HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So what's the verdict? Does it fit, does it function? I'm ready to suppress my 2-toned P2K with my Octane and I don't want to go down the potentially dark EFK path. My barrel has been hard chromed, so having it cut, extended and threaded isn't an option due to the concerns of flaking or chipping. The barrel lug appears to be the exact same. Threads will need to be 13.5x1 LH (Metric) so the bbl length will need to be accomodating.

I don't care what HK says or recommends (hell, they don't think a P2K threaded bbl is worthwhile); I just want to know if it fits and if it works. If it fits, then I have the option of picking up a P30 or P30L barrel and getting it threaded. Only other option seems to be buying a new P2000 barrel and doing the cut-extended-thread deal, but I'd rather not have an extension job if the P30 barrel will do the job.

What's the hive's experience/consensus?

Help me get this:

To here:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think you can convert an HK to a Sig. Sorry, can't help it. :wink:
Wouldn't be prudent; the SIG's the current suppressor host and it's here to stay! :100000:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
I was the one who swapped the top half of both guns and fired them without a problem. I don't recall if I swapped the barrels. I have to try that but I'm pretty sure they are to spec with one another.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was the one who swapped the top half of both guns and fired them without a problem. I don't recall if I swapped the barrels. I have to try that but I'm pretty sure they are to spec with one another.
Curious, did you get a chance to compare the barrels? locking block? eyeing it, did it look like same spec? thanks much

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't mind trying, that would be awesome! Of course, if it don't fit, then don't force it! :wink:

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm thinking you'll need to get a P30L barrel...as I don't think the standard P30 barrel will give you near enough length.

Cool idea though!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinking you'll need to get a P30L barrel...as I don't think the standard P30 barrel will give you near enough length.

Cool idea though!
I think you're right. Worst case scenario it'll be a tad long after the threads, but the bbl may be able to get chopped to compensate if needed.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The P30 barrel with the threads will work in the P2000 long as it is the same caliber. The 40 is not the same specs since it is beefier and the lug is different. It would work 40 P30 to 40 P2000. You don't need the P30l barrel unless your the one who is threading the barrel. The standard prepped barrel will be fine.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Here you go guys: P30L 9mm barrel on a P2000 9mm frame and slide. The P30L barrel fits perfectly and no excessive play inside the P2000 slide.
Looks like you're in luck Rican Havoc. Let me know if you want any additional pics.

Click on pics to see full-size.

·
Registered
311 Posts
That is interesting.

Does the front of the barrel have any play or wiggle room on the front of the slide? I seen to remember my P30 barrel being a larger diameter towards the muzzle than in the center section of the barrel, and I'm wondering if that P30L barrel would sit too far forward of the front of the shorter P2000 slide to be in the correct position to lock up correctly in the front of the slide.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
That is interesting.

Does the front of the barrel have any play or wiggle room on the front of the slide? I seen to remember my P30 barrel being a larger diameter towards the muzzle than in the center section of the barrel, and I'm wondering if that P30L barrel would sit too far forward of the front of the shorter P2000 slide to be in the correct position to lock up correctly in the front of the slide.
No doubt the P30L barrel will have to be chopped off to fit the slide better, but that's been discussed here. I've just looked at both P30 and P30L barrels and the barrels are the same dimension from the breech block to the muzzle. No difference. The last pic does show a little bit of play/wiggle room but that's how it looks on the P30L slide as well. There is a little play but as far as I can tell, same as factory specs.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've just looked at both P30 and P30L barrels and the barrels are the same dimension from the breech block to the muzzle. No difference.
I could have sworn that my P30 (not the "L" model) had a step on the outside of the barrel where it got closer to the muzzle. I assumed the L model was the same way.

I had the 9mm model.

I couldn't find a good pic of a non-threaded barrel, but this one clearly shows the step on the P30 barrel as it gets closer to the muzzle about a half inch past the date-code:

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/catalog/HKNGHK2417.jpg

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
These are the factory P30 and P30L barrels. As you can see, there are to steps anywhere from the breech block to muzzle.
The one you posted is a modified barrel (not factory threaded barrel).

·
Registered
311 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
That's strange.

Either H&K is making two different style barrels for the same pistols, or the steps are hard to see in those pics:

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/xW7338_SI_HecklerKoch_0642.jpg

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/P30-75k-with-bullet.jpg

Either way, if there is very little, or absolutely no play in the front of the barrel, I guess it would work.
I don't see a step in either of those pictures. I see normal wear from the function of a tilting barrel locked breech browning-style action.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't have my P30 anymore to take a picture myself, but all I can say is that I assure you that my P30 had this step.

You could see it and feel it if you rubbed your fingernail across it. I assume it was put there by H&K to make the barrel to slide fit tighter on the muzzle end, and if you look on the pics in those two links, you can see about a half inch section of the barrel from the muzzle rearward that is wearing differently than the section behind it because it is a larger diameter than the section behind it. On the second link, you can see a very thin and shiny polished ring where this step begins.

I assure you, I'm not crazy. :biggrin:

I only bring this up because if the step in the P30L barrel is sitting on the outside of the P2000 slide, this may decrease accuracy. I can't tell in the pictures if this is the case though.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
For a second, I thought you were sending us on a wild goose chase, but I went and checked nevertheless. I did run my finger nail along the barrel and you're right. There's a very, very slight step near the muzzle on P30 barrel, but upon looking at it closely, I didn't see any variance in the diameter. I'll need to take some measurements with my digital caliper and find out.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts