HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a a new p2000sk .40 LEM about 6 months ago.

Immediately after I brought it home and wiped it off with a clean cloth, I noticed it looked like it had some of the finish off on one side of the slide near the front sight.

I could not notice that flaw in the gun shop when I checked it out, I think partly because the oil coat the slide had, hid it well, and in addition to be able to see the flaw, you have to look at it from a specific angle.

I got a little worried thinking on the possible causes. The worst one that came to my mind was: "It it possible/probable that the metal on that part of the slide was contaminated and therefore the finish didn't adhere well on it, having a different property and all that? I don't know, I'm just letting you know that came to my mind.

Well, I went back to the gun shop and told the manager about it, but I decided to not send it immediately for warranty for different reasons, the most important being I sold all my other firearms and only had the SK.

Well, time went by, the firearm functioned properly and I forgot about that issue until I noticed a little rust between the top of the slide and the barrel chamber. This Sk has been a safe queen so far, and being a previous owner of other firearms in the past, including HKs I find it a little strange this happened to my new hk, which brought back to my mind the previous issue with the slide, thinking maybe it was constructed on a Monday or a Friday(LOL), not properly treated.

Anyways, what do you think the cause is and what do you think I should do? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's where the little bit of rust started coming out. Mind you, it wasn't much and it came off pretty easy, but nevertheless, there was rust there.

You won't see the rust in this next picture, I already took it off days before I took this picture. This pic is just to show you where the rust was.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Pictures taken with my phone(not the best quality): slide rust and some of it was transferred to the barrel.

Has anyone experienced something similar with any of his HKs?

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
It's hard to believe that gun is a safe queen givin the barrel finish wear and you say you bought it new?
Has the gun been subject to moisture over a period of time, salt water maybe?
Do you lube it properly or at all even?

Any gun can rust if not propery cared for especially in humid areas, where the rust on your barrel is.. That is a major contact point for barrel lock-up no finish will stand up to that after time and if moisture gets to it after the gun as not been cared for on a regular basis then I can see that happening. That should clean right up with some oil and a nylon brush/rag no problem. Also if you do live in a humid climate it might be a good idea to get a de-humidifier and oil your gun atleast once a month and be sure to wipe the slide down with a slightly oily rag. ALso I think your worrying a little much about cosmetics, the gun is meant to be shot and I suggest you do that. My 2 cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The climate is humid over here, there's no doubt about that,..but none of my other handguns rusted on these similar conditions for years...including one USP I had for 7 years and sold just before I bought this one.

On the other hand, I'm not worried about cosmetics, if it turns out to be just that, a cosmetic issue.

I'm more worried about the integrity of the metal on that part of the slide. Why didn't the black finish stick there? Was it because that part wasn't treated properly before applying the bluing? Was it because the metal was contaminated? Or was it only because some German employee didn't know where to wipe his finger after picking his behind, and thought the slide of a p2000sk looked like a good choice, and did it while the black finish was fresh? lol.
I don't know, that's why I'm asking your opinions.

And believe me, I haven't used it that much and i don't carry, it has only shot 150 rounds in an indoor range during these six months, maybe not a safe queen, but it hasn't been used much.

Thanks for your wishes and for posting your opinion.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
It is a little unusual to see rust on an HK slide. . . probably because they are usually slathered in oil. At any rate, it can and does happen, especially in very humid places with strong air conditioning. I doubt that the blemish on the front side of the slide has much if anything to do with the rust by the barrel.

The best thing you can do at this point is to clean and treat the entire slide & barrel with Eezox (don't put it on the plastic parts). It has been repeatedly shown to be the best rust/corrosion inhibitor among several gun products. Works REALLY well. You will not likely ever have this issue again once you start using Eezox.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
HK delivers guns well greased to distributors to allow for sitting unsold for periods of time. This gun was handled enough for that grease to be worn or wiped clean. Moisture fron something was able to sit in between the barrel block and slide and ultimately it was either laid on its side in something caustic or was carried, or boy because it looks a lot like it has a pattern of abrasive wear in the pics. This may have been a "new" HK but it was handled a lot before you bought it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Anyways, what do you think the cause is and what do you think I should do? Thanks in advance.

I don't think it is an issue with any metal structurally, bluing will wear and if UR in a high humity zone keep it lubed. Another option is Robar NP3 +. I've got one of my SKs down there now getting NP3 +. It had an area on the left rear (barrel facing down range) of the slide where the bluing was spotted? The spots would only show up in the light if you were looking for them? By the way Robar and others can re-blue your slide since it is the only part you need if you don't want to do the whole weapon. Maybe HK CS will do it for free, never hurts to ask!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the time you all have taken to express your opinions and suggestions.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Great advice from the above posters.

If it still bothers you, call Travis at HK customer service, email him the photos and see what he suggests. He's good people.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The best thing you can do at this point is to clean and treat the entire slide & barrel with Eezox (don't put it on the plastic parts). It has been repeatedly shown to be the best rust/corrosion inhibitor among several gun products. Works REALLY well. You will not likely ever have this issue again once you start using Eezox.
Good to know. I haven't tried Eezox but I'll definitely give it a shot. They don't have it at my LGS but I found some here pretty cheap.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
POW how do you store your p2ksk, holstered or unholstered? I would think keeping it in the factory box with a desiccant along with a good lubing every month alliviate any further issues like the ones you are experiencing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
SoSleepy how do you store your p2ksk, holstered or unholstered? I would think keeping it in the factory box with a desiccant along with a good lubing every month alliviate any further issues like the ones you are experiencing.
I will definitely start doing that. The 2ksk is my EDC 95% of the time and I kind of got into the habit of taking it off when I get home and storing it holstered. I take it to the range on a regular basis and maintain it well. I have not had the issues of the OP but I have noticed a very small deposit where the front sight sits in the slide. This may very well be the sight itself (meprolight tru dots), or a scratch from the installation but it's still disconcerting enough to try something new. Thanks for the advice staff! Always appreciated

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all, I'm going to follow some of your advices.
In any case the gun causes me trouble in the future, I hope the warranty takes care of it.

Thanks!!!

BTW, I just came out from the range, 75 more rounds through it without a single malfunction.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The rust is unrelated. I would suspect the care (or lack thereof) that the weapon received at the store. You say it was on the shelf, I would suspect that some part of the "display" was rubbing that part of the slide, and not in a good way.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I took the pics I only fired like 150-175, yesterday I shot 75 more.

- I store the handgun inside those fire retardant safes for documents(like 13"Wx18"Hx18"D), the hk plastic case on the floor of the safe and the handgun on top of it.

- I've never used CLP in any of my firearms, just regular gun oil.

- If you look closely to the pictures of the finish flaw, you'll notice it has like small circular spots, like when a liquid substance is dropped, I doubt it was caused from touching it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had never used a holster on that gun, except for the drills I did yesterday.
I'm going to acquire Eezox in the near future and also try CLP.

Thanks to all again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts