than with the .40 cal. AGAIN that was at 100'
The .40 cal was more accurate for me than the .357 Sig.
The .357 Sig has slightly more recoil than the .40. Noticeable more, but not night and day...
The head shots from my J frame was from medium range, 148 grain wadcutters also at 100'

All in all, I am very please with my P2000 and have concluded that I will do well with either the .357 or the .40 as my CCW.
I find that the P2000 is the perfect size and weight vs capacity for CCW.
When the summer months roll in, I will most likely deploy my J frame for CCW, but this P2000 would not be objectionable.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Congrats!

and good shooting.

I wonder what the MVs on the .40 and .357S were in relation to the 357S recoiling more. I actually find the 357S recoils less at least when using Speer 125 Gold dots (or my reloads at he same MV) VS a stout 165 grain .40 load.

Chuck

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Georgia Arms list the velocity of the .357 Sig, 125 grain at 1300 FPS and the .40 cal, 180 grain at 950 FPS.
They don't reference a barrel length, but I suspect it is a standard 4" barrel??
IMHO; the Georgia Arms bulk price appears to be a great value.
In all my years of shooting and using GA ammo, I never had a dud or misfire.
I can just imagine what .357 Sig, 125 grain at 1450 FPS must recoil like?
So now my big decision is do I CCW the .40 or the .357 Sig?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I carry 357 Sig in my 40 S&W P2000SK. My impression is 357 Sig has more blast than felt recoil. The blast fools me into thinking it should have more recoil.

The 40 S&W recoil is like thumping a baseball bat into my palm. It is a solid push in my palm.

Since the p2sk has a shorter barrel and dual recoil springs, the perceived recoil is probably different with the P2000.

For POI, I have the opposite result at 7 yards.

357 Sig was above my point of aim.
Shooting sport Yellow Recreation Circle Target archery

And 40 S&W impact for closer to point of aim.
Yellow Circle Recreation Shooting sport

When I first heard about 357 Sig in 1995, I always wanted to try it out. When I learned that the 40 S&W p2sk could chamber it with a Genuine HK barrel, I jumped on it. LifeSizePotato posted a YouTube video that really sums up why I like 357 Sig.

Nice shootin' and welcome to the 357 Sig club!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I CCW the 357 SIG.

The 180 grain load is about 50 FPS off norm of 1000 and the 357SIG 125s are also about 50 FPS off the norm of 1350, so it is about an apples to apples comp. Normally I go heavy for caliber 147s in 9mm 230s in .45 and 180s in .40, becuase to be the heavier bullets do have a more sedate recoil impulse.

I've chronographed Speer 125 Gold Dots at 1296 out of the P2K's 3.66" barrel, so I load my 124/5 reloads to the same MV. I agree with borieddd704, the 357S to me is more "bark" than bite due to the muzzle blast which is pretty impressive (especially if you do any shooting through/around cover). IF you look at the ballistics of most of the common 357S SD loads they're all running at about 1350 advertised MV until you get into he boutique stuff, so it's running a little hotter than a 9mm 124 +P+ out of a 3.66" barrel.

On the clock, I'm faster with the 357S than I am with the .40, but only slightly in split times. I mostly carry the 357S for some potential increased reliability and .357S is cheaper for me to practice with.

Flip a coin.....or better yet carry which ever cartridge you can afford to shoot more of. I reload 357S cheaper than I can .40 just due to the delta in bullet weight.

Good luck and again Congrats!

Chuck

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I did do a conversion, but am also retaining the .40 barrel. The barrel is an original H&K.
I attached the pictures again of the barrel still in the unopened bag.
Fantastic experience with the .357 Sig as it really has a bark.
In fact, my buddy in the lane next to me had to stand back when I was firing because the blast was intense......and we were at an outdoor range.

Attachments

·
Banned
848 Posts
That's a great caliber. We make several Sig conversion barrels for the .40's. I thought maybe you had one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts