HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried searching the forum but seems that extraction issues are related to defective or dirty extractors. I have a P2000 in .40 cal with a new extractor and new recoil assy. It seems to be erratic in extracting shells either rearward or upwards where shells land on my head front shirt, rear back or on my forehead. Would appreciate any ideas how to remedy this problem? Is there a stronger spring to use?

I shot 250 rounds already and still has the problem. Used armscor FMJ 180grain bullets which is what's available locally.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Please don't take these as insults. I don't know you, and just want to be sure some basics are covered. Even very experienced shooters miss something simple once in a while.

Is this a recent development, or has it always been this way since you started shooting it? If you're new to the gun, or it's been doing it since you got the gun, you may be limpwristing. Try letting someone else shoot it, to see if the problem stil happens. That will also give you the chance to attempt to watch the ejection happening.

When was the last time the gun was cleaned, and properly lubricated?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
It is not an extraction issue. This is an ejection characteristic. Nothing is wrong. It is your new, stiff recoil spring. The slide is not cycling as far back into the ejector, which is stationary. As the recoil spring softens up, ejection will improve.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
It is not an extraction issue. This is an ejection characteristic. Nothing is wrong. It is your new, stiff recoil spring. The slide is not cycling as far back into the ejector, which is stationary. As the recoil spring softens up, ejection will improve.
This^

·
Registered
365 Posts
Are you sure you didn't buy a 9mm Gen 4 Glock?

Just kidding. The advice given is sound and things should straighten up soon. If not, HK Warranty Repair will get you squared away.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice borderscop and to you all:) limp wristing not an issue. I hsve also let someone else shoot it and still same problem.

I have locked the slide tonight based on some threads that I have read here to soften the stiff recoil spring. Will update on what happens tomorrow at the range. Thanks

·
Registered
765 Posts
I hsve also let someone else shoot it and still same problem.
Were you able to observe the weapon while the other person was shooting it?
How about that cleaning and lube, I mentioned?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I did observe the other person with brass hitting him as well. Gun has been cleaned and oiled before going t o range.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
What he said...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
went to range yesterday and shot 150 rounds on the P2000 40cal and it did consistently eject brass towards the rear where it left brass marks on the on the side where the extractor rests. Seems the shells are hitting this portion then thrown towards me. Question now is.. is the extractor not extracting properly to throw the brass on the side?

Its highly possible that the recoil spring is still stiff as I also shot my USP 45 and it consistently extracted shells all to my right. Just making to rule out that the extractor is working as it should be.

·
Registered
276 Posts
^this
Op..keep shooting.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
. . . Question now is.. is the extractor not extracting properly to throw the brass on the side?. . .
Your extractor is not what throws the brass, it is your ejector that throws the brass when the slide cycles back and causes the empty brass to hit it. Notice that your ejector is on the left. The harder and deeper the slide goes into the ejector, the more positively your brass ejects to the right.

One of my 9mm guns came new with a very stiff recoil spring. When I run standard loads through it with that spring, the empty brass will bean you in the forehead, go down the front of a girl's shirt, or sometimes even just seem to dribble out of the ejection port. However, when I run the same loads with a reduced-power recoil spring in it, the brass ejects quite positively, about 5 feet to the right.

Most or all new semiautos come a bit oversprung from the factory. The reasons for this are:

1. To protect the gun from crazy hot loads
2. To ensure that the brand-new, tight gun will positively go into full battery on the forward stroke
3. To allow for both the break-in of the recoil spring and the smoothing of the new action
4. Because the manufacturers recieve fewer warranty repair claims when they err on the side of a stronger recoil spring than a softer one in a brand-new gun

However, all of that having been said, a semiauto will usually run nicer with a softer recoil spring in it. Not only is brass ejection more positive, but. . . The recoil impulse at the end of the rearward stroke is more cushy/less harsh, and at the end of the forward stroke the muzzle doesn't dip down as the slide slams into battery. I always say to run your gun with the original factory recoil spring in it for at least the first few thousand rounds. . . but then after the brand-new action is smooth, you can try a softer recoil spring.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Tried searching the forum but seems that extraction issues are related to defective or dirty extractors. I have a P2000 in .40 cal with a new extractor and new recoil assy. It seems to be erratic in extracting shells either rearward or upwards where shells land on my head front shirt, rear back or on my forehead. Would appreciate any ideas how to remedy this problem? Is there a stronger spring to use?

I shot 250 rounds already and still has the problem. Used armscor FMJ 180grain bullets which is what's available locally.
The way this is worded it would appear that the extractor and spring have been replaced. If this is the case then I guess a good place to start is to ask why they were replaced in the first place. Was there a previous ejection issue?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Orfeo. I appreciate the detailed explanation. I guess just have to shoot it more:) Just wondering what less stiff recoil spring you have used before? Is it an original H&K part or 3rd party?

Thanks for pointing that Orfeo, sorry for the confusion there...its a new slide, extractor and spring assy really. Nothing changed, just brand new slide.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
What happened to the old slide?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts