HKPRO Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Its a totally subjective thing. I have a 9mm P30, and the small parts all around is perfect for me. My wife shoots a pair of .40 P30s; her hands are the same size as mine, but after a lot of experimentation, she prefers a medium back strap, large right side panel, and small left side panel. That combination feels downright bizarre to me, but she shoots the hell out of it, so who's to say???

Mine is set up the same way as your better half !

Only negative ?? The grip isn't the best for shooting left hand.

Makes me rethink my current set up Now?

Shouldn't the grip be the same in either hand? So I might remove the Large right back to small or use medium all the way around.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Shouldn't the grip be the same in either hand?
Theoretically.

But you know the difference between theory, and reality... right?

I make my bride do some off hand/one hand work, and that bizarre combo doesn't seem to negatively affect her ability to shoot the pistol accurately with her off (left) hand. But said work is all up close; if she had to take a distance shot with her off hand only... dunno.

Again, its all relative. The only way you'll know is to do some vigorous left hand only drills.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Large L/R with a medium backstrap.

This combination allows me the greatest leverage to keep a high tight grip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Small backstrap, large left panel, medium right panel. I'm a lefty with medium sized hands. For me, it was all about what combo naturally put the pad of my trigger finger centered on the trigger.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I can use medium all around or small back and large sides and be happy. If it were for range only I'd use medium rear and large sides which is how my P30L is configured.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've set mine up with medium side plates and backstrap. I have medium size hands (size 9 in gloves) and tried medium sides with large backstrap but found this changed the way the sights lined up when presenting from the holster and during one handed and weak handed manipulations compromised my dexterity. I switched back to the medium backstrap and found it works more consistently with all my drills. Even when I don't get the perfect grip, it still works reasonably well. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Using, and reconfirming with the selection technique mentioned early in the thread, I empirically determined (through the initial set up "test" and a high intensity LEO class) that the Small backstrap, Small right panel, and Large left panel work best for me. The Small backstrap provides a very natural and fast sight alignment, and the side panels both position my trigger finger and aid in laterally positioning and "steering" the gun. I use an identical backstrap/grip panel setup for my VP40.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've set mine up with medium side plates and backstrap. I have medium size hands (size 9 in gloves) and tried medium sides with large backstrap but found this changed the way the sights lined up when presenting from the holster and during one handed and weak handed manipulations compromised my dexterity. I switched back to the medium backstrap and found it works more consistently with all my drills. Even when I don't get the perfect grip, it still works reasonably well. Hope this helps.
I am a size 9 in glove as well and I can work well with smaller guns. I cannot wait to get my hands on a P30 so I can customize the grip. I am getting tired of the blocky Glocks that are just too big.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Alright I dialed in my grip panels to Left side SMALL, Right side MEDIUM, and back strap SMALL. I tried every combo with the medium and smalls and this seems to be the best grip. So much better than my Glocks I almost feel like I lost the last 10 years of my life

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have shorter fingers, so I run the small backstrap; it doesn't have a direct relationship with a shorter trigger reach, but it does have an indirect one. When I rotate my lower wrist backwards because of the backstrap that drives my trigger finger down; that has a couple of negative effects. First, my finger gets closer to the trench and feeling the edge. Second, with the rotated wrist I'm no longer pulling as directly rearwards as a would be with a smaller backstrap. The subjective result is that I can no longer get as solid a hold on the trigger as I can with with the smaller one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I started out with what felt the best while dry firing at home. That was the medium back strap with the small side panels. After running around 250 rounds downrange, I found myself hunting for the correct sight picture.
I went back to thinking about what I was finding and changed to the large back strap with the medium side panels; went to work with firing another ~225 rounds in order to find out these are what my hands and eyes need to coincide with each other perfectly.

Sometimes what feels great in the hand changes under the pressures of live fire.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm running the small backstrap and medium side panels on my P30L. Two considerations: 1) Reaching the trigger effectively for the DA shot (I have a V3 no safety) and 2) Getting a full and solid grip with my support hand for good recoil control for fast splits. With the small side panels I couldn't get enough "meat" of my support palm against the grip to effectively control the recoil. With the large side panels, I notice no improvement in that respect over medium, so I've stuck with medium. It's great they HK provides the options to configure and optimize the grip for an individual shooter, if you have one you should certainly take advantage of it, particularly if you like to shoot fast. If you are a one shot bullseye shooter it probably doesn't matter at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is one thing I would change if I could.....different finger grooves up front. They still don't quite fit correctly for me.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts