HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I bought my P2000 (.40-LEM) I have noticed that, at times, the hammer drags against the frame when I pull the trigger and sometimes gets slightly hung up until I jiggle it side to side. Also, when field stripped, when I move the hammer back and forth, I get a slight rubbing sound. These thing do not hinder the workings of the pistol, I'm just curious if there is a problem. Is this a normal characteristic for the LEM?

p.s. I oiled it well.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Ever since I bought my P2000 (.40-LEM) I have noticed that, at times, the hammer drags against the frame when I pull the trigger and sometimes gets slightly hung up until I jiggle it side to side. Also, when field stripped, when I move the hammer back and forth, I get a slight rubbing sound. These thing do not hinder the workings of the pistol, I'm just curious if there is a problem. Is this a normal characteristic for the LEM?

p.s. I oiled it well.
Against the frame or slide?
Doesn't sound normal. Did it come stock LEM, or was it switched? Can you post a pic of looking down on the sear/trigger with the slide removed?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Against the frame or slide?
Doesn't sound normal. Did it come stock LEM, or was it switched? Can you post a pic of looking down on the sear/trigger with the slide removed?
It's against the frame, just below the slide. It did come stock with LEM. I will try to post a pic.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Not normal I would say. Here is my USP 45CT LEM. Notice the hammer is centered in the frame. I've also noticed you have an unusual looking sear. Did you purchase it new?
Looks to be some additional space between the sear and disconnector. Any one have a pic of another P2000 LEM you can post.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It looks like the pin is mounted properly, but somehow the hammer is still out of alignment. Any chance of debris in there? Did it come like this or did this just develop? Do you hear/feel grinding when you cock the hammer?

Those are nice pictures too, well done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not normal I would say. Here is my USP 45CT LEM. Notice the hammer is centered in the frame. I've also noticed you have an unusual looking sear. Did you purchase it new?
Looks to be some additional space between the sear and disconnector. Any one have a pic of another P2000 LEM you can post.

I did purchase it new. What looks strange regarding the sear?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like the pin is mounted properly, but somehow the hammer is still out of alignment. Any chance of debris in there? Did it come like this or did this just develop? Do you hear/feel grinding when you cock the hammer?

Those are nice pictures too, well done.
It was always like this. Actually, I DO hear/feel slight grinding; but not while racking the slide. I feel it slightly while pulling the trigger to the last stop, and it's more pronounced when it's stripped and I rock the hammer back and forth. As for debris? I keep it very clean but have never completely disasembled the mechanism (and I shouldnt have to right?)

It was purchased in April '07

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, that depends. Even Glock recommends that you fully disassemble your glocks every 500 or so rounds (which I do). Dirt and debris works its way into all pistols with simple normal use, no matter how well you clean it during field stripping.

If you feel a slight grinding while pulling the trigger, I would definitely consider doing a full disassembly. A buddy of mine had the same problem with his G23 and it turned out to be some slight debris. And this person is maticulous on cleaning during a field strip.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, that depends. Even Glock recommends that you fully disassemble your glocks every 500 or so rounds (which I do). Dirt and debris works its way into all pistols with simple normal use, no matter how well you clean it during field stripping.

If you feel a slight grinding while pulling the trigger, I would definitely consider doing a full disassembly. A buddy of mine had the same problem with his G23 and it turned out to be some slight debris. And this person is maticulous on cleaning during a field strip.

Just a thought.
Thanks for the thought. I think it may be a good idea either way. Now if I can only figure out why the hammer sometimes gets slightly hung up?

I'm hoping it's not a tolerance issue either in the hammer or the frame.
Have you ever heard of such a thing?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have not heard of such a thing that I can recall.

My non-legally liable thinking is that if the gun wasn't this way when you received transfer, and that the cross pin to which the hammer hinges is still intact and in place, that something must have happened. Either it was wacked hard to the side, or there's debris. Either way, I can see no way around this than to disassemble the requisite parts. You can also try calling HK or calling a competent gunsmith. Unless I'm missing something... (anyone else's thoughts?)

Another question I have: is this firearm safe to use while in this condition? If the hammer slips further to the left, it could do something back on the slide cycling.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have not heard of such a thing that I can recall.

My non-legally liable thinking is that if the gun wasn't this way when you received transfer, and that the cross pin to which the hammer hinges is still intact and in place, that something must have happened. Either it was wacked hard to the side, or there's debris. Either way, I can see no way around this than to disassemble the requisite parts. You can also try calling HK or calling a competent gunsmith. Unless I'm missing something... (anyone else's thoughts?)

Another question I have: is this firearm safe to use while in this condition? If the hammer slips further to the left, it could do something back on the slide cycling.
I really isnt that far off. The tolerance is very small. I live in NY and from my understanding, there are no HK certified Smiths around here. I guess if I cant figure this thing out on my own, it's off to Trussville.

I just disasembled the trigger mechanism to check for friction in the linkage. At this point, the hammer moves fine and there is a good deal of friction in the linkage. when fully assembled, or under load, I guess, is when the hammer hangs up a little bit. Very strange

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can protect your warranty by just going to a gunsmith and asking him if he has seen things like this before, and what was the problem. That way you can get ideas on how to solve it without actually bringing it to a non-HK certified gunsmith.

Yet another thought.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can protect your warranty by just going to a gunsmith and asking him if he has seen things like this before, and what was the problem. That way you can get ideas on how to solve it without actually bringing it to a non-HK certified gunsmith.

Yet another thought.
Thanks for your help

·
Banned
366 Posts
I have a V3 and also the LEM trigger pack... I remember.... It seems.... Maybe.. Well I put a part in wrong and my hammer rubbed. I had to try again to make things line up right.

I forget what part though. Let me compare your image to one of mine tonight.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I did purchase it new. What looks strange regarding the sear?
To me, the sear and catch look to have significant space between them compared to the pic I posted. Your sear axle almost looks bent slightly the way the sear, catch and sear actuator latch are sitting (top to bottom-my pic and your first pic). Also on your last pic, the back side of the actuator looks like the pin protruding from it is pushing the hammer to the left.

Edited..My bad, that was the catch not the actuator.

Is it fairly easy to disassemble these parts and put them back in and there are instructions on this posted in the boards. If you are uncomfortable doing this, send it back to HK.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To me, the sear and catch look to have significant space between them compared to the pic I posted. Your sear axle almost looks bent slightly the way the sear, catch and sear actuator latch are sitting (top to bottom-my pic and your first pic). Also on your last pic, the back side of the actuator looks like the pin protruding from it is pushing the hammer to the left.

Edited..My bad, that was the catch not the actuator.

Is it fairly easy to disassemble these parts and put them back in and there are instructions on this posted in the boards. If you are uncomfortable doing this, send it back to HK.
Thanks Joe. If you say it's easy...I'll give it a try. I just hope I never experience one of those nightmares where you show up to the gunsmith with a bag of parts and blame it on gremlins!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Results

I just got a call from Travis of HK, who happens to be considered one of their best armorers (and also an unbelievably nice fellow). After inspecting my P2000 he has concluded that my hammer was out of spec by about 1mm and defintely the cause of the drift and occasional hang up on the frame.

I must say that for the few times I had to deal with HK's customer service for one reason or another, they are second to none. For anyone weighing out pros & cons between products, this is a definite plus that needs to be considered.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts