HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My P2000sk .40 has failed to feed three times. Each jam was the last round in the magazine with the nose of the bullet wedged at the top of the chamber with the heal of the bullet still in the magazine. It has happened with both of my magazines and it happened with over 130 rounds through the gun so I'm wondering if dirt is a factor.

The first jam was with Gold Dot hollow points after shooting 50 Blazer Brass and 50 Winchester White Box. The next two times were with Winchester White Box (WWB). I had fired 50 rounds Blazer Brass and 70 rounds of WWB, oiled the gun and the jams occurred at shots 130 & 150. The last round in the magazine each time. The gun functioned fine up to shot 250 where I called it a day with the HK. The gun is approaching 400 rounds.

Is this a back to HK USA issue? Tweak the magazine lips? Clean the gun more often? Stop shooting cheap ammo (never)? Or break it in more?

·
Registered
78 Posts
If it were me, I would send it back to HK. With only 130 rounds post cleaning, it shouldn't be too dirty to function properly. I would think it should be able to go 1000+ rounds between cleaning w/o any issues.

As it is the last round in the mag, I would initially suspect a bad extractor. From reading SigForum, a batch of P220s had that same problem and it turned out to be extractor related (interfered with chambering somehow).

If the gun is used, you may also try replacing the recoil spring, but if it is new, then something is wrong. Did you give it a really thorough cleaning when you first got it before you shot it? If not it may just need a good cleaning. I am not familiar with the P2k, but the USP manual says to be very stingy with the oil...

FWIW, if it hung up on gold dots and WWB, then you can probably rule out ammo issues. Gold Dots are typically pretty hot and WWB is usually pretty tame. I shoot +p gold dots in my USP45f for defense and CCI brass blazer at the range. Both feed without issue.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
It shouldn't require a break-in.

My initial reaction is to assume that it isn't clean. Make sure all the factory grease is out of the gun. It's not lubricant. It will make the gun fail. Clean according to the HK manual. I don't mean to insult you, it's just that troubleshooting requires me to assume that you know nothing.

Some others may claim limp wristing. Personally, I can't get my SK to fail no matter how I hold it.

You may have gotten a weak recoil spring. It is possible (though not likely) that the springs in both of your mags are lagging. It's possible that the barrel isn't to spec. It's possible that you have bad luck with ammo.

Too many possibilities... let's start small. ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the gun new a few weeks ago and it has been cleaned several times.

I've tried intentionally limp wristing and I cannot make the gun jam. One jam was with a very rigid stiff arm grip and one was with a normal two handed grip. The gun than went through the next 100 rounds of WWB without error so it's not very predictable.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried Remington UMC 180 grain tonight and had two jams in 50 rounds. The gun was clean & oiled and like previously it was always the last round in the magazine. Time for my new sk to go to spa HK for a little tuning.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The fact that it is always the last round in the mag makes me think that something is amiss. Make sure you send the mags back with the gun in case it is mag related.

Hope it goes well for you. Let us know how HK treats you on the service.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My gun is heading back to H&K today. The service person I spoke to was nice but he seemed every so slighly displeased that I had not tried Federal ammunition before sending it back. I don't think he appreciated the difference between $16 a box vs $10.50 when you a lot... I am also surprised that H&K does not pay shipping.

My problem now is that I am left without a carry gun while my sk is at the factory. I was thinking of getting a P2sk in 9mm for practice (cheaper ammo)and as a backup for just this occurance but I'm not too comfortable buying another copy of a gun that is not working well but I would like something extremely similar for practice. Also, I have not seen any P2Ksk 9mm for sale on the board.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Look at CDNN I am sure they have a P2000SK in 9mm in stock for a decient price. TJ

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I gave them a call and they do not have it, nor do they know when they will. It took forever, but I just finished downloading their catalog. I may post an add in the wanted section and see if anybody wants to sell or trade something.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Give Clyde Armory a call. They should have the P2Ksk in stock and all their guns come with the LEO package which includes factory nightsites and three magazines at a good price.
https://www.policeguns.com

·
Banned
77 Posts
My problem now is that I am left without a carry gun while my sk is at the factory. I was thinking of getting a P2sk in 9mm for practice (cheaper ammo)and as a backup for just this occurance but I'm not too comfortable buying another copy of a gun that is not working well but I would like something extremely similar for practice. Also, I have not seen any P2Ksk 9mm for sale on the board.
Just get yourself a USPc. Best gun I've ever had. Mine is a .40 as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will get a P2000sk in 9mm. It will be identical to the .40 I carry so I can use it for lower cost practice/training and it will be my backup to carry while H&K has my .40 for waranty work.

I was initially hesitant about getting a second P2Ksk because I had a very bad time with another brand of gun that never worked properly despite repeated trips back to the factory. After being on this board for a few weeks I take a lot of comfort being one of the very few people posting any problems with an H&K pistol. I am also glad that my P2Ksk's problem was always with the last round in the magazine. A specific problem can be fixed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
If you want to see how the service trip is going I created a new thread. H&Ks service has been so good I hated for this to be burried on page two (especially since I created a thread titled "failure to feed"... it just doesn't look good).

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?p=516012#post516012

1 - 14 of 14 Posts