HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am very new to the site so please be gentle. I am also very new to shooting as a hobbie.

I have a slight problem, I just picked up my P30 yesterday its the first gun I ever bought. Anyway I noticed a very very small problem with the finish on the right side of the slide up by the front serartions.

Ok this is where the problem is. Dont all yell at me a once but like a MORON I thought I could fix this with a bit of blueing that you get from the store.

Well I wound up taking off more of the finish, it looks holser worn in one small area.

Ok I almost cried I will man up to that, but I need to aask you people for any ideas on what I can do? The wear mark is small but it looks like the blueing has worn a bit. Is there anyting I can get over the counter to fix this?

I was thinking that maybe I would have Robar redo the slide in NP3 but I wanted to ask all you here. Thanks for any info you can help with.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The finish that HK uses seeps into the pores of the metal. You didn't remove the finish, you just changed the appearance of the finish.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yes, U can get the stock type finish redone - but if U are gonna spend that much money - get the slide hard chromed. If U carry this in a holster - U will just develop wear all over again.

The toughest holster-wear finish is hard chrome. I have a P99c I hard chromed (the slide) 2 years ago. With daily carry - no wear at all.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help. So do I understand that if I rubbed off the blueing the pistol still has finish on it so its more cosmitic the anyting else?

Also I was look at Tripps do to do the Hard Chrome is that a good company?

Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
Lot's of HK's I've seen have this wear at the top of the slide...always in the same location. My P30 has it as well. It must be some sort of wear that happens from when the slide is held in the assembly line or storage??? It's usually very small and doesn't bother me

·
Registered
94 Posts
Everyone has an opinion so.................................. heres mine. Unless you bought it as a safe queen, don't worry about it as it's going to get a lot more worn than that anyway. When I see a weapon that looks like new I can tell......................it hasn't been shot much! A virgin is only one once. Now if you bought it to collect, well that's another story.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello all,

I was thinking that maybe I would have Robar redo the slide in NP3 but I wanted to ask all you here. Thanks for any info you can help with.
Glad everything worked out for you with the P30.
As far as refinishing your pistol, if it was me, I'd wait a while and enjoy shooting it as is. In time you'll figure out with what finish you want to go with.
NP3 is a great finish. I have one of my P7's in Robar 'NP3' and really like it. It has a slippery feel to it and has great lubricity? and great anti-rust properties. It's not quite as hard as hard chrome.
Hard chrome, as mentioned above is very hard. You can get it with a polished, satin, or matte finish (or combined). Tripps is very good. Another Hard Chromer is Fords.
Another finish to look into is 'Melonite QPQ'. Very hard, great lubricity and great anti-rust properties. This color will probably match the color of the frame the best.
Each finish is a different color so that will play in your decision also.
Remember that any imperfections in the surface of the metal will show up if not buffed or polished out first.
Enjoy your P30. I think that might be my next buy. The only thing I've heard negative about it is the trigger. I'll see if that can be worked on.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
Bummer, but I must admit I like the two tone look as well. I would be interested in seeing a two tone P30.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think HK is still using Hostile Environment type finish on P30, it appears to be sort of phosphated finish but its properties are more like bluing from my experience. The bluing top finish will be taken off by agressive acid based cold blue, so you may have taken it off. But then again, the HE also seeps into the metal pores like mentioned, so what you've done is just cosmetic. After 500rd, you probably won't even care. :)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all your input I can see myself getting additced to this site.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had an old ruger 10/22 that was all worn out. I bought some do it yourself blueing to see if I could restore the finish. It looked good at first til I started cleaning it after a shooting session. The gun solvent/ bore cleaner I used to clean my gun took the new blueing off leaving the old finish.

What I would recommend is clean the gun and see if the gun solvent will take off the blueing you added to the finish. It sure would'nt hurt. You need to clean your gun anyways before you take it out to get all the oils that the factory used before shipping.

The HK finish is tough and won't do any damage to the finish. Just make sure your using gun solvent. Good luck and Congradulation on your P30. It's a nice gun. I have 3 Hk's and love it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts