HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got a P30S in 9mm and while I was disassembling I noticed two things. First, that the slide release does not come out of the frame like in my HK45 and USP40c, which is a featur I actually like and wonder why the same wasn't done with the HK45. The second thing and the main reason I am posting this is why does the P30 have a red recoil spring. I have read that is was to differentiate between other calibers. Really? Are they that easy to confuse? I can't manage to confuse my three different caliber recoil springs. Anyways, thank you for you responses in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know for sure about the recoil spring paint reason but, if it is just to differentiate between different calibers/guns I don't think it was done so much for the consumer but rather for the people that reach into bins all day long and assemble guns. Just a theory probably way off base.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I think the spring color denotes the weight and the gun it is destined for, as was stated above. As for the captive slide release, I personally don't care if it comes out or it remains in the gun. I don't really see it as a feature or a detractor on the pistol, just kind of the way it is.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Personally i like the slide release not coming all the way out because it minimizes chances of loosing it lol... Sounds silly but i am sure someone has lost one and has called HK ordering a new one. Less parts to take off and loose.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
If you look closely at the trigger rebound spring in the P30/P30L frame (after removing the slide), you'll see that one of the TRS legs is resting in a groove on the slide release lever. You cannot technically remove the slide release lever without lifting up this leg. Forcing it out will damage the TRS and require a replacement of the TRS. A member on this forum did just that and had to buy a new TRS. That is why HK manual says not to push it past the Red mark.

As for the purpose of why it is that way, I don't really know. :wink:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I guess the color and parts bin thing makes sense. As for the slide release, I guess I just like the Ida that it remains in the frame, thusly preventing loss. Realistically, I see no reason why it needs to come out all the way on other models anyway. My .02 cents.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thanks for the input. I guess the color and parts bin thing makes sense. As for the slide release, I guess I just like the Ida that it remains in the frame, thusly preventing loss. Realistically, I see no reason why it needs to come out all the way on other models anyway. My .02 cents.
Agree.

·
Registered
818 Posts
If you look closely at the trigger rebound spring in the P30/P30L frame (after removing the slide), you'll see that one of the TRS legs is resting in a groove on the slide release lever. You cannot technically remove the slide release lever without lifting up this leg. Forcing it out will damage the TRS and require a replacement of the TRS. A member on this forum did just that and had to buy a new TRS. That is why HK manual says not to push it past the Red mark.

As for the purpose of why it is that way, I don't really know. :wink:
This IS the proper way to totally remove the slide release lever. You don't need to be replacing the TRS, no fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts