HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched but haven't found this anything on this topic...

I have a couple P30's however the HK45C carries better due to the shorter grip length. I was curious if anyone has attempted to shorten the grip length on a P30 to accept P2000sk mags. Since most state that the P2000sk is the P30sk so to speak anyway; I thought since the P30 mags fit into the P2000sk I'd assume only length would require shortening. However I am not familiar with the internals and if there is a simple reason nobody is doing this already.

Can you help me to understand if this is doable and secondly why it wouldn't work if not doable? I appreciate your feedback.

In short I'm trying to resist buying a P2000sk since I enjoy the P30 platform so much (even though I shoot the HK45C best of all my pistols including the HK45 and 1911's).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Why resist?

A P30SK is rumored to be in development.

I wouldn't modify a P30 like that, there is no point. It's a waste of a P30 and you're going to risk reliability issues. The grip inserts, hammer strut and spring, all of that will be a mess at best, no matter who modifies it. If HK modded it, they would just build a new gun, which looks like they're doing by the rumors.

The P30, P2000, P2000SK are all the same gun with different ergos on the outside. All you would gain with doing that to a P30 would be a horribly front heavy P2000 with front serrations.

Really not worth the effort, time or costs even if you had every tool needed to do it correct. You'd loose the HK reliability.

If you want a 9mm/.40 that carries like your HK45c, take a look at the P2000.

A while back I remember someone modified a SK to have the same stippling as a P30, that's do-able. But cutting away the frame, especially on a P30? Nope.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
God no! I think you'd be asking for trouble since the mainspring runs through the backstrap (unless I'm mistaken).

·
Registered
98 Posts
I LOVE my P30S 9mm, but it's a full-size (in a manner of speaking) pistol---if I want to carry an HK, I carry my P2000 9mm---if I wanted an even smaller HK to carry, I'd get a P2000sk. So don't ruin a reallly nice P30---just get the smaller HK that you want...

·
Registered
485 Posts
I carry My P30 40 everyday with no problems. I just can't imagine messing up the grip on a P30 which has one of the best grips in the business.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Spend some money and get a great holster. Lots of people carry guns even bigger than the p30, with a good holster it can tuck the butt of the gun in and vanish. I think you would regret without trying a better holster first. What are you using now?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Also, try putting more cant on your holster, a little bit more makes a larger gun disappear a lot easier. I carry a full size USP, and those are way bigger than the P30s. All about where you have it and at what angle, as well as what works with your build. (I carry at 2-3 o clock, standard cant, when it's more 3 o clock I use more cant. I found 4 o clock printed horribly for me, and it doesn't feel nearly as secure)

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Just to play the Devil's Advocate, a lot of Glock users will reduce the grip length on a G17 or G22 to allow G19 or G23 mags. This way you can keep the nifty sight radius, while having a slightly more concealable gun. I don't have a P30, so I can't really weigh in here, but I could see the advantage in taking a P30 (or even P30L) and reducing the grip to take P2000/USPc mags. It should be possible, but you would need to replace the hammer spring and strut with the appropriate P2000/USPc parts. Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Glock users cut down their grips but the mainspring doesn't run down the back strap of a Glock iirc.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've searched but haven't found this anything on this topic...

I have a couple P30's however the HK45C carries better due to the shorter grip length. I was curious if anyone has attempted to shorten the grip length on a P30 to accept P2000sk mags. Since most state that the P2000sk is the P30sk so to speak anyway; I thought since the P30 mags fit into the P2000sk I'd assume only length would require shortening. However I am not familiar with the internals and if there is a simple reason nobody is doing this already.

Can you help me to understand if this is doable and secondly why it wouldn't work if not doable? I appreciate your feedback.

In short I'm trying to resist buying a P2000sk since I enjoy the P30 platform so much (even though I shoot the HK45C best of all my pistols including the HK45 and 1911's).

I Pack a Gen 1 Sig P229 40cal at 3:00 using a very low ride straight drop IWB by BladeTech ( discontinued)
I find it hides perfectly under a T shirt
P229 Height = 5.4

I bought a P30S awhile back and use the newer NANO IWB by BladeTech at 3:00

P30S Height =5.43 Just enough for it to print.

I thought about getting the grip cut down. But gave up the idea, since the grip fits my hand so nice and all.
I will just buy a larger shirt.

I also thought going P2000sk but I bet recoil would be worse.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Have saws-all, will travel.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I Pack a Gen 1 Sig P229 40cal at 3:00 using a very low ride straight drop IWB by BladeTech ( discontinued)
I find it hides perfectly under a T shirt
P229 Height = 5.4

I bought a P30S awhile back and use the newer NANO IWB by BladeTech at 3:00

P30S Height =5.43 Just enough for it to print.

I thought about getting the grip cut down. But gave up the idea, since the grip fits my hand so nice and all.
I will just buy a larger shirt.

I also thought going P2000sk but I bet recoil would be worse.
So are you saying the P229 doesn't print, but the P30 does? I'm confused.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Stop looking for crap to do to your guns. Invest in finding the right carry system for your need, dedication of carry, motivation or lack thereof. If all that fails, look for a new pistol and start the process all over.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
Stop looking for crap to do to your guns. Invest in finding the right carry system for your need, dedication of carry, motivation or lack thereof. If all that fails, look for a new pistol and start the process all over.
This + What I said= BOOM! (AKA, questions answered)

Also, I am going to try to say this delicately. Cutting your guns up, is F*cking retarded. It reduces their structural integrity, reduces your contact on the grip, decreases the contact/seat of your magazine, and permanently ruins the gun for life. Stipple sure, Grip tape sure, changing to funny ass sights sure. Cutting your gun equals Full RETARD. Take the money that you bought your gun for, and burn it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're the guy that had serrations machined into the slide on his P30 right? A bit hypocritical don't you think? See, even navyman agrees:

navyman8903 said:
Also, I am going to try to say this delicately. Cutting your guns up, is F*cking retarded. It reduces their structural integrity, reduces your contact on the grip, decreases the contact/seat of your magazine, and permanently ruins the gun for life. Stipple sure, Grip tape sure, changing to funny ass sights sure. Cutting your gun equals Full RETARD. Take the money that you bought your gun for, and burn it.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're the guy that had serrations machined into the slide on his P30 right? A bit hypocritical don't you think? See, even navyman agrees:
I was speaking to the frame, while I don't personally think I need to modify my slide, taking material off the slide, is replaceable.....with a new slide. The frame is very important to the correct operation of your hand gun, so.....Cutting your frame up, is full retard.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I didn't look for it, it was my only option I found viable.

Cutting Serrations into slides have been around a very long time. This was a permanent solution for a defect I had with my shooting that training couldn't fix. I didn't go looking for things to do, it was "my" only viable recourse if I wanted to keep running my P30L. I don't screw with grip tape because for as much shooting as I do, I can't keep up with replacing it and the serrations are much better than griptape.

Between the serrations & the rear sight I can now without fail rack the slide effectively every time. Something I was having issues with even in basic Gunfighting classes. Stock side serrations are more for looks than for effectiveness and if you sweat a lot or you're bloody, you'll wish you had more grip on the gun.

The Serrations do not effect the reliability or the service life. Cutting up a frame and modifying the hammer spring retainer sure as heck would.

I've been disorientated and bloody while trying to shoot my 240b and then my M16 so I know how important it is to keep a grip.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.