HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My P30 .40 is my last .40 remaining firearm. My ammo stock is anemic on .40 as well, <500 remaining. Trying to decide if I should get out of .40, staying w/ .45 & 9mm or stay with/increase my .40 stock (ammo & firearms).

Why am I even considering it?
I really like the 9mm round, & ammo is more affordable. Federal HST 124gr is a fine SD round.
I really, really like my .45 ACPs, & ammo is only a bit more than .40
I could sell/trade the P30 for another 9mm or .45

Haven't made any final decisions obviously, so......Your thoughts & why?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Personally I went all .45acp.

I figured if I need to deal with recoil...might as well go bigger caliber. Actually, my experience is that my 45c was less snappy than my previously owned P2000 .40. But...perceived recoil is totally subjective.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I got rid of my last .40...tired of too many different types of ammo. 9mm and 45 for pistols.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Just did this very thing last week, sold my last two .40s for an HK45 and USP 45. Now I am all 9 and .45.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Did just the opposite. I had nothing but 9s and .45s in centerfire autos. I recently picked up a .40 P30 V2. I now own a .40, because I can remember after the 2008 election, even when you couldn't find 9mm or .45, you could find .40 ammo. I only own the one, but I'll keep it.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
You can live without a .40 if you have a 9mm and .45 given the bullet selection.

But if you really like the .40S&W, there's no shame in keeping it either.

·
Registered
854 Posts
the biggest question is whether you reload or not--
if you buy only off shelf ammo then limiting your ammo types makes sense...no shame in sending one off to another home if it makes sense!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I really like my USP in .40. I haven't shot one in 9mm yet though, and I do plan to get a p2000sk in 9mm soon. $159.00 per 1000 fmj is pretty attractive too, saw it online today. Since the USP was my first HK, it's going to stay, but I will be adding more 9mm guns to my collection rather than. 40 in the future especially since my wife is getting a 9mm soon too.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Just did this very thing last week, sold my last two .40s for an HK45 and USP 45. Now I am all 9 and .45.
Smart!
I'll take 9mm any day over .40s&w.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I say get out. If you already have a .45, there's not point in spending the extra money on .40 ammo. You get snappier recoil with .40, the cost isn't good and it doesn't have the stopping power of the .45. I used to have a Sig P229 .40 and I wound up selling it after I bought a P220 .45 and now I've got a USP 9mm on the way for the range.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I kinda went through the same thing 6mo ago. went ahead and sold my last 40 cal because shooting the 9mm is much cheaper then 40. So for me that means more practice time. But I'm having a hard time trying to make myself sell my last 357sig so I know where your coming from.

Jhammon, just wondering where your finding 1000rd case fmj for $159

·
Registered
120 Posts
I got rid of my last .40...tired of too many different types of ammo. 9mm and 45 for pistols.
I did the same with my P30S .40. It was just the odd man out and as previously mentioned, 9 is cheaper to practice with, a great SD round with modern JHP's, and .45 isn't much more than .40 and more enjoyable to shoot IMO.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Seems many of us have been through this same dilemma. I decided to stick with just .45 and 9mm for my handguns (and .32 auto for my Seecamp pocket gun). I sold my .40 caliber pistols and ammo and never looked back.

·
Registered
818 Posts
IMO, either shoot 9mm or .45 acp and skip the .40 S&W.

It's a half measure IMO. YMMV, good luck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a couple of personal theories and guidelines here. Remember they are mine but would appreciate comments:
1. Minimize the number of calibers you stock and shoot. Unless its for collecting purposes, focus focus focus.
2. If you live in CA and a few other states where there is a limited round count (10), go with .45. If you can't shoot a lot of rounds, then each round must be most effective
3. If you don't live in a restricted state, focus on 9mm so that you can maximize round count. The odds of hitting something when under pressure is exceedingly low, and so high round count is in your favor. 9mm's tend to have higher capacities;
4. In mathematics and biology, there is something called the 'law of the excluded middle' which essentially means that value and survival moves to the poles of a distribution. .40 sw is in the middle. Bad choice.
5. There are always exceptions (e.g. carrying a .458 (?) in your private pilot bag or something else odd). But don't manage by exception.
I have tried to obey all of these but ended up with a focus on 9mm despite being in CA because I started off with at P7M13. Suboptimal but otherwise efficient in purchasing and 'fueling' handguns and carbines. If I had to do it all over again, I'd end up with .45's as the round of choice though I'd hate to have to forgo my P7's. But then I could have bought a Kriss instead of a AT-94. :)
B

·
Registered
276 Posts
Stay in! I love my P30 in .40 and would be very hard pressed to let it get away from me. You already have 500rds of .40 s&w keep adding to your pile!

·
Registered
890 Posts
sold my my .40 a few months back, and am all 9mm (carry/car) and .45 (home)...I've always liked these 2 calibers better than .40 (personal preference), and will choose the 9mm capacity over the larger calibers any day...training and confidence in trigger control aside, I've never been in a dynamic situation to test said training...I like having a few extra rounds in the gun with a 15 round reload...9mm ammo is also pretty inexpensive across the board...I love 9mm 124gr +p (GD or Ranger) and 127gr +p+ (Ranger) for defense.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts