HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
So this past weekend I got some 12 lb Wolff hammer springs for my P2000s (note that I mean plural, as in two, with one in 9mm and one in 40SW) and installed them. Both of these guns came to me used originally and both are DA/SA. In comparing the pulls after the install I am pretty sure that the 9mm P2000 had the lighter hammer spring installed anyway, except it was the factory HK one. The 40SW P2000 is noticeably lighter.

That is not my confusion. I then compared the trigger pulls between the two P2000s. Again at this point they have the exact same hammer spring installed, both of them new. However the 9mm one is noticeably lighter. To make sure I wasn't crazy, well more crazy then normal, I had others pull the triggers without telling them anything first and everyone said the 9mm felt lighter. The majority of the pull feels the same, but at the end of the DA pull the break on the 40SW is noticeably heavier. This almost makes me think that the trigger return spring (TRS) on the 9mm might be lighter, which would seem to be possible as it already had the lighter hammer spring and the guy that had it before used to compete with it. I'm not really sure how to check this though. In looking at them visually all I can say is the 9mm TRS seems bright silver, whereas the 40SW TRS is black, but I don't see anything else. All I know is the 9mm one has just about a perfect trigger for me and I'd like to get the 40SW one in that state.

Any thoughts guys?

-TR

·
Registered
596 Posts
If the majority of the pull feels the same, then it is most likely NOT the trigger return spring.
If it feels heavier at the very end of the take up, just before the trigger breaks, then it's most likely a heavier firing pin block spring....

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, interesting. You'll have to excuse me my knowledge is rather limited.

What difference would the match TRS make then?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Changing the TRS to a lighter or heavier spring will change the weight of the entire length of the pull by some amount - you're pulling against the TRS for the entire DA pull. You're also pulling against (compressing) the hammer spring for the full DA pull (this is pre-compressed when in SA). The difference between the match and stock TR springs are relatively small, compared to the resistance of the hammer spring, etc. But still are noticeable - but should be noticeable for the entire length of the pull. Near the end of the DA pull, and at the beginning of the SA pull,the disconnector pushes up on the firing pin block in the slide, adding additional resistance. Then at the very end of the pull (the break), you're releasing the sear from the hammer, which adds friction of the sear/hammer interface, and resistance of the sear spring which pushes the sear into the hammer.

·
Registered
596 Posts
BTW - I'm not saying that you do NOT have different TRS springs installed - if they look different, then they may well be different. I'm just saying that the effect you're describing - increased resistance at the end of the pull - is likely something other than the TRS.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, I appreciate the help!

You may be right about the FPBS. I'd really like to get them to the same point. I was thinking about installing the light TRS and the light FPBS in both. Will that impact reliability though?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have no personal experience with the P2000 DA/SA (I have a LEM P2000SK) but have also had a DA/SA USP.
That said - reliability shouldn't be an issue with any of the combinations discussed. I think the light FPBS is a good mod in any case, as it smooths out the trigger pull on just about any configuration vs. the heavier FPBS.
Different people develop different preferences regarding the TRS - lighter springs lighten the pull, but also can result in less positive-feeling trigger reset as you release after firing and it returns to SA position. It's something you pretty much have to try to decide whether it's "for you" or not.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try the FPBS swap first... then decide on whether to also swap the TRS.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no personal experience with the P2000 DA/SA (I have a LEM P2000SK) but have also had a DA/SA USP.
That said - reliability shouldn't be an issue with any of the combinations discussed. I think the light FPBS is a good mod in any case, as it smooths out the trigger pull on just about any configuration vs. the heavier FPBS.
Different people develop different preferences regarding the TRS - lighter springs lighten the pull, but also can result in less positive-feeling trigger reset as you release after firing and it returns to SA position. It's something you pretty much have to try to decide whether it's "for you" or not.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try the FPBS swap first... then decide on whether to also swap the TRS.
I think that's a good plan. I'd like to make sure I have the stock TRS though in both, just to keep things equal. But all I see on hkparts is light or heavy. Is heavy the stock spring?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which is the stock TRS for a DA/SA P2000 though? The only other option is the Heavy so I assume that. Again I just want to get both guns to stock for that part to try and get them as equal as possible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts