HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Correct me if I am wrong, but the P2000SK is the smallest, most compact HK pistol available in .40 S&W, right? And for that matter, the same would be true in 9mm as well?

I've been shopping around and that's what I have come up with so far. I have also found that it is very difficult to find right now. I had a guy at a local shop tell me, "...HK is trying to phase those out... everything is about the P30 now... they're getting away from the USP's too...". I take comments like that with a grain of salt, but is there any truth to it? If so, is there anything wrong with the P2000's, specifically the P2000SK's?

If not, I'm ready to jump on one as soon as I can find it. I am leaning toward the DA/SA version of the P2000SK since that is the configuration of my full size USP 45. Have there been any problems with the DA/SA configuration on the P2000SK? Any considerable disadvantage vs. the LEM? I prefer the short crisp trigger pull of the SA and the option to carry cocked and locked.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
HK isn't dropping the USP or P2000 series anytime soon. From what I've heard here, they are dropping 357 SIG as a caliber, but that's it.

WRT DA/SA vs LEM, either is fine with training. One note, the P2000 / P2000SK isn't offered with a manual safety, so it's either DA/SA or LEM - also, there is no factory authorized conversion from one to the other, unlike the USP and HK45 / 45C lineup. The P30 can be had with / without manual safeties (it's a separate lever, unlike the USP/HK45 pistols), but again if you get it that way, you can't take it off.

Yes, the P2000SK is the smallest HK pistol - available in 9/40 and previously 357 SIG. I love mine in 9MM, in light LEM setup. I only wish there were more aftermarket sight options for it.

Cheers,

Rhino

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Can't answer whether or not HK is phasing out the USP line or not. I do own both DA/SA and LEM in the P30 model. Both have their advantages, but I lean more toward the DA/SA. I like the heavier pull for the first round, and I don't find it a problem as long as the pull is smooth. The V2 LEM is a little heavy for a single-action-type pull, but not bad for its purpose, and the V1 is an alternative.

·
Registered
37 Posts
P2K

I have to admitt that when I first got mine (9mm DA/SA) I wasn't sure if it was for me. But as a CCW it seemed like the best out there to do what I intended it to be for. Took some patience and practice and some advice from some fellow HK'rs here to master my marksmanship but after awhile ( I ) adjusted to it and I gotta say that it's a sweet ccw. I myself prefere the 9mm over the SW40 due to recoil and the cost out the ammo.( 9mm) cheaper for practice , but again, it's my preference only. And, I don't know if HK is really phasing them out ( doubt it ) but people love em for ccw and HK probably didn't realize at the time of production that the public would go for a sub compact. (WRONG!) You won't be sorry about your purchase of a P2k, very practical, concealable and most of all...it's an HK......reliability is job one when it comes to HK weapons.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One note, the P2000 / P2000SK isn't offered with a manual safety, so it's either DA/SA or LEM - also, there is no factory authorized conversion from one to the other, unlike the USP and HK45 / 45C lineup. Rhino
ah... so I couldn't actually carry it cocked and locked... just cocked and unlocked, which I suppose I wouldn't be all that comfortable with. Does it have a decocker in the DA/SA configuration or would I have to manually thumb-drop the hammer on a live round to carry it hammer-down with one in the chamber? And, if I go with the DA/SA version, is the SA trigger pull noticably better vs. the LEM trigger pull? Is there a 'light' LEM setup or were you referring to LEM in general, meaning they are all 'light' D/A?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Don't believe anything your LGS tells you. Most of the time they don't know jack and the rest they just want to sell you whatever they have in stock to move their inventory.

·
Registered
37 Posts
yep..decocker . Besides, the DA trigger pull (resistance 11.5 lbs) needed on the 1st shot basically acts like a safety to some extent...thats why I carry it..the SA trigger resistance is something like 4.5 lbs I think. very crisp..great for rapid repeat fire.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got it. the little button/lever thing to the left of the hammer, right? so, I could carry it hammer down with one in the chamber and if I want that first shot to be SA too, just cock the hammer with my thumb, right?

anyone know the trigger pull for the LEM? are there different weights to be chosen from in LEM or are they all the same?

·
Registered
347 Posts
There is one factory LEM trigger weight that is imported to the US. (V2) With very little practice and good technique, you will be happy with it for a combat pistol. Do not expect a match trigger or 25 yd target accuracy. These are not that kind of gun and the LEM is not that kind of trigger.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is one factory LEM trigger weight that is imported to the US. (V2) With very little practice and good technique, you will be happy with it for a combat pistol. Do not expect a match trigger or 25 yd target accuracy. These are not that kind of gun and the LEM is not that kind of trigger.
I'm not getting the weapon for a target gun, it is for daily carry. I own a full size stainless USP 45 and absolutely love it, but like you, I live in the great state of Texas and as you know, it's hotter than hell down here. As much as I love my USP and have 110% confidence in it's reliability and accuracy, when I am not at work my typical atrtire is a T-shirt and the USP is damn near impossible for me to conceal under one. Granted, I could wear different attire to compensate (which I do during the 3-4 months of the year that are sub-boiling temperature here), but it still prints pretty easy.

I have been slacking and wearing my Kahr PM9 as a primary quite a bit when I only bought it as a back-up and which is frankly, just plain stupid. That's why I want the P2000SK - I can conceal it under a T-shirt just fine.

I'm just wondering if the difference in LEM vs. SA trigger pull is noticable enough to get the one with an external hammer. If not, I'll just go with the bobbed hammer LEM mode.

Anyone have experience shooting the two different modes?

Thanks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
There is definitely a difference, but when the time comes to use it, the adrenalin won't let you feel it. That is, the difference is subtle and none of us are going to stop right before the break and play "here it comes". The beauty of the LEM is that the memory you get from practice doesn't rely on "is it cocked, is this my second shot, did I decock..." That is the best part of LEM - the trigger stages the same every time. When I move to a DA/SA gun like a Sig, I invariably pop off an errant round because I am accustomed to doing one thing, which is not contingent on anything but the target.

That said, I have a buddy who likes the LEM but has trouble with the trigger. He just bought a DA/SA Sig 226 to see if that resolves his issues. His USPc is DA/SA but still has a marginal trigger. And I have to say, the stock Sig trigger is much smoother than any of our HK's (4 between us).

I still catch myself carrying the Sig P238 when I put on a t-shirt or shorts... it is just too handy. And my t-shirts have gotten a bit better fitting since I lost some weight and bought clothes to fit, so a smaller carry gun is good some days. I don't trust it as completely reliable, but when I can't conceal the P2000SK, better to have a gun than no gun.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My new-to-me P2000SK LEM is on the way to me now... so I can't compare directly yet.

Based on what I've read, and if it's anything like the other LEM variants, the "break" stage of the LEM should be VERY similar to the SA pull of the SA/DA version.

On my USPc .45 light LEM:
1st stage / takeup - 1lb 3oz - very light, but long take up
2nd stage / break - 5lb 0oz (this is the same whether after the take-up for the first shot, or after releasing to the reset point for subsequent shots, and very similar to the feel of the SA pull on the gun before I converted to LEM).

From what I've read, the "standard" LEM on the P2000sk is approx 7lbs for the break stage. Swapping in a light trigger return spring and possibly a light firing pin block spring will lighten it up.

My objective is to make my USPc .45 and my P2000sk have as close to the same trigger feel as possible.

My opinion - the LEM is the ultimate CCW trigger setup. It has changed my opinion on what and how to carry since I converted my USPc. But not everyone who tries it shares this opinion.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm just wondering if the difference in LEM vs. SA trigger pull is noticable enough to get the one with an external hammer. If not, I'll just go with the bobbed hammer LEM mode.

Anyone have experience shooting the two different modes?

Thanks.
By external hammer, I am assuming you mean the DA/SA. And yes as mentioned above, I have experience with both DA/SA and LEM V2, but on a different model (P30). I believe DA requires more range time to master. It is a longer and heavier pull. V2 LEM, to me, is similar to SA, but is heavier, and doesn't have the same break. What I mean by that is that there doesn't seem to be any positive engagement. You pull, and then the hammer - sear disengage. I prefer the slide feel just before the release. This positive engagement is easier to feel in the SA modes over the LEMS. It just makes it easier for me to shoot without the need to stage the trigger.

I have two V2 LEMs. I like them, but at this time, I think I like the DA/SA a little better.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Assuming it follows the same as with the P30s, I'd have to say that the SA mode does.

·
Registered
37 Posts
DA 11.5 lbs and SA 4.5 lbs on variant 3.....just makes me feel alittle safer without the use of a safety and with a round chambered to know that an accidental discharge is alot less likely to happen with the variant 3 DA/SA as opposed to any LEM variant. Got to go with what makes 'you' feel confident and safe.

·
Registered
596 Posts
They're equally unlikely to happen, if no one pulls the trigger of either gun. :)

I know, I know.

·
Registered
77 Posts
DA 11.5 lbs and SA 4.5 lbs on variant 3.....just makes me feel alittle safer without the use of a safety and with a round chambered to know that an accidental discharge is alot less likely to happen with the variant 3 DA/SA as opposed to any LEM variant. Got to go with what makes 'you' feel confident and safe.
Given the pull @ SA 4.5 lbs, what's the pull with the LEM? 7.5 pounds?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Don't believe anything your LGS tells you. Most of the time they don't know jack and the rest they just want to sell you whatever they have in stock to move their inventory.
Certainly gun shops and their employees vary but there is a great deal of truth in this statement. :wink:

I've had a 9mm P2000 SK V3 for several years and absolutely adore it. Mine is a real tack driver, a pleasure to shoot for extended range sessions (unlike many other small pistols) and has devoured every type of jhp and fmj ammo I've fed it.

It's a very fine handgun by any measure.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts