HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of picking up a P2000 in the next year. I know a lot of people love the P2K in 9mm, but what about in 40 S&W? Are there any problems or concerns with the 40 S&W version I should be aware of?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have one in the LEM and love it. I haven't shot the 9 but the recoil is very soft for a 40. I rented one at a range before buying and there must have been something wrong with it because the recoil was brutal on the rental. I bought based on HK's reputation (this is my first HK) and I believe the recoil is very similar to my 229. I have no hesitation in recommending the P2K in 40. I'm thinking of picking up another in 9mm if I don't get the P30.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
I'm thinking of picking up a P2000 in the next year. I know a lot of people love the P2K in 9mm, but what about in 40 S&W? Are there any problems or concerns with the 40 S&W version I should be aware of?
I don't know of any problems, alot of people don't care for the 40 because it is just so snappy in other guns. I have no idea how it does or don't do in the P2K because I don't like the round because of the OTHER guns and how snappy it was.

·
Registered
101 Posts
KevH: I agree with both previous responses, I do think that the .40 is a snappier round in most guns, but in my P2K-SK the snappiness is not that apparent. Could be the recoil dampening design help reduce perceived recoil, but my .40 feels about the same as my .45 USPc. The full size P2000 will be even better. Most of the folks I shoot with agree that their defense gun's caliber should start with an "F". That said, with the improvements in modern bullet design I don't think you can call the 9mm a bad choice if that is what shoots well for you. If there is any chance you can test drive one before you by it I think that would be a wise move.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If it's a defense gun, and you can shoot the .40 as well as the 9mm, get the .40sw.

Shoot the biggest, most powerful rounds you can accuratly and consistantly shoot.

·
Registered
231 Posts
None that I know of KevH!
I love my P2000 in .40! I ditched my LEM and bought a V3 DA/SA version and couldn't be happier!
It seems to have very little recoil for a .40. It's a fun gun to shoot!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have P2000sk (yes, I know you are talking about a regular P2k) in both 9mm and .40. After about 600 rounds through each I can say I'm just as accurate with either. I am slightly faster with the 9mm but I carry the .40.

The guns generally cost the same to purchase in either caliber so no help there. Ammo for the .40 is about 20% more expensive than the 9mm and it is more powerful by about the same amount. If you want to shoot alot but are on a budget, get the 9mm. If you beleive bigger is better, get .40. If blue is your favorite color get the 9mm... If red is your favorite color get the .40...

----

Years ago I standardized my guns to 9mm to have a common, less expensive round for target practice. When CC became a reality in my life I bought the P2Ksk in .40 thinking that there would only be time for one or two shots so they'd better hit hard. I bought the .40 first but ammo is a bit expensive for high volume practice so I bought the 9mm a few weeks later (and it's nice to have an spare in case one needs work). After having spent a couple weeks shooting the same gun in two calibers I feel totally comfortable carrying either.

Whatever you get. Practice. Practice. Practice.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a p2000 in 9mm and I love it. My friend has one in 40, I shot his quite a few times and it has a bit more crack to it but both are awesome. You cant go wrong with the 9mm, very soft kick, extremely accurate and still gets the job done. A lot of people compare it to the p30 but one is a ccw and the other a service so you cant really compare the two, they are both in different leagues. Good luck with your purchase, I can assure you you wont be disappointed no matter what caliber you decide upon.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I don't know of any problems, alot of people don't care for the 40 because it is just so snappy in other guns. I have no idea how it does or don't do in the P2K because I don't like the round because of the OTHER guns and how snappy it was.
I keep reading this reference to "snappy" in connection with the .40SW. Over and over again, I have had folks tell me not to get a certain gun, particularly a compact in .40 because it's too "snappy" and if I shoot one, a key appendage will fall off and I'll be auditioning for the Vienna Boy's Choir. Well, I went ahead anyway. I now own several .40's, my body parts are still intact, and I haven't picked up a few octaves in the process. I have a P2K in .40, I have a diminutive Glock 27 in .40 and a Walther P99 compact in .40. All three particularly the P2K are manageable and the more you practice, the better you get. And while advances have been made in beefing up the 9mm, all things being equal, I'd rather score a hit with a .40SW vs. 9mm if given the option.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would stick with a 9mm just for the sake of commonality. The power difference, while there, is negligible. IMO, 9mm and .45acp are the only two semi-auto pistol calibers anyone needs.

·
Registered
373 Posts
"IMO, 9mm and .45acp are the only two semi-auto pistol calibers anyone needs."

A shotgun is probably all anyone needs if you're talking home defense. Bottom line, you get what you are most comfortable with and you practice and then you practice some more. This will provide the level of proficiency required regardless of caliber.

Evidently many shooters do not agree with your statement as the .40SW remains extremely popular. Folks in the forums continue to rant against it but sales figures tell another story.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I would stick with a 9mm just for the sake of commonality. The power difference, while there, is negligible. IMO, 9mm and .45acp are the only two semi-auto pistol calibers anyone needs.
Is the power difference between the .40 and .45 negligible?

By that logic, couldn't you simplify it even further and replace the .45 and 9mm with the .40 and only own one caliber, if standardizing is your goal?

This isn't at you imparticular, but I notice it's the 9mm apologists who always make the statements like "with modern bullet designs, they're all the same" and "the ballistics just arent there" and the old standby "I'd rather have the extra rounds available with 9mm"

With standard loadings the 155gr & 165gr .40sw rounds beat the 9mm in every ballistic catagory.

I love the .40, if you didn't notice, but I will never say that it makes the .45 obsolete. Just as the 9mm wont make the .40 obsolete.

They all have their place and I like them each for what each one brings to the table.

·
Registered
390 Posts
What about when you go all the way up to 180gr in .40?

Doesn't that take the cake?

Do they still make those "evil" Black Talons? Do they come in .40 180gr?

What would be the most "powerful" .40 round available?

180gr hollowpoint? Black Talon, etc?

·
Registered
383 Posts
What about when you go all the way up to 180gr in .40?

Doesn't that take the cake?

Do they still make those "evil" Black Talons? Do they come in .40 180gr?

What would be the most "powerful" .40 round available?

180gr hollowpoint? Black Talon, etc?
Yeah they still make them, they're not black anymore though.

It's JMO, but I think the 180gr bullet is a little too heavy for the .40sw. At that point you might as well shoot 185gr .45 ammo. That's just IMO of course as the 180gr is pretty popular.

I just prefer a 155gr-165gr bullet at 1200ft/sec-1150ft/sec compared to a 180gr bullet at 975ft/sec. You can see the drop-off is more pronounced once you get to the heavier options. On top of that, the additional velocity aids in proper expansion.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have only read a couple of quick things on the net just a few minutes ago about the 180gr Black Talons, and I did see not enough expansion time.

But aren't the Black Talons designed to expand the easiest out of all hollow points?

Isn't 180gr going to give the person your shooting at the hardest "hammer wack" on their body?

And when trying to stop an intruder or bad guy, isn't the stopping/knockdown power mostly what your going for?

I also see they do make them but don't coat them in black anymore. (The black was pretty sharp and different looking, especially with the silver shells)

·
Banned
77 Posts
Thats one of the more stupid comment I've ever heard. .40S&W is an excellent round to fill the gap between 9 and 45. Not that 9 isnt sufficient (with premium grade ammo such as 124gr +P GD), but I prefer my USP40c loaded with 180gr GD to any other gun. Still have almost the same capacity of a 9 with the bullet weight of a light end .45 (with better sectional density).

If you cannot shoot the so-called "snappy" round, dont. Or alternatively, grow a pair.

·
Banned
77 Posts
I just prefer a 155gr-165gr bullet at 1200ft/sec-1150ft/sec compared to a 180gr bullet at 975ft/sec. You can see the drop-off is more pronounced once you get to the heavier options. On top of that, the additional velocity aids in proper expansion.
This is turning into a bullet forum! Last comment. I agree, the light stuff in .40 is great. The only reason why I prefer the 180gr is that it penetrates deeper due to the extra mass (see the gelatin tests on tacticalforum.com). It also performs better through hard obstacles like car windows/plywood doors.

But none the less, a 155gr Winchester silvertip at 1150fps will do the job every time. I get 1020fps from a 180 Speer Gold Dot out of my USPc which is pretty good in my books.

Also, a 180gr bullet in .40 will penetrate better than a 185gr bullet in .45 due to a better sectional density. Just for those times where you have to go through a fore arm before hitting center mass.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Sure the increased recoil of the .40 made it harder to get used to then the 9mm. But after much range time the .40 is shooting as well as the 9mm for me. Practice is everything.

I actually find less kick coming from my USP Compact .40 then my USP Combat Comp. .40. The shorter barrel guns seem to actually handle the .40 better with less so called "snap", for me anyway. I can also shoot a G23 pretty damned well too.

Try the .40 before you buy one. Try it side by side with the 9mm and give it a good work out. I gurantee you will be good with the .40 in no time if you just practice.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I love my P2000 and P2000sk in .40 S&W. I have LEM triggers on both of them. There is no harsh recoil like in my old Glocks. I think the P2000 is perfect for .40 S&W and woud rather have 12 rounds of .40 S&W versus 13 of 9mm.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts