HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I recently did my own rental gun range test comparing 20 or so guns over a couple weekends...and the HK P30 9mm fit me the best as well as giving me the best groups. I have smaller fingers and the grips fit me really well, and the trigger works very well for me in DA and SA. I wasn't looking at the P30 originally, but now I might have to consider it. Purpose is for USPSA and Speed Steel competition. So, my questions are:

* Do any of you use the P30 for competition, and how does it hold up over tens of thousands of rounds?

* Does the P30 have a fully supported chamber, and is there anything else I should know about reloading for it? (besides no lead bullets since the barrel has polygonal rifling like a Glock).

* I read another thread about false reset trigger problems. Any issues I should know about when shopping for a new P30 (such as serial number ranges, etc.).

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Macsak, wow, that is a great endurance test!

Anyone else know if the chamber is fully supported or not?

Thanks.

·
HK Nut Extraordinaire
414 Posts
The HK shooting team uses P30's in competition and they are very competitive. We shoot in the production category and it's a lot of fun! Todd's endurance test is a great testimonial to the longevity of the guns.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The HK shooting team uses P30's in competition and they are very competitive. We shoot in the production category and it's a lot of fun!
I assume DA/SA P30L? Dawson FO for front sight? Do you guys shoot 147 grain loads?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I run a P30L in USPSA production division and 3 gun competition. The P30L performs just as well as any other hangun in the division. I replaced the stock sights with Dawson Precision front and rear. I prefer the sight picture of black on black so I don't run a F/O front. I did have Gray Guns do their competition trigger job and love it!

I put about 7000 rounds through it this past season. I load both MG and Rainier Ballistics 124g JHP with Titegroup. I run these loads at 135pf and the P30L runs like a dream.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Yup. 147's and 124's both work well. I really like the Dawson sights..
Thanks.
How tall is your front sight? I recently bought a 30L to compare and contrast with my old P30. Both have same Heinie sights. The P30L throws 147s 3 inches high at 12 yards; I didn't even bother to push it out to 25.

Out of curiosity, why not LEM? Lack of prior familiarity, personal preferences, too slow on follow up shots etc?

·
HK Nut Extraordinaire
414 Posts
Thanks.
How tall is your front sight? I recently bought a 30L to compare and contrast with my old P30. Both have same Heinie sights. The P30L throws 147s 3 inches high at 12 yards; I didn't even bother to push it out to 25.

Out of curiosity, why not LEM? Lack of prior familiarity, personal preferences, too slow on follow up shots etc?
I don't recall what height the front sight is - I was in a hurry and just had them throw on a front. I need to get a rear put on. If you send your slide to Dawson they will put on the correct height sights for you..

I run LEM at work, but DA/SA is a lot better for competition. I think LEM is better for duty type use because of the feedback you get by the hammer moving. It also is safer when you take your finger off the trigger. In competition I like my trigger to be as short and light as possible so I can shoot quicker.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks.

P30L LEM here for 3gun and USPSA Production (when I can actually get out to USPSA). Dawson rear with .135 notch, Dawson front .185T x .100W: POA/POI...........according to my old invoice from Dawson.
I use 124gr 95% of the time.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Does anyone use 115 gr bullets in their P30, or are there problems cycling those?
I am closing on 19000 rounds through mine, vast majority of them being 115s, and several thousand of 124s. I had one failure to feed with a 124 HST, and that's it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don't be afraid of the lead. Just clean your barrel and you're fine. I use my HK45c and shoot lead in production. I clean it after every comp. Make sure you use hard cast and do not load them too hot.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm currently shooting a stock P30L in USPSA. I just switched to the platform in March, so I have not hit the 10k round mark yet.... running with 147gr Berry's with Titegroup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I been running the P30L in USPSA since June, with 115gr factory ammo and no issue at all. I swapped out the sights for dawson FO front and the black serrated rear sights. The part#s are 020398 for the front and is .210 tall x .100 wide for the front. The rear is part# 018150 .145 notch. This is the recommended pair by dawson. Im also considering swapping in the nickel plated flat sear spring, the light FPBS, light trigger return spring recommended in another for a lighter and smoother pull

·
Registered
345 Posts
I shoot a stock P30L 9mm in IDPA. Good gun for competition. Don't be afraid of lead. I have used 147 and 124 grain lead for approx. 90% of the rounds through her. Not one hiccup or sign of pressure issues.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use my stock P30 for Action Pistol and almost exclusively shoot 115gr UMC. Looking at my log, I have just shy of 3500 rounds through it and no problems at all. I don't have a fancy P30L, because the P30 I use for competition is also my carry gun.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Anyone running a gray guns trigger job for uspsa, steel idpa, action pistol, etc? If so, is it still production/ssp?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts