HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering purchasing a P2000 for my carry weapon. I love everything about it with the exception of one thing…the magazine release. This was the only quality handgun I have ever handled where I had to concentrate to drop the mag, with other pistols I just do it without really thinking about it. Also after handling the gun for a little less than 5 minutes (spending the majority of the time playing with the mag release) I found my thumb to be rather sore. Is there anything that can be done about this? I really want to get this gun, but I just can’t get over the mag release. I heard some people talk about filing it down. I don’t know. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try releasing the mag with your trigger finger. Because you are pushing down, rather than in, it actually makes a lot of sense.

Of course, this is easy for me to say, because I'm now used to it. Give it a try and see how it goes..

·
Registered
3 Posts
One way to get used to the magazine release is to use your thumb and trigger finger at the same time. You will have to shift the grip somewhat, but it makes it a lot easier to release the magazine. Then, after 20 or 30 magazine releases, the muscles in your trigger finger will be strengthened, and you will notice that you will be using your trigger finger much more than your thumb. Pretty soon you will only use your trigger finger - without shifting the grip.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
doghaus said:
One way to get used to the magazine release is to use your thumb and trigger finger at the same time. You will have to shift the grip somewhat, but it makes it a lot easier to release the magazine. Then, after 20 or 30 magazine releases, the muscles in your trigger finger will be strengthened, and you will notice that you will be using your trigger finger much more than your thumb. Pretty soon you will only use your trigger finger - without shifting the grip.
That's exactly the way it worked for me with my .45 Compact. I started off with thumb and trigger finger and after some break in of the mag release, I now just use my trigger finger.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Index finger

it's out of the trigger guard during mags changes anyway and does not require shifting your grip. After you get used to it you'll change all of your handgun mag release buttons to left handed. That's what I ended up doing with my Sigs.

·
Registered
817 Posts
The HK mag releases are the best in the business and once you get used to it and using your trigger finger, you'll wonder why more makers don't incorporate it. It's simply ingenious.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I use index finger on my P2000 & Expert. And I'm quite good on magazine changes on IDPA and IPSC matches. Sadly can't say same on my accuracy... :D

Do some training and you'll get used to it before you know! But forget about using thumd - it just doesn't work on USP/P2000 series.

·
Registered
43 Posts
At least for the P2000 I own, the best method I found is to use both thumb and trigger finger ... this as well for the slide release > smooth as silk.
This with the big advantage that your trigger finger is far from the trigger !

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was pretty much just looking for a little reassurance before I laid down $700+. I will most likely pick up a P2000 sometime in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in the trigger finger and thumb camp. It took a little while to get used to but once you get the hang of it, it'll be no problem. I don't even have a problem transitioning back to the traditional mag releases. It's kind of funny watching my buddies trying to release the mag, though...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I got back from the gun store about an hour ago. I spent literally half an hour just examining the mag release. I tried using my thumb, as well as my trigger finger, and I found it slightly easier than using my thumb alone (even though after the 30 minutes both my thumb and trigger finger were sore).

Then I tried using just my trigger finger. Wow. That is a lot harder than it sounds. I asked the dealer if he knew what I was talking about and he said he did. He showed me as he demonstrated on his USPf .40. He certainly made it look easy. I suggested, and the dealer agreed, that a major factor contributing to the difficultly I was experiencing with the mag release was due to my hand size (more specifically my finger length). I have fairly long fingers. To give you an idea, I wear a size 14-16 shoe.

So my next question to you guys is “will having fairly long fingers make it improbable to operate the mag release properly and quickly?” I am not talking about if it will make it more difficult. I mean, will it prevent me from being able to operate it properly (using just my trigger finger and without having to change my grip) and quickly, even after practice? I really appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I have the opposite problem, smallish hands. The Tac is too large for me to comfortably grip it the same way every time and have a consistent trigger pull and I have to shift my grip to operate the controls. I have noticed that on all the HKs I have owned, USPs in almost every flavor and a P2000, the mag releases have been stiff at first. After some use they loosen up and they are very easy to operate. My fingers are not the strongest in the world due to some arthritis but no problems with my mag releases. Don't rush into it. Fondle some more and be certain but after you make your decision, commit to the gun and it will become very natural to you. Have you held a Compact USP to check the size fit? A lot of people really prefer the Compact for carry. Also, did the P2000 you held have the largest backstrap installed? That may position your mag release digit in a more convenient place. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
StraightShooter7 said:
So my next question to you guys is “will having fairly long fingers make it improbable to operate the mag release properly and quickly?” I am not talking about if it will make it more difficult. I mean, will it prevent me from being able to operate it properly (using just my trigger finger and without having to change my grip) and quickly, even after practice? I really appreciate the help.
I have fairly long fingers (I reach the mag release with both my thumb and trigger finger at the same time without changing my grip), and I didn't have any problem switching from initially using both thumb and trigger finger to using just my trigger finger. I made the switch after only a small amount of practice and some break-in on the mag release. I don't think you will have any problem.
If you aren't used to shooting an HK, you'll want to practice dry firing to build muscle memory (do a search for any of the many "MY USP shoots low and left, are my sights off?" threads and you'll know what that's for), take the opportunity to practice/break-in the mag release.

M

·
0 Posts
P2000 release made easy(er)

If you look at the release holding the gun inverted, empty, and pointing away from you, you'll see the spring. Take a punch and slowy push out the one that holds the release in, making sure you don't allow the release to fly out, which it should not anyway.

Turn the gun over and drop the release out. Take out the sping and cut one turn of the spring off and place it back in. There should be no risk of magazine drop as there is still plenty of presure, IMO, and well as the finger of your shooting hand being right underneath it.

Mike Walsh

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't use the trigger finger. When making a mag change, I put my trigger finger along the slide, the thumb, 4th and pinkie stay in position, and use my middle finger to drop the mag. It works for my long fingers. YMMV

M

·
0 Posts
If you look at the release holding the gun inverted, empty, and pointing away from you, you'll see the spring. Take a punch and slowy push out the one that holds the release in, making sure you don't allow the release to fly out, which it should not anyway.

Turn the gun over and drop the release out. Take out the sping and cut one turn of the spring off and place it back in. There should be no risk of magazine drop as there is still plenty of presure, IMO, and well as the finger of your shooting hand being right underneath it.

Mike Walsh
200 flawless rounds at the range today. I had this small worry that the recoild could affect the mechanism I had lightened up a bit but no problem at all.

MW

1 - 18 of 18 Posts