HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of the two would you deem safer for use as a concealed carry? Less likely to discharge accidentally? Sorry for what may seem a stupid post but I am looking for a P2000sk for my wife. She recently got her carry permit and likes the feel of this gun. Not sure what is safer? Thanks in advance.....

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
There´s no difference but how the trigger FEELS; and if You push a button after having loaded the gun or not. The decision shall be definitely hers, which mod she likes and shoots better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
V3 is safer, IMO. The heavier trigger pull is almost as good as a safety, but not quite.

Everyone naturally says you should be so safe that a LEM/Glock/DAK type trigger shouldn't matter, but in the real world I keep reading about long time Glock owners who were safe for years, then accidentally snagged the trigger while re-holstering.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You might want to concentrate more on making your wife more mistake proof than hoping the gun does the job. That said, my wife carries a DA revolver for that same reason "heavy trigger pull", so I am being quite hypocritical, but my wife is not at all interested in guns and doesnt practice near as much as she should... Hopefully your wife isnt as stubborn as mine. I think the LEM demands someone who is much more safety conscious and excellent holsters personally, but lets face it...the same stupid mistake that could fire LEM could probably do the same on the V3.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Both of my HK carry guns (45c and 45 EXPERT) are V3 with loaded chamber indicators. Before I leave the house, I run my finger across the LCI making sure there is a round in the chamber. Check the mag is locked in. I know that whenever I pull the trigger it will fire. No "Oh S#@*, "I forgot to drop the safety". Don't flame me about training....I have chosen what I consider a fail safe system. If I was going to deal with a safety, I'd carry a 1911 with the fastest trigger recovery of any pistol. It is one less thing I have to do to stop a deadly threat. How many times have you pointed at the target and squeezed the trigger to have nothing happen? If that doesn't happen to me for a couple of years, I'll think about a V1. I don't want to get shot in one of those high stress situations. My wife carries a S&W titanium .38 +p for the same reason. She will shoot alot of other things at the range, but won't take a chance with her personal protection.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
My wife likes her revolver as well. But back to your question as far as safety goes I would think that the V3 maybe a little bit safer because of the stiffer trigger. But for smaller weaker hands the LEM maybe more comfortable and cause her to practice more. Let her decide.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You might want to concentrate more on making your wife more mistake proof than hoping the gun does the job. That said, my wife carries a DA revolver for that same reason "heavy trigger pull", so I am being quite hypocritical, but my wife is not at all interested in guns and doesnt practice near as much as she should... Hopefully your wife isnt as stubborn as mine. I think the LEM demands someone who is much more safety conscious and excellent holsters personally, but lets face it...the same stupid mistake that could fire LEM could probably do the same on the V3.
but lets face it...the same stupid mistake that could fire LEM could probably do the same on the V3.
+1000

·
Registered
596 Posts
V3 is safer, IMO. The heavier trigger pull is almost as good as a safety, but not quite.

Everyone naturally says you should be so safe that a LEM/Glock/DAK type trigger shouldn't matter, but in the real world I keep reading about long time Glock owners who were safe for years, then accidentally snagged the trigger while re-holstering.
I agree with the theory. The first trigger pull in DA is longer and harder, thus at least that much safer than SA or LEM. Your wife has made an excellent choice. The P2000SK is IMHO one of the finest CCWs available.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the posts guys. I appreciate your responses and all your experiences with these HK's! Right now she carry's a S&W mod 36. Its a .38 cal 2" nickel plated revolver. I have yet to "dry fire" the P2000sk so can anyone tell us how heavy the V3 trigger pull in DA would be compared to her revolver? If it is just as stiff to pull, I think i will be sold on the idea. She's not the type of girl that likes to carry a gun "day to day" for personel protection, she just carry's the gun when we go to some land we own in the country. There are black bears, "reports of mountain lion", and whatever other wild animal plans to attach us on any givin' day...LOL Thats pretty much the only time she will carry a pistol. She rides ATV's so things can get rough and tough at times. She's a small framed girl with small hands so the P2000sk is a nice fit for her but I am concerned seeing there is no real manual safety on it. What do you guys think about the trigger pull compared to her revolver?

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
That DEA agent didn't "snag" the trigger on anything. His dumb ass didn't check the chamber before he pulled the trigger, STUPID! Moreover, no one cared to check these guns for live ammunition before they were brought in front of a classroom full of children. Glock or not, these are some stupid people, collectively and individualy.

Back on topic, does your wife use a manual safety on her revolver? If she does then she may favor the DA/SA model over the LEM because of the use of a manual safety. If the revolver is DAO, then the LEM is closer to this. Anything that keeps you from having to re-learn/re-train yourself is a good thing. Muscle memory builds after much time so pick the action type that is closest to the one your wife is used to. But as others said, let her choose.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am speaking from the standpoint of someone what goes or tries to go to the range once a week with his wife.
I think that there are a few issues to consider here (easiest first):

1. It is very important to get a good holster or method for her to safely carry the gun. If she has good retention it is better for her and she will feel more confident. You also want her to carry it somewhere where she can not have an accidental discharge and where she can get at it easily. Carrying it in the bottom of a monster purse with multiple hairbrushes and pens and pencils etc, sounds like a recipe for disaster. THere was recently an article in one of the magazines by Clint Smith that talked about mountain lion attacks, If I can find it I will relay his opinions (someone here had mentioned lions tigers and bears). You may also want some type of lanyard for retention in the wild.

2. It is very important for her to practice on a regular basis for several reasons:
First I have noticed that when my wife started to shoot, she would flinch at the sound of each shot. This was at an indoor range with good hearing protection. This has lessened over time. At the range she would usually shoot her .357 with .38 loads. Every once in a while I would load it for her and mix in .38 +ps and .357s (I would let her know that I was doing this). Even with experience she would flinch a little at the more powerful loads. Now think what will happen in a high stress situation when she does not have any hearing protection.

Secondly if she practices she will improve her grip and her automatic responses when she has to do things in a stressful situation. She does not want to pull the trigger and lose the gun, because of her grip or being startled. If she is using a pistol then she also has to worry about limp wristing it and getting an FTE.

Third she needs to be able to automatically fix FTEs with a pistol. Tap and rack. Especially in a high stress situation.

3. DO you want her to carry a Pistol or a Revolver? Although my wife has both, I would not want her to carry a pistol (if and when we go to a state that believes in the US Constitution), if she did not practice regularly with it. She needs to understand how to prevent failures and how to clear them - automatically. If she does not practice, she will not do this under stress. There is also the issue of problems with failure to cycle with a pistol, in a close in attack, such as with a mountain lion, if she is in actual contact. (I believe Clint SMith mentioned this in his article). Maybe she is better off getting an 8 shot .357 if she is not going to practice. This will be much more reliable under stressful circumstances, with out a lot of practice.

BUT get her to practice on a regular basis. "Okay honey - would you like to go shopping on the way home from the range?"

If you do want her to carry the pistol I think V3 would be the best, as some of the folks have previously mentioned.

·
Registered
196 Posts
That DEA agent didn't "snag" the trigger on anything. His dumb ass didn't check the chamber before he pulled the trigger, STUPID! Moreover, no one cared to check these guns for live ammunition before they were brought in front of a classroom full of children. Glock or not, these are some stupid people, collectively and individualy.
I put that link in half for levity and half to show that a (supposedly) highly trained professional (as he said) could have an accidental discharge.

BTW - there was a under-sherrif in our state - he was some political hack, he suppoosedly put his firearm (that he just got) in a locker in his gym. It accidentally discharged , he ran out of the gym telling people that his cell phone blew up. We never found out what really happened.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have yet to "dry fire" the P2000sk so can anyone tell us how heavy the V3 trigger pull in DA would be compared to her revolver? If it is just as stiff to pull, I think i will be sold on the idea.

The trigger pull on the P2000SK in DA is about 11 lbs. In SA it is a very light 4.5 lbs. Your model 36 is probably around 11-12 lbs., I'll guess...maybe a bit more. I've only owned one small revolver and it wasn't a S&W.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
trigger pull

The trigger pull on the P2000SK in DA is about 11 lbs. In SA it is a very light 4.5 lbs. Your model 36 is probably around 11-12 lbs., I'll guess...maybe a bit more. I've only owned one small revolver and it wasn't a S&W.
Thank you, thats what I was looking for! Now in the V3 variant, one in the chamber.....is this gun considered "cocked" and "unlocked" ?? My understanding is that it gets "cocked" during the first heavy trigger pull so it is basically carried uncocked....correct? Sorry for all the questions. Everone seems to have a different take on these v1, v2 and v3 variants. Just trying to FULLY understand them all.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Thank you, thats what I was looking for! Now in the V3 variant, one in the chamber.....is this gun considered "cocked" and "unlocked" ?? My understanding is that it gets "cocked" during the first heavy trigger pull so it is basically carried uncocked....correct? Sorry for all the questions. Everone seems to have a different take on these v1, v2 and v3 variants. Just trying to FULLY understand them all.
The V.3 is usually carried with a round in the chamber, which of course cocks the hammer. Most people would then press the decock button to safely lower the hammer and place the gun in DA mode, whereas the long, heavy trigger pull (11 lbs.) cocks the hammer and fires the gun. Each subsequent trigger pull thereafter is in the light SA mode of 4.5 lbs.

V.2 is a DAO mode. The gun can't be cocked. Each trigger pull is the same and each one cocks and fires the gun. No decock button needed. Pull weight is about 8 lbs., but it feels lighter IMHO and is quite smooth.

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
triggers

The V.3 is usually carried with a round in the chamber, which of course cocks the hammer. Most people would then press the decock button to safely lower the hammer and place the gun in DA mode, whereas the long, heavy trigger pull (11 lbs.) cocks the hammer and fires the gun. Each subsequent trigger pull thereafter is in the light SA mode of 4.5 lbs.

V.2 is a DAO mode. The gun can't be cocked. Each trigger pull is the same and each one cocks and fires the gun. No decock button needed. Pull weight is about 8 lbs., but it feels lighter IMHO and is quite smooth.

Hope that helped.
Tremendously! Thank you

1 - 20 of 23 Posts