HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I got my first firearm (a USP .45 V1) about a year ago, and have caught the fever. Bought my p30 LEM 9mm (V3 I think) 6 months ago for CCW. Love the feel of that gun. My problem is my grouping. With my USP, I can usually get a 4-5 in group at 7 yards. While with the p30, it's at least twice the spread. For some odd reason, I can't get the LEM trigger figured out. I do dry-fire practices with it, and it seems as if there was a round in the chamber that it would have hit the target. Just curious if anyone else had this issue, and if there are any tips you could offer me. I'm thinking about getting one of those lasers that go into the barrel and are activated by the firing pin.

I love the feel of the p30, but if I can't get this trigger figured out, then I may be trading it in. Any help would be appreciated.

Jace

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Couple of things for you:

The V3 in the P30 is the DA/SA with a decocker on the rear of the frame, so if you have the LEM you don't have a V3. Are you shooting from the reset (meaning are you pulling the trigger, gun going bang while holding the trigger to the rear, and then releasing the trigger out only as far as it needs to reset and then repeating)? Do you shoot the USP from the SA position mainly? Have you tried the ball and dummy drill?

Also, have you had any professional training? I ask mainly because the 9 should be easier to drive than the 45; and your groups with the 45 are (no offense, honestly), marginal at that distance when not shooting fast.

Before trading out, I would see if you could get better by doing some good drills. See pistol-training.com. Also, seek out a good trainer and get them to look at what you are doing and correct it.

Good luck, and I hope you are able to find some good answers. You have some quality tools, just need to get some honest evaluation.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the LEM, so I was wrong on the varient. I am aware that my shooting skills aren't very good yet, and have thought about getting some professional training. I'll usually shoot about half and half with the reset; half releasing the trigger just enough to reset it, and half returning the trigger to the starting position. I also mainly shoot the USP SA.

I have heard of the ball and dummy round. Going to have to try that my next go-round at the range. Thanks for the advice

Jace

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I am making a guess, obviously, without seeing you shoot that you are having issues in the long first stroke of the LEM pull. If you are shooting the USP from the SA position, you are less likely to come off target on the shorter trigger stroke. Consistency is the name of the game when it comes to training and getting better, the inconsistent approach the the trigger after the shot could be adding the the issues. Ball and dummy is excellent for exposing what you are doing in that last bit right before the shot is fired. It is great to have a buddy load your mags, and to record your shooting so you can absolutely see what is happening after the range session is over. Also, I would suggest adding some training with a 22LR pistol to reinforce the good habits. Another guess would be that you have a flinch, perhaps from starting your shooting with a 45.

Training is so important as well so you can stop the bad habits, and build on a quality foundation. As with most things, seek out the best trainer that you can afford; it will pay dividends for years to come. Hopefully you did not take offense to my post, I was not trying to call you out.

·
Registered
18,642 Posts
May I suggest dry firing with a coin on the front of the slide, or if you feel a little high-tech, get something like the Laserlyte Trainer Cartridge as you mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I agree that this sounds more like a training issue and not an equipment (P30) issue. The reason you shoot the USP better it is a bit more "forgiving" to shoot and doesn't highlight the fundamental problems that you are having like the P30 does. Don't get discouraged on the P30 or shooting in general. You sound like a newer shooter which is fine. Even the greatest shooters were new shooters at some point. I would echo those that encouraged you to get some training. The sooner the better. The longer you practice the bad habits that you may have the longer it will take to unlearn them and get on the right path. Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts