HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the range yesterday shooting my new P30 LEM V2, which now has 465 rounds through it. I pulled the trigger and...nothing. I pulled the trigger again for a second strike, and again nothing. I then ejected the round, and all further rounds fired fine. At the end of the session, I dug through the brass on the floor and found the unfired round. It had a deep dimple from the firing pin strike, so I'm assuming this was just a defective round, but do you guys think it might be anything else? It's my home defense gun, and I want to have total confidence in it. I've never had a round not fire like that. Maybe I've just been lucky. I was shooting Winchester Ranger 124 grain FMJ.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Recommend training to practice for something like that in a pinch. 1. Get training to know how to handle it. 2. At the range w/ a friend or during a class, practice w/ dummy rds in the mag.

Such can happen any time, and it is not a problem w/ the firearm.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Recommend training to practice for something like that in a pinch. 1. Get training to know how to handle it. 2. At the range w/ a friend or during a class, practice w/ dummy rds in the mag.

Such can happen any time, and it is not a problem w/ the firearm.
Thanks. I have trained for it, and my first impulse was tap, rack, bang. On the other hand, it has never actually happened to me before, and it's a new pistol, so I decided to test the round again since the pistol has the capability of a second strike. I guess I was kind of surprised too, as this was Winchester Ranger and not some cheap, crappy ammo. Also, I was a bit concerned since Ranger T hollow points are what I have for defensive ammo.

I strongly suspect there is nothing wrong with the gun and it was just a bad round. I'm just hoping guys with much more experience than I have will confirm my opinion.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Yeah, if the primer had a good dimple then the pistol did it's job. I'd speculate bad primer as well. I would make Winchester aware of it along with the lot info from the box. A bad primer is a bad primer and not a huge deal but if they've got a bad lot going around they won't know unless those people make them aware of it. I wouldn't expect anything but they may just send you a box from another lot in exchange for the heads up. Who knows.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, if the primer had a good dimple then the pistol did it's job. I'd speculate bad primer as well. I would make Winchester aware of it along with the lot info from the box. A bad primer is a bad primer and not a huge deal but if they've got a bad lot going around they won't know unless those people make them aware of it. I wouldn't expect anything but they may just send you a box from another lot in exchange for the heads up. Who knows.
A great idea that I didn't think of, and unfortunately, I threw the box out at the range, so I couldn't give Winchester any useful info on it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was it American Eagle by chance? The only QC related ammo issue I have ever had involved AE.
No. It was Winchester 9mm NATO 124 grain standard pressure. I was pretty shocked, as I thought this was quality range ammo. I've shot 400 or so rounds of it and quite liked it. I guess anybody can make a round with a bad primer once in a great while, but the experience did make me question the Ranger T 147 grain that I have several boxes of for self defense. Obviously, a bad primer like that in a gun fight could be a very bad thing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another vote for a bad primer. FWIW, the only bad primer I've had was with Remington UMC 115 grn. It can happen with any manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Any "quality" range ammo like any ammo can be defective. Some don't go bang. Tap rack bang my friend. Dont lose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any "quality" range ammo like any ammo can be defective. Some don't go bang. Tap rack bang my friend. Dont lose any sleep over it.
I was 99% sure it was a bad primer when I asked the question. Since my experience is with 1911s and Smith and Wesson revolvers, and HK is new to me and the P30 is a new pistol that I am trusting my life to, I just wanted to make sure there was nothing I was missing. Also, in tens of thousands of rounds, including reloads that I shot for years, I've never come across a bad primer before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts