HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be purchasing a P2000 over the next month. Looking for any recommendations as to either 9mm or 40. This will be a primary off-duty piece as I am a LEO. Really concerned about recoil / accuracy issues with either. I have never shot one but am familiar with the USP / USPc series. Any input greatly appreciated....Thanks. Also....any advice as to who has best prices would also be great.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Does your department make available for you a copious amount of practice ammo? If so, go with the caliber that they make available to you.

In the grand scheme of things, there isn't too much difference in terminal effectiveness between 9mm and .40. If shooting through barriers is a concern, the same is true when selecting a good bonded round such as Winchester Ranger Bonded 124gr/147gr or Federal Tactical Bonded 135gr for the 9mm. There is definitely an edge to the .40S&W, but think about the grand scheme of things. The important thing is the effectiveness of the shooter/gun/ammo combo, not just the ammo. If your splits are noticeably slower with a .40S&W weapon, it would probably be a good idea to use a 9mm. Personally, the only .40S&W weapons I would opt to carry are SIG P226/P229's or a fullsize USP. Everything else in .40 that I've shot is way too snappy for any sight tracking to occur. Something to think about. The P2000 in general is one of the snappier pistols in its class, too.

If I'm paying for the ammo, I'll always go with a 9mm. If you only shoot 50 rounds a month, cost is probably not a concern.

Prices? Probably Budsgunshop.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The important thing is the effectiveness of the shooter/gun/ammo combo, not just the ammo.
That's exactly the reason that I switched to a 9mm P2000 after years of shooting the .40 caliber version. I shot the .40 well enough, but was amazed to discover how much better I shoot with the 9mm. My follow-up shots are faster, overall accuracy is better, and as a bonus I have an extra round in each mag.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'm not sure I can be much help as I don't own a P2000, nor do I own a 9 or a 40! But, I used to shoot my buddy's P2000 .357 sig all the time. I always wanted it, but he wouldn't sell it to me and I couldn't find one easily, so I bought a Glock 32 in .357. It was a fun round and relatively accurate for me in his HK. ... not so much in my Glock though.

Anyway, what caliber do you carry now on duty? Maybe best to stick to the same....

·
Registered
68 Posts
As far as price goes, Mike at Cross Creek Guns has some awesome prices and amazing service. His prices on magazines are unbeatable for the most part.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have the P2000 in 9mm and love it. In fact it is one of my favorite HK pistols and shoots awesome. I was considering getting one in .40 cal. But it seems the people prefer the 9mm. I can only say it is a great pistol and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is considering purchasing one.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The p2000sk handles recoil better than the larger P2000 in my opinion. I've owned both in 40 and sold the P2000 after 500 rounds. I still own a P2000sk in .357sig/40.

I won't get into a caliber war in your thread I would just say buy one in the same caliber as your duty weapon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Duty caliber is .45....was looking at p2000 as I like the DA/SA, the rear-positioned decocker and capacity options. Maybe I should be looking at 45c. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
the .40 ain't bad - it's got some snap to it, but it's totally manageable. Get a round designed for shorter barrels. I use the Speer Gold 180g hollow point for short barrels and it shoots very well with noticeably less pop than any other round I put through it.

When I'm at the range, I'll put 50-100 rounds through it (cheaper) and then a clip or two of what I carry in it and then I'm done.

When I want to play, I use my P30, P7 or my Glock 36.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My CCW is a .40 P2000 with light LEM. I love the gun. Really like how it carries and shoots. I got a good deal on mine, which is why it's a .40. Normally anything I buy is a 9mm or .45. I just prefer them.

If I were paying retail where I was paying the same amount of money either way, I would definately get a 9mm. If I could trade mine for a 9mm and a little money I would.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I've got a 9mm and a 357Sig. I carry both, train with both and had Bill Springfield do a trigger job on each. I have the 9mm in my holster most of the time. I load it with WW 127 grain +P+

·
Registered
313 Posts
The p2000sk handles recoil better than the larger P2000 in my opinion. I've owned both in 40 and sold the P2000 after 500 rounds. I still own a P2000sk in .357sig/40.

I won't get into a caliber war in your thread I would just say buy one in the same caliber as your duty weapon.
Could you explain why you feel that way? I've shot an sk in .40 and didn't find the recoil bad at all, but am really interested in the P2K. I figured if the sk wasn't bad, the the P2K would be even better.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the P2000 in 40 and a P30 in 9mm. I love the P2000 in 40. After about 500 rds, the trigger is unbelievable in SA. Once my most accurate guns. Has better recoil management then my P226 in 40.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
If you are set on the P2000, go for the 40. I would personally recommend sticking with your duty caliber and getting the HK45C or the USPc .45.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
"On dit que Dieu est toujours pour les gros bataillons." Voltaire.
(It is said that God is always on the side of the big battalions.) Same holds true for big bullets.

I cannot endorse 9mm or .40S&W as a service caliber but you're stuck with your agency's decisions. Misguided as they may be! :wink:

Since my personal carry weapon is unrestrained by such policy I've selected .45ACP. Big holes are more efficient than small holes. Simple as that.

I normally have at least 8 or 9 rounds of .45ACP at hand all the time. Neatly packaged in either my HK45C or M1911. Spare magazine is there should the magazine fail (weak point of every self loading pistol). Either of these pistols conceals as well as my USP9C, the same size as a P2000. Consequently I don't carry my USP9C very often.

I can't endorse either the P2000 or USPC in DA/SA configuration. That brings up the Light LEM conversation which is critical for that vital first round hit but need not be repeated here.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think if you get free .45 ammunition it might be worth looking at the HK45C instead. Personally I'm very happy with the P2000SK as a CCW. It doesn't give anything up to the P2000 IMO. I think the P30 and SK make an optimal pair.

CCW things that I prefer. HK45c mag release. Flat base-plate mags. Fullsize P30 spare mags. Good custom holster. Painted sights - front hi-viz yellow, rear hi-viz orange. I run Doubletap 124gr +P (Gold Dot).

I run a V3, but if I were to do it over I'd probably go light LEM, no safety.

Good luck.

-john

·
Registered
313 Posts
Anyone heard if the P2000 is or will be discontinued? I was handling, again, the various HK's at the LGS today and was told by one of the sales reps, who's EDC is a P2000, that he had been told that by their HK rep. Supposedly the sales of the P30 were such that the P2000 was considered redundant. He did say the P2Ksk was not on the chopping block.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts