HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought my 2nd CCW HK - a 9mm P2000sk LEM V2 and am getting used to the LEM trigger reset and longer pull for the 1st shot. FYI, my first HK is a P7 PSP, which I like a lot as a CCW.

I went to the range today and put thru 200 shots on the SK. To my surprise, my grouping is good and consistent for a first-time LEM shooter. The
P2000sk is an excellent little pistol with great accuracy. Although I have better grouping and accuracy with my P7 PSP, I'm satisfied with the P2000sk so far.

The V2 (medium weight) trigger pull is not that heavy as I expected. So I may stick with it. Anyhow, for those who have experience with both P2Ksk LEM and HK45c light LEM, I wonder what the difference is between them except for the trigger weight. I read on this forum the LEM on HK45c is superior to that on P30/P30L. How does the LEM on HK45c compare to P2000sk LEM?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
They are 'about' the same, give or take. P30 reset (all action types) is longer that either the HK45C or P2000SK. Mine have all had the GGI RRCDP, so that's my recollection from shooting them stock light LEM a year ago.

Initially, I shot the SK better than either the HK45C or P30 (first 200 rounds or thereabouts). Now after over 1K though each, they are all pretty much the same out to 15 yards - beyond that I hold better with the P30 and HK45C.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The V2 (medium weight) trigger pull is not that heavy as I expected.
Just an fyi -- the V2 is actually the heavy LEM. V4 is the medium. I didn't care for my sk with the heavy LEM and converted to V1 Light LEM. For me, it was a huge improvement.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had a similar experience as RHINOWSO, except the opposite. When I first got my light LEM HK45C, I shot it surprisingly well. I was putting in much smaller, more consistent, groups than my P2000SK V2 .40. I think it was because of the longer, more controllable grip size and the longer sight radius on the 45C, combined with the mellower recoil.

Subsequently, I took another tatical course using only my SK, and practiced driving it more. And I altered both guns to bring the trigger pull weights closer together so that I can carry either interchangeably without a noticeable difference in the trigger handling. In the HK45C, I changed out the TRS to the heavy LEM, making it a hybrid (what some called the Todd Green Special) LEM with a trigger pull of around 7# instead of 4.6#. And in the SK, I changed out the FPBS to the light version, dropping the trigger pull to around 7.5# from around 8.5#. I also changed out the backstrap on the SK; that helped out my grip (and accuracy).

Now I shoot both guns almost the same. There is the obvious difference in caliber, grip, and sight radius, but for the purposes of an EDC, the triggers feel very much the same to me. If I compare them side-by-side instantaneously, I'm sure there a minute differences in reset and feel, but you're splitting hairs IMHO.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LEM V2 to Light LEM V1 - any potential legal issues?

Thanks much for sharing your experience. I'm fine with the LEM V2 trigger, which is much lighter than my Smith Wession 642 revolver DAO trigger.

I wonder if altering the trigger configuration (i.e. V2 to V1 or TRS) by myself will have any potential legal issues if ever get into an unfortunately self-defense situation. That's why I want to keep everything factory spec. Will it make any difference if I have it altered by a 3rd party gunsmith or better yet HK USA? Is the V2 to V1 LEM conversion authorized by HK USA? Hopefully, it doesn't void the warranty.

Correct me if I'm wrong. While the light LEM allows better accuracy and trigger control, it will not change (shorten) the long initial trigger pull on the
P2000sk.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wonder if altering the trigger configuration (i.e. V2 to V1 or TRS) by myself will have any potential legal issues if ever get into an unfortunately self-defense situation. That's why I want to keep everything factory spec. Will it make any difference if I have it altered by a 3rd party gunsmith or better yet HK USA? Is the V2 to V1 LEM conversion authorized by HK USA? Hopefully, it doesn't void the warranty.
It does not void the warranty. And it is generally accepted that because these are factory parts, and these modifications are available as factory options, there is no legal ramifications should you use your firearm defensively. It's arguable, but wise to keep your trigger pull above 5# however. I am very wary of the legal issues regarding modifying my guns and the related trigger pull weights and based on my research and opinions, I feel comfortable with what I previously described.

Correct me if I'm wrong. While the light LEM allows better accuracy and trigger control, it will not change (shorten) the long initial trigger pull on the
P2000sk.
Correct. You are only changing spring weights, not the interaction of the reset point, pull length, etc.

·
Registered
759 Posts

P2000sk.
The trigger take up is the same regardless of LEM variant. As far as legal issues with changing the variant, both variant 4 and variant 1 are standard H&K configurations, so you should not be put in a position having to defend a gunsmith trigger job to lighten the pull making it an out of spec configuration. I would suggest, if you are interested, first changing out the Firing Pin Block Spring (FPBS) to the lighter version. That should take off about 1.5 lbs. and smooth out the last part of the trigger pull -- that makes it a V4 (medium LEM). The Trigger Return Spring (TRS) is a PITA to change out and does take away a bit of the positive trigger reset feel, but takes off another 1.5 lbs. to make it V1 (light LEM). That is my preferred configuration for my sk and HK45c, but YMMV. As far as I know, there is no Todd Green Special (TGS) available for the sk as there is only one hammerspring option.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for the detailed explanations and insights in the trigger configurations. I'll take some time getting used to the LEM V2 before deciding on the next move. V4 seems a good option for a CCW.

BTW, I ordered my P2Ksk with a factory Mepro Tru Dot night sights. I wonder if the front dot is bigger than the original factory sights. It's bigger than the one on my P7 PSP, which has small dots in a tighter configuration.

Now I'm thinking about my next HK pistol- the HK45c with factory light LEM and night sights...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts