HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, recently picked up a p30 in 9mm, want to pick up another. While searching I found some in .40sw for as low as $560, while the 9mm remain in their normal price range. What gives? Would you guys jump on the current .40sw gun deals for HK? I'd appreciate your input.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Personally no. Advances with 9mm sd ammo have pushed the 40 cartridge to the margins of new gun purchases. Their resale value has continued to decline as more le switch away from 40 back to 9 and an occasional 45.
The only plus i see mentioned often is that during panic buying and hoarding ammo, 40 cal was still available. Ammo availability in 9mm isn't a problem for a while now though.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
The P30/P30L in 40 S&W are good to go!

Hey guys, recently picked up a p30 in 9mm, want to pick up another. While searching I found some in .40sw for as low as $560, while the 9mm remain in their normal price range. What gives? Would you guys jump on the current .40sw gun deals for HK? I'd appreciate your input.
Picked up my P30 40 S&W V2 in 2011 when they were relativly new new.
Paid just short of $900 bucks.
IMHO $560 is a screaming good deal for one.
40 S&W in general seems to be going out of favor with civilians.
And tends to have reduced pricing when compared to 9mm.
Since you already have a P30 in 9mm.
May I suggest you concider a P30L 40 S&W.

At any rate, was just out shooting yesterday with mine.
With 180 gr ammo it's soft shooting and laser accurate.
I'm carrying it today.
As you likely already know - the P30/P30L has some of Hk's best ergonomics.
And like all of their products - it's totally bombproof.

Buy a P30 40 S&W with confidence friend :wink:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Would you guys jump on the current .40sw gun deals for HK? I'd appreciate your input.
I just ordered a stainless USP compact in .40 S&W. I would have preferred a 9mm USP compact, but it's hard to pass up a brand new stainless USP compact for $610.

If you're on the fence with regards to the .40 S&W, the current pricing gives you the opportunity to give the caliber a shot (pun intended) at a discount. If you find you don't like .40 S&W, I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding a buyer for your HK at that lower price level. You shouldn't have much trouble selling a lightly used P30 in the lower $500 range, even if it's chambered in .40 S&W.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Personally no. Advances with 9mm sd ammo have pushed the 40 cartridge to the margins of new gun purchases. Their resale value has continued to decline as more le switch away from 40 back to 9 and an occasional 45.
The only plus i see mentioned often is that during panic buying and hoarding ammo, 40 cal was still available. Ammo availability in 9mm isn't a problem for a while now though.
The minimal difference in cost between 9mm and .40 should never be a factor. Who cares what LE currently uses. Most of them can't hit the broad side of a barn anyway, never practice, and have to use something without punch just to qualify. Most here seem to prefer 9mm because they can't hit s#!t with .40. It wouldn't be the first time I've heard this either. >40 cal. is my friend, and could be yours too. As mentioned, if you don't like it, it won't be a problem selling it. I'll buy your ammo if that's the case.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I love my P30 in .40....very soft shooting gun, accurate, %100 reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dpadams6

·
Registered
974 Posts
Is the ejector in the 40s&w frames different that in the 9mm version?

I'm wondering if I could pick up a P30L V1 in 40s&w and use the uppers to swap between V1 and V3 versions of the guns.... Anyone tried this?

I rather dislike 40... but damn I'm tempted to pick one of these P30's up. Though I think if I were going to get something else right now, I'd probably jump on the P2000SK 9mm.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yeah, that's what I've been looking at. But the P30 40 is also $569! So many options! And so close to Xmas.... I've got too much money to spend on others right now anyways. heh

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I'm planning to head out to the range and rent some .40s specifically for this reason. I shot .40 once and pretty much hated it, but that was a long time ago and also the first time I fired a gun period. I need to give it another fair shake. It would also be nice to be able to try out 357 sig with a conversion barrel. If I end up liking it I'm leaning toward a P2000 since I don't have that platform yet. Have a P30sk and VP9.

·
Registered
716 Posts
IMHO, .40 does recoil just a bit more (and a little "differently, in terms of feel) than 9mm. I get the fact that if can be shot more quickly, and with slightly better target reacquisition times, generally speaking.

But...good SD 9mm ammo, especially of the +P variety, start to negate the "low recoil" advantage. The two calibers shoot about the same for me, in the aforementioned scenario. The capacity advantage will always go to the 9mm, but that is minimal, and certainly acceptable for me. I like the bigger bullet.

The same quys who staunchly defend HK's lower capacity when compared to a Glock, for instance, are the same guys who decry the .40 for giving up one or two rounds to the 9mm in the same model HK pistol. To me, it's talking out of both sides, if you get my meaning.

I don't dislike the 9mm. I have a few HK's in the caliber. But I really like, trust, and enjoy my .40 caliber HK's. 9mm fans on this site are found of saying the 9mm will "get the job done" I don't diasagree, in most circumstances. The .40 will also get the job done, and shouldn't be ignored. It is a fine caliber with an establish track record in the LEO community.

Go for the pistol at that price point. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
IMHO, .40 does recoil just a bit more (and a little "differently, in terms of feel) than 9mm. I get the fact that if can be shot more quickly, and with slightly better target reacquisition times, generally speaking.

But...good SD 9mm ammo, especially of the +P variety, start to negate the "low recoil" advantage. The two calibers shoot about the same for me, in the aforementioned scenario. The capacity advantage will always go to the 9mm, but that is minimal, and certainly acceptable for me. I like the bigger bullet.

The same quys who staunchly defend HK's lower capacity when compared to a Glock, for instance, are the same guys who decry the .40 for giving up one or two rounds to the 9mm in the same model HK pistol. To me, it's talking out of both sides, if you get my meaning.

I don't dislike the 9mm. I have a few HK's in the caliber. But I really like, trust, and enjoy my .40 caliber HK's. 9mm fans on this site are found of saying the 9mm will "get the job done" I don't diasagree, in most circumstances. The .40 will also get the job done, and shouldn't be ignored. It is a fine caliber with an establish track record in the LEO community.

Go for the pistol at that price point. You won't regret it.
Someone who gets it....................

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I very rarely hear capacity as the argument against .40, it's almost always about felt recoil. Capacity is just an "oh by the way" since you only lose 2 rounds in most cases. Sometimes only one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a P30L in .40 and it is the best all around pistol I own.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts