HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any fellow board members choose the P2000SK in 357SIG as their primary concealed carry weapon? I'm starting to like the 357 rd more and more and am contemplating moving from a Glock 26 (9mm) to the SK in 357SIG. I decided that the SK is built a little more heavy duty for this round over the Glock model (33).

Please chime in if you chose to carry the 357SIG.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
You will find lots of members here who carry a P2000SK in any othe various calibers. I have a P2000SK in a 40 S&W with LEM trigger That I like to carry a lot in warmer weather.

I do not personally have a 357 sig model ,but I know a lot of members here do. There is also a lot who carry the 9mm. The only difference I can see between the calibers is simply the difference in calibers. The 40, 357, & 9 all have disnictive differences. The P2000SK is going to be the same in any one of the different callibers except trigger configuration and barrel as well as mag. So I guess that I really don't understand your question?

I don't think you will not find fans of each caliber, and I know there are plenty of P2000SK lovers here. If you really like the 357sig round. I will promise you will not be unhappy with the P2000SK.

I would love to see HK make a 10mm in the USPf. Yes, I know there is a converted 40 for sale. I want a real 10mm, not one someone made custom.

:D TJ

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TeaxasJim - Thanks for the info. I guess my post is a two question post: Who has gone to the 357SIG rd as their perferred CCW caliber, and who has chosen the SK to carry this round.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you can afford to train with 357sig go for it. I know a lot of people who would like to carry it, but simply cant afford too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love mine. Picked it up in July, and it's been nothing but a pleasure to own and shoot. The thing has been 100% reliable since it's purchase. I'd be shocked if I ever pulled the trigger and it DIDN'T go bang. It's a tank. I've only had 2 failures, and both were due to my poor grip/limpwristing the first time I took it to the range.

I've never shot the .357 from other platforms other than the SK, but I was surprised at how manageable the recoil was (relatively speaking). Don't get me wrong, it has some kick to it and you really have to focus in on your grip, but I perceive the recoil as more of a quick push. I usually put about 150-200 rounds through mine when I go to the range and it doesn't beat me up.

From a carry standpoint, it's my primary. Then again I've only got 2 guns.

Ammo is a bit pricey, but if you buy in bulk it's not too bad. You've also got the option of dropping in a .40 barrel if you're ever bored :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
BOBBY
Thanks for your post and pic. I'm looking to switch to the same for my CCW. The only difference is that I happen to prefer the sk in V3 with the decocker.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Do all SK's have the finger grooves like the picture that bobby posted?

Why is .357 a more expensive round than a .40 if the 40 is bigger?

What other differences are there between the .357 & .40 other than the price of the ammo? Stopping power, velocity etc.

Is the recoil more on one vs. the other?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do all SK's have the finger grooves like the picture that bobby posted?

Why is .357 a more expensive round than a .40 if the 40 is bigger?

What other differences are there between the .357 & .40 other than the price of the ammo? Stopping power, velocity etc.

Is the recoil more on one vs. the other?
Thats just a slip on accessory. Maybe a Hogue grip. .357 SIG has more stopping power and higher velocity than the .40s&w Think of it as a bottle neck 9mm round on .40 casing! .357 is a little more snappy then the .40s&w. I prefer the .40 since it is cheaper and readily availible in my location. Sk is sure a beautiful HK!

·
Registered
390 Posts
The .357 Sig is better on paper pushing a lighter & smaller diameter bullet faster than the .40 but there is no proof the .357 SIG is better stopping a human target. Speed does not allways = more stopping power. Below is some testing done by Doubletap ammo. The reason .357 Sig cost more is because of it,s bottleneck design plus it is not as popular as the 9mm , .45 or .40 cal. I am not bashing .357Sig because I own & ocasionally carry a HKP2000 chambered in that round but I do not feel it has more stopping power than the .40 round but it is more accurate but not enough to determine who wins a gun fight.

DOUBLETAP AMMO SPECS:

125GR .357 SIG 1450FPS / 584FP
135GR .40 S&W 1375FPS / 567FP

147GR .357 SIG 1250FPS / 510FP
155GR .40 S&W 1275FPS / 560FP

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
You will find lots of members here who carry a P2000SK in any of the various calibers. I have a P2000SK in a 40 S&W with LEM trigger.

What variant do you have? V1? I'm thinking of getting this variant since it has the light trigger pull.

I have the LEM trigger set up in my 40S&W P2000SK it is a lot like a sa/da pull but not as much trigger weight.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
The .357 Sig is better on paper pushing a lighter & smaller diameter bullet faster than the .40 but there is no proof the .357 SIG is better stopping a human target. Speed does not allways = more stopping power. Below is some testing done by Doubletap ammo. The reason .357 Sig cost more is because of it,s bottleneck design plus it is not as popular as the 9mm , .45 or .40 cal. I am not bashing .357Sig because I own & ocasionally carry a HKP2000 chambered in that round but I do not feel it has more stopping power than the .40 round but it is more accurate but not enough to determine who wins a gun fight.

DOUBLETAP AMMO SPECS:

125GR .357 SIG 1450FPS / 584FP
135GR .40 S&W 1375FPS / 567FP

147GR .357 SIG 1250FPS / 510FP
155GR .40 S&W 1275FPS / 560FP
Thank you Money, I was going to say the same thing. Also, there is no such round as a .40acp. "acp" stands for automatic colt pistol, as in the .45acp, a round which was pioneered by Colt and John Browning when he designed the 1911 and the predesessor to the 1911 (don't recall the model, something like the 1903 or 1906, or something like that, I'm not really a 1911 guy, more a .45acp believer). The .40 cal round was pioneered and developed by Smith and Wesson in the '90's along with one of the major ammunition manufactures (don't recall which) at the behest of, or encouragement of the FBI, thus the .40sw title. Just as the .357sig was spearheaded by Sig, thus the title...

I know, I know it is a bit knit picky, but there is history to this stuff, and I find it interesting........

OH yeah, I don't personally own an SK in .357sig, my brother recently purchased one for his carry gun. He loves it, I haven't carried it for any length of time, but I have shot the hell out of it, and I love it. It is a great little shooter....

·
Registered
285 Posts
Can the P2000sk switch between the .357sig and the .40S&W with just a barrel change?

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I have started carrying my P2000sk .357 for conceal carry when I am in the states. I carry it with the 12 round mags. They fit my hand well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The P2000SK I bought is a .40 normally but have a .357 sig barrel on order after shooting my friends. I am a big believer in the round personally as well as my friend who owns nothing BUT .357 sig guns including his P2000SK.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I carry one in LEM. I carry it with P2000 mags in it as it doesn't really make it much larger give a better grip and a couple more rounds. I like the round, but unless , more agencies or departments pick it up, it will remain expensive to shoot. It has great penetration and will eat up most areas of a vehicle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
From an article by Massad Ayoob:

"The .40 S&W caliber is the overwhelming top choice of police departments today, followed by the .357 SIG and the .45. Created to duplicate the best ballistics of the .357 Magnum revolver in a semiautomatic pistol, the .357 SIG spits a 125-grain jacketed hollow point at 1300 to 1400 feet per second, delivering 500-plus foot-pounds of energy. Departments which have adopted it are delighted with the performance, reporting a high frequency of one-shot stops. The Virginia State Police, who issue the .357 SIG Model P229 pistol, told me that they were particularly pleased with the number of felons who dropped and stopped fighting after receiving non-fatal wounds in non-vital parts of the body."

Here is what the people at Accurate Arms Powder Company say about the 357 Sig:

"Inquiries led us to Federal Cartridge, who, at the time was the sole source of ammo for the .357 Sig. The.357 Sig is basically the .40 S&W cartridge necked down to take 9mm bullets. This cartridge was developed specifically for the law enforcement market. It was intended to duplicate the ballistics of the highly regarded 125 Grain JHP .357 Magnum load as fired in a 4" barrel revolver. This, the .357 Sig basically does.........Reports from the field praise the accuracy of this round..........This is without a doubt the most ballistically consistant handgun cartridge we[Alliant]have ever worked with. The standard deviation for every single load developed was less than 10 FPS. The average SD was 5 FPS. This is impressive for any cartridge but especially so for a handgun. The small bottleneck and high working pressure of the round must both contribute to this amazing consistancy, but regardless the results are impressive."

I carried a Glock 32 or 10 years. I now carry a P2000 sk LEM 357 Sig.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Would love to get my hands on a P2000sk .40s&w. Love having the option of .357Sig. I don't know if my college pockets could afford the .357Sig lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts