HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before you guys feed me to the wolves make sure that you read the whole post.

For the longest time I have disliked all HK handguns. I have found then ridiculously oversized (the USP series) or overpriced. I have steared many of my colleges away from them in favor of the Glock.

Now, yesterday I went to a buddies house to sling some lead in his back yard. The same crew was out there with are standard aray of firearms, Supressed M4's (Colt's), Benelli Super 90's, my MP5 (always the highlight), a bunch of Glocks and a Remington 700. So as we are eliminating paper with extreme prejudice I notice one of them had a new pistol (P2000). As I look a little closer I notice that is was an HK. I immediately frown and ask him how much money did he waste on that "thing". Seeing my reaction he picks up the weapon hands it over and tells me to "Shut the "F" up and shoot it."

I stroll over to the firing line, lock and load and start firing. As the first round was leaving the barrel god shed his light down on me and I had an epiphany. The trigger squeeze was soooooo smooth and it seemed that the sights set right back on my point of aim by themselves. I fired the rest of the mag and looked at the target. At 7 meters I was shooting a 1 1/2" group. For me that isn't too bad, I am not an expert pistol shot by any means but I am trying to relearn how to shoot left handed (I have an eye dominancy issue when it comes to pistol shooting).

So for the rest of the day I spent much of my time shooting the P2000, loving every second. I burned about 300 rounds of .40 cal ammo in exchange for letting my buddy shoot my MP5, making it a smooth bore :83: j/k. I was going to purchase a new Glock but my priorities have changed. I am not a fan of .40 cal so I am going to get one in 9mm.

Thank you HK, I love you.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Long held prejudices are always quickly washed away with a few rounds down range. ;)

Now if you can shoot a P30, you will be a complete convert. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
You get what you pay for, and the best always costs more...instead of the P2000, do yourself a favor (since you like the 9mm) and clam on to a P30 for comparison to the P2000 before you lay down the cash...

And if you like the 9mm, I'm certain you like the .45ACP as well. After playing with the P30 (which I'm fairly certain you'll like better than the P2000), handle a HK45. I have both and the HK45 is for carry (back-up to my Government in 10mm) while the P30 is for training and range work...

As with you, I've never cottoned to the .40 S&W. My 40 caliber handguns take the form of 10mm...good luck

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You get what you pay for, and the best always costs more...instead of the P2000, do yourself a favor (since you like the 9mm) and clam on to a P30 for comparison to the P2000 before you lay down the cash...

And if you like the 9mm, I'm certain you like the .45ACP as well. After playing with the P30 (which I'm fairly certain you'll like better than the P2000), handle a HK45. I have both and the HK45 is for carry (back-up to my Government in 10mm) while the P30 is for training and range work...

As with you, I've never cottoned to the .40 S&W. My 40 caliber handguns take the form of 10mm...good luck

Thanks for the advice I will check those out.

Yes I am a huge fan of the .45. I also like the 10mm, especially the MP5/10.

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
You will be assimilated!

I'm a die hard HK guy but still couldn't justify the cost of replacing my P2000 with anything else. Until I handled the P30 this weekend. OMG! I must have that gun!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good for You!

yOU'RE All right by me. It takes a lot of honor to change your mind on something like that after you've taken the stance against something for a long time. thanks for the story. Lesser men have trouble admitting they were wrong.

·
Registered
77 Posts
As much as I hear about the P30.... I will not sacrifice my P2000.

The size, weight, capacity, accuracy and comfort of it makes it the best pistol for carry that I have run across.

The P30 is probably a better range gun but is dimensionally larger than the P2000.

My next HK, however, will be an HK45. :62:

PS: I can't agree more on the .40 If I want a .40 then I'll just pick up my S&W 1006.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Too many people don't give the .40 a fair shake. Yes it is "snappier" than a 9mm but with a good bit of practice this virtually becomes a non-issue. I can hammer COM all day with my USPc .40. Also, the recoil reduction of the USP makes it easier to control, so theres no better pistol I can think of for the .40 then an HK. I have shot a G23 as well and this too was very accurate, still there was less percieved recoil from the USP though.

I am a die hard USP guy. There is no way you can knock the sidearm of choice for the Navy SEALS. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not only did the P2000 change my feelings towards HK (particularly the USP series), but it also changed my view of the .40 S&W. I think my P2000 in .40 is the ultimate "shorty forty." The 9mm's aren't bad either.

I purchased a P30 a couple of weeks ago and put a little under 300 rounds through it. Nice pistol, great ergonomics, but I still prefer my P2000's for CCW duty.

Anybody looking for a lightly used P30?

Tim

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The P2000 is excellent. It, along with the old compact models, were the first HK pistols in a while that were really practical carry guns (Well, the P7 is the all-time champ, but I digress). The USP is an excellent gun too, but it is truly a combat pistol. If I was sitting in a cold mud-hole waiting on Russians, I could see the USP sitting in flap being a top-drawer choice. But for police or civllian carry, the P2000 is about as good as it gets in modern autoloaders.

·
Registered
821 Posts
oh, you so need to try a P30, before making any purchases. Or you will just buy the P2000, then the P30.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Why steer others away from HK because of your own predigests? What may not work for you, may work well for others. I always decide for myself, despite what my friends/others say...you know what they say about opinions...

Glad to see one HK opened your eyes

·
Registered
172 Posts
The trigger squeeze was soooooo smooth and it seemed that the sights set right back on my point of aim by themselves. I fired the rest of the mag and looked at the target. At 7 meters I was shooting a 1 1/2" group.

Thank you HK, I love you.
Was it a LEM or a DA/SA model ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LEM model

·
Registered
43 Posts
I own 3 hand guns ... a Sig-Sauer P226, a 1979 BHP (beautyfull blue) and a H&K P2000 (all 3 in 9 mm) .... I have to say that the P2000 is my favourite and my only CCW.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Not only did the P2000 change my feelings towards HK (particularly the USP series), but it also changed my view of the .40 S&W. I think my P2000 in .40 is the ultimate "shorty forty." The 9mm's aren't bad either.

I purchased a P30 a couple of weeks ago and put a little under 300 rounds through it. Nice pistol, great ergonomics, but I still prefer my P2000's for CCW duty.

Anybody looking for a lightly used P30?

Tim
+1

I cannot wait to find out if they will do an HK 40 or a P30 in .40 S&W. I am a big fan of the .40 round as it does an excellent job of being superior to 9mm and a good balance of capacity between the .45 ACP as well. I think it is essentially the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I fell in love with the P2000 also and bought one recently in 40. After going to the gun show this last weekend, I would definitely have to look at the P30 though if I was getting a 9mm - it was probably the most comfortable pistol I have ever held (P45 was very close also).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ambidexterous slide release, mag. release, and no safety to monkey with, I live my P2000. I bought it because I'm a lefty and recommend it because it is a great gun. I looked at everything else and HKP2000 is the only one with everything I wanted. Yes, they call me a HK snob. I like it!
-p2000lefty

1 - 20 of 52 Posts