HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been really itching to get a P30 in 9mm lately and I think next trip to the LGS I won't be able to stop myself.

I was thinking if I ever wanted to carry it is the P30 OK with +P or +P+ ammunition? I'm sure it is just like the mighty USP but I wanted some extra opinions.

Thanks guys

-DBLAction454

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Operator's Manual states +P and +P+ is not recommended, although I am sure there will be others who will post good results with shooting these in their P-Series.

FWIW my P30 does just fine with regular 124 gr.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
i've ran plenty +p's through mine never grabbed +p+ for it, keep in mind out +p's are just a tad hotter than std NATO spec rounds.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As others have stated, +P should be fine, and it is similar to 9mm NATO. From the manual:

NOTE: Use of +P and +P+ ammunition accelerates wear and reduces the service life on the component parts of any pistol, including the P Series pistols, and is not recommended.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you can afford to wear a P30 out with +P+ ammo, you can afford to buy a replacement.
I have 1500 rounds of Winchester 127gr. +P+ through mine with zero issues, on top of 15k+ rounds of assorted fmj ammo (including NATO spec 124).
It still performs like new.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I chose the P30(LS) in 40 S&W because it is designed to handle the factory loads which tend to have a fair amount of energy, heavier bullet weight and more thump when they stop at the target. The hottest 9mm load isn't much better than a .22, if shot placement isn't correct. A shot through the x ring always wins, but a miss is still a miss. To me it's more like a hunting situation, the best "gun" to use is one you know, shoot well, and are confident in your ability to make consistent shots with. The 9mm, 40 or 45 are all decent rounds if shot placement is correct. If you're thinking about the +P+ in 9mm, perhaps a P2000 with the 357 Sig round might be more to your liking?

·
Registered
589 Posts
"+p+" does not have a definition for "standard." So, be wary of +p+. Where your use of +p will likely be PD and not target use, a few thousand rds will not hurt the firearm in any manner you will be able to measure. My understanding is the P30 guns are designed to handle 9mm NATO, which is similar to +p. Your target ammo will likely be standard load, maybe even 115 gr. A few hundred or few thousand rds of +p should be no problem. The same caveat is in the USP manual, even though they were designed specifically to handle a lot of +p. Hotter loads will quite naturally wear a firearm faster than standard loads. But HKs are still designed to handle more rds of +p than most of us are likely to shoot in a lifetime.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think to many people forget what firearms are. They are tools. When they wear out you either fix them or replace them. Let her eat IMO.

·
Registered
353 Posts
A few points.
The P30 is chambered in .40.
Mechanically the P30 is the same pistol as a P2000, which is chambered in .40 and .357sig.
Both .40 and especially .357sig are far harder on guns than any 9mm +P or commercially available +P+.
I have zero reservations about shooting +P and +P+ from major US manufacturers through my P-series H&K's.
My carry load is either +P Federal 124's or +P+ Winchester 127's and I've shot thousands of these rounds through my P2000's and P30 with zero issues.
Does it accelerate wear on the recoil spring and hammer spring? Probably. I change those out every 10k-15k rounds anyway (H&K recommended interval is 20k).
Is shooting +P+ 9mm through a P30 like pulling the pin on a hand grenade? No.
The USBP issued load for the .40 P2000 is a "hot" 155gr. (exceeds .40 spec of 35k psi, would be considered +P if SAAMI had a spec for .40 +P), does it accelerate wear? Yes. Is it dangerous or causing failures? No.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
If the manual says no than don't. +p or +p+ will GREATLY accelerate wear and void your warrenty. Keep in mind, P series pistols are plastic.
Greatly, eh? Got anything to support that with?

I wouldn't worry about the +p issue. I've fired 2,464 rounds of NATO/+p and 498 rounds of +p+ through my P30 endurance gun.

Shooting +p through your HK will accelerate wear in the same way that driving 70mph in your car will accelerate wear compared to driving 55mph.
His gun went 93000 or so rounds.

Here's HK making an official statement on this forum:

All HK pistols can handle +P and +P+ ammo. They actually function better in a "new" P30 9mm. The manual states that because of accelerated wear on the pistol and increased potential for breakage with heavy use of higher pressure ammo. Also, high pressure ammo has a greater risk of possible ammo case failure resulting in damage to the pistol / injury to the shooter.
So, yeah, no **** it increases wear. Shooting the pistol at all causes wear. It's a non-issue.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Not to mention if you decide to carry +p+ the gun itself will handle it well.

as far as defensive ammo is concerned, am I the only one who barely shoots any of it? When i'm actually putting rounds through it, it's all fmj. Except for when I decided upon my carry ammo. Bought 3 boxes and shot 1 to verify they functioned well. The rest have been in an ammo box since.

OP run some +p or +p+ at an indoor range or night shoot and watch the fireworks

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
as far as defensive ammo is concerned, am I the only one who barely shoots any of it? When i'm actually putting rounds through it, it's all fmj. Except for when I decided upon my carry ammo. Bought 3 boxes and shot 1 to verify they functioned well. The rest have been in an ammo box since.
I'm pretty much the same, bro. I shoot a box or so to verify its compatibility with my P2000 and then largely practice with whatever range ammo I have. Every 6 months or so I'll shoot maybe a mags worth of my defensive ammo. To date, my P2000 has seen over 16,000 rounds....just under 1000 of that is +p and +p+, about 700 is NATO, and the rest is standard pressure.

If +p+ made for pistols (I'm not talking about subgun ammo such as L7) was dangerous or greatly enhanced wear, it wouldn't be the round chosen by some of the most risk/liability adverse, penny-pinching police agencies in America.

Maybe if you ran 20,000 rounds of +P+ vs 20,000 rounds of standard pressure you would see a difference in wear or parts breakages on an HK. It's seriously a non-issue for 99.99% of end users.

·
Registered
890 Posts
+1 for +p+ ammo...while 90% of the ammo run through my HKs is 115gr and 124gr FMJ range ammo of various reputable types, I carry +p+ (RA9TA). While I don't run a ton of it, I run enough to feel comfortable carrying it (same with +p), and am not really worried about increased wear. No sense in carrying ammo I can't put on target at speed (or that my gun all of the sudden decides not to eat/mags decide not to feed; although not likely from my experiences)...from there, I just hope all of the shooting/training pays off if I am ever in a SD scenario.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts