HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yup, a ~ 200 lb man falling off a vehicle, possibly at speed, onto his firearm in holster can tend to do that. Notice where it broke, right at the start of the grip. All that weight and subsequent torque on the right spot.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Wow! Is this news to anyone? Yes, polymer can break under extreme conditions. I'm sure the guy who wound up in the hospital is thinking -- "if only I had been carrying an all-metal pistol, this never would have happened."

·
Registered
854 Posts
This proves nothing to me...except maybe this particular BPA needed some more training on ATV Safety! Also note where it broke in relation to the 'Serpa'; one has to wonder if he had been using a leather holster would the result have been the same?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Pretty vague description of the accident. I'm not sure I understand the motive behind this story? Are we suppose to run out and trade in all our Hk's for 1911's? Dude, you can't ride worth a s**t...

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This proves nothing to me...except maybe this particular BPA needed some more training on ATV Safety! Also note where it broke in relation to the 'Serpa'; one has to wonder if he had been using a leather holster would the result have been the same?
Yeah, I was going to blame it on the Serpa, too.:8:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Agreed. The rigid body of the Serpa and how far it holds the firearm away from the body certainly contributed.

As to the article's author's comments, if that had been a metal firearm the gun might not have broke, but how much more hurt would the rider likely have been?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I wonder what the weight of this BPA was. Unfortunately guns, like children, cannot pick their owners.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Put it in a vice to "prove a point". No one can tell what really happened. Nice try! lol

Gonna see some 1911/metal gun freaks and fanboys on here with 24 hours saying told you so, however we don't know if the fool put it in a vice and torque it to fail point. Yawn. Metal guns still have no merit over polymer and this story proves nothing. If it didn't happen in front of me I disregard.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Something tells me that the guy would've been hurt worse if the gun was all metal. More then likely the metal gun would've had some damage as well, but obviously no telling now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just show to go you, if you build it someone will keep trying until they break it! Notice it was on a training exercise and not chasing BGs! I understand they can only train as we don't want them hurting the BGs! JMHO vent!

·
Registered
231 Posts
This is part of the innovative design of the pistol.
If the bad guy is trying to wrestle away your pistol , it is designed to snap off in his hand rendering the pistol useless.
Those crazy Germans think of everything.:wink:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I call bs. Serpa is not strong enough to do this and would have ripped off from the hip. Like I said nice try.

·
Registered
14 Posts
While interesting, this is just a freak incident. We've all seen steel guns fail for various reasons. Any tool can fail.

That said, the solid feel of my P7M8 in a leather holster is still a comfort and I continue to have confidence in my USP's.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I guess with the break off, you could call it a P2000SK.
Maybe that's the next evolution. Just make the pistol grips long enough for the P30 mags, pre-scored at P2000 mag length and P2000sk mag length. That way you can snap the grip off as long as you want it.

I gotta crack a window. There may gas be leak in here......

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.