HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a P30 for 3 years now, and have tried the large backstrap a couple time. Today, I decided to change my grips up and put the L on. Unfortunately, it's causing ejected magazines, both full and empty, to stick in the magwell after about a quarter inch of travel. The bottom of the grip doesn't seem to be coming into contact with the magazine at all. Why won't the mags drop free?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I've had a P30 for 3 years now, and have tried the large backstrap a couple time. Today, I decided to change my grips up and put the L on. Unfortunately, it's causing ejected magazines, both full and empty, to stick in the magwell after about a quarter inch of travel. The bottom of the grip doesn't seem to be coming into contact with the magazine at all. Why won't the mags drop free?
Do you have safety lockout device in P30? Did someone tried to rack slide with device locked?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Do you have safety lockout device in P30? Did someone tried to rack slide with device locked?
Good question. My first thought was a bent Hammer Strut and just happens to coincide with you switching the backstraps.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I agree with others. The lockout device is housed in the backstrap on the P30, and the one you switched to was probably in the "on" position before you installed it.

Was the slide difficult to rack after you installed it, and if so, did you force the slide open?

If this is the case, you probably bent the hammer strut. The bent hammer strut is now rubbing on the magazine not allowing it to drop free.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with others. The lockout device is housed in the backstrap on the P30, and the one you switched to was probably in the "on" position before you installed it.

Was the slide difficult to rack after you installed it, and if so, did you force the slide open?

If this is the case, you probably bent the hammer strut. The bent hammer strut is now rubbing on the magazine not allowing it to drop free.
The changeable back straps on the p30 do not contain the lockout device.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
The changeable back straps on the p30 do not contain the lockout device.
Interesting. Like the P2000, I could have sworn that they did.

I could be mistaken though.

ETA- mag, you are correct. I just checked on HKparts.net and on the P30 they do not contain the lock. Never noticed that before.

Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Interesting. Like the P2000, I could have sworn that they did.

I could be mistaken though.

ETA- mag, you are correct. I just checked on HKparts.net and on the P30 they do not contain the lock. Never noticed that before.

Sorry for the confusion.
Ha, I never realized that the p2000 back straps did.

Either way I think everyone can agree that it is most likely a bent hammer strut from someone racking the slide while it was locked.

It's strange how after 3 years it just started showing signs of it. Unless Junkball just did this himself, which would be unfortunate. Or maybe when he changed the back strap, the strut and spring shifted in just the right way that it started to make contact with the magazine.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, what is a safety lockout device? Which HKs have them?
All of them that are sold in the U.S. Older models (pre-Clinton era) did not have the lockout device.
It's a little key that when inserted into a hole in the mag well and turned clockwise will not let you rack the slide or cock the hammer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What?

I don't understand what the problem is, please post a picture.
I don't know how a picture would help. I eject the magazine. It will only come out 1/4" before some sort of friction stops it from free falling from the mag well. The pistol does not exhibit this behavior with the small or medium backstraps, or without one entirely.

Yes, there's a safety lockout, but I can't remember having ever turned it on.

Ha, I never realized that the p2000 back straps did.

Either way I think everyone can agree that it is most likely a bent hammer strut from someone racking the slide while it was locked.

It's strange how after 3 years it just started showing signs of it. Unless Junkball just did this himself, which would be unfortunate. Or maybe when he changed the back strap, the strut and spring shifted in just the right way that it started to make contact with the magazine.
It's entirely possible I may have tried to rack the slide with the lockout engaged. I don't recall ever trying this, however. I did buy it used, so there's that... Additionally, I field stripped the pistol and can't find any point where the spring or strut are intruding into the magwell. It's almost as if the large backstrap is placing pressure on the entire magazine well. The friction starts just below the magazine catch.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
My thought is that the panels or back strap are compressing the grip, and not allowing the mag to drop free.

I would do two things:

1. Install the configuration that worked in the first place, and make sure that it remains trouble free.

2. Try and isolate the friction point with the configuration that is bringing you issues, and see if you can sand the panels/contact point on the backstrap down a hair to relive the tension.

If this does not work, then a call to HK CS would be in order for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If you look up inside the grip with the mag removed, is the hammer spring protuding into the magwell area at all? You should be able to see the spring through a lil "groove" but it should not protrude into the magwell area. Maybe thats grabbin your mag?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My thought is that the panels or back strap are compressing the grip, and not allowing the mag to drop free.

I would do two things:

1. Install the configuration that worked in the first place, and make sure that it remains trouble free.

2. Try and isolate the friction point with the configuration that is bringing you issues, and see if you can sand the panels/contact point on the backstrap down a hair to relive the tension.

If this does not work, then a call to HK CS would be in order for me. Good luck.
Thanks, Apollo. Good suggestions. It seems to me the large backstrap is grabbing the backstrap on the frame too tightly, causing the polymer mag well to deform, thus binding the magazine. That makes some semblance of sense to me, as the L backstrap panel is the hardest for me to install, whereas the medium and small grips easily slide on. Perhaps the L backstrap is out of spec?

If you look up inside the grip with the mag removed, is the hammer spring protuding into the magwell area at all? You should be able to see the spring through a lil "groove" but it should not protrude into the magwell area. Maybe thats grabbin your mag?
I looked for this as well, and felt down into the area with my finger while variously pulling the trigger (compressing the spring) and working the magazine release lever, but it is clearly not intruding into the magazine well. Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
To add to my previous post, the large backstrap could also be pushing the grip panels into their respective slots too much, causing compression in the grip. Good luck and post when you get resolution.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I have all large panels and back on mine and it works just fine

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have never read about this happening before. Maybe call HK and see what they say. At the least I would hope you get a new backstrap from them. But after reading that thread on Pistol Training, it does not seem like that would help much.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts