HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good defense loads for the P30?

In the manual it says they don't recommend +P but I would think a couple boxes of +P would be fine to make sure they function in the gun.

What's everybody's thoughts on this?

I need some good recommendations for some defense loads. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The manual refers to using a steady diet of +P which I would not recommend either. I have carried Speer Gold Dot 115gr +P+ for years on duty and love it. Our agency was involved in a shooting where that round performed flawlessly. All rounds expanded to .60 cal or wider and none exitted the body, they all lodged against the rear of the rib cage. Near instant incapacitation. The suspect did get all 5 rounds off out of his revolver as he fell to the ground but none were aimed..

Speer was the first, and still one of the few, to chemically bond the jacket to the lead core. The result is the negation of the jacket shedding during flight when encountering obstacles, especially auto glass. Once the jacket sheds from the round, penetration and projectile integrity are severly diminished.

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
64 Posts
In order of preference for the new generation state-of-the-art bullet designs:

1) Cor-Bon DPX...
2) Federal HST (either standard or bonded)...
3) Mag-Tech all copper 1st Defender...
4) Winchester Ranger T (LE restricted, but available to civilians with a bit of searching -- either the 124gr +P or 127gr +P+...

Older technology (in order of preference):

1) Speer Gold Dot (bonded)...
2) Remington Golden Saber...
3) Cor-Bon +P offerings...
4) Federal +P offerings...

All this is based on soft and hard barrier penetration. Most all quality HP's will do a good job encountering then penetrating through soft barriers (denim, cloth, etc.). The job becomes more challenging to the bullet designers to provide good penetration/expansion after piercing hard barriers (wallboard, steel plating, auto glass, etc.)...

Of the above bullet designs through soft & hard barriers with the 9mm (steel plating was 16 gauge simulating car doors) only the new all copper Barnes bullet in the Cor-Bon and MagTech had good penetration with consistent results after going through the 16 gauge steel plate (most others did fine with lighter gauge plating, but that was a bit thin for real-world testing)...

The majority of HP's in 9mm failed to penetrate the 2 layers of 16 gauge steel plating during testing. And if they did, most didn't expand at all. I think that says alot for the newer technology...

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
I also like the 115 grain Cor-Bon DPX. All the tests I have seen on it says it is a awesome round for the 9mm.

·
Registered
239 Posts
All I have read shows mid-weight loads like 124-127 grain rounds perform the best, they're heavy enough, but not too heavy they have expansion problems like some 147 grain loads. For defense +P or +P+ is better, I like the Speer Gold Dot 124 +P, that's what NYPD went with after finally being like the last agency to switch to hollowpoints, and what so many agencies use from Winchester, the tried and true 127 grain +P+ Ranger SXT. Check www.ammunitiontogo.com - they sell both loads along with a variety of others at great prices, they're my go to (online) shop for most of my ammo needs.

Post #1000

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I am a big fan of Speer Gold Dot 124+p and Winchester Rangers. The Gold Dots are the most accurate round I have fired through my P30 so far.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Defensive loads for P-30

Winchester Ranger-T 124 grain +p, Corbon 115 grain +p traditional j.h.p. , Remington Golden Saber 124 or 127 grain +p not sure which weight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts