HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in ohio and am thinking about buying a p30 to celebrate.... well justing buying it for the hell of it actually but there is a good chance I might be in california in a couple months. Is this something I'm going to have to get rid of because of the hi-cap rule?

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can bring it in, just not the normal capacity mags. Only 10 rounders allowed. Also no pistols with threaded barrels. You might want to buy a couple of P30's and when you don't want them you can sell them in CA for some nice $$$$.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Only 10 rounders allowed. Also no pistols with threaded barrels. You might want to buy a couple of P30's and when you don't want them you can sell them in CA for some nice $$$$.
+1 and bring a couple HK45s as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was already thinking about the HK45 so that might be nice but the problem is that from what I read there aren't any options for 10 magazines in the P30. The P2000 and USPCompact magazines are said to be too small to fit. My searching didn't seem to find an answer. I like shooting 9mm better for some reason (cost and familiarity) so hopefully someone knows of an aftermarket or option for a 10 rd p30 mag... or one becomes available when I get out there.

·
Registered
648 Posts
MLSECPRO at one point was selling P30's with 10 Round mags. I don't see the thread about it anymore, but it still might be worth giving them a call to see if they have any left, or can put one together for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's interesting. You can bring it in even though it's not on the roster?
From reading excerpt of the law copied on hkpro and the general feedback it seems like you can bring in any legal weapon as long as it adheres to the non-threaded barrel and hi-cap rule if you purchased the gun as a resident of a legal state.

I'll have to check the milspec for 10 rd mags. seems like going backwards but...

·
Registered
510 Posts
There are a lot of guns that are not on the California DOJ approved list but which, if you already own them, you can bring with you and register here. Generally, 10 round limit, no threaded barrel and no full auto.
If in time you were to decide that you wanted to sell them you can in Calif. and usually for a premium compared to everywhere else. Good examples would be HK4, most of the P7 series, either of the new ones p30 and HK45. To sell them to another California you have to do what we call a Private Party Transfer where both the seller and the buyer must be face to face at the FFL dealer. Private Party Transfers may be used for the "irregular and infrequent" transfer of handguns and that is defined as 5 or less per year. So, if you want to enjoy that HK45 or another HK handgun that's not on the list, you will be able to keep it and bring it with you. If you decide later that you don't want it anymore, you will not be stuck with it, you can sell it any time you want.
Here is the link to the Calif. DOJ site.
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are a lot of guns that are not on the California DOJ approved list but which, if you already own them, you can bring with you and register here. Generally, 10 round limit, no threaded barrel and no full auto.
If in time you were to decide that you wanted to sell them you can in Calif. and usually for a premium compared to everywhere else. Good examples would be HK4, most of the P7 series, either of the new ones p30 and HK45. To sell them to another California you have to do what we call a Private Party Transfer where both the seller and the buyer must be face to face at the FFL dealer. Private Party Transfers may be used for the "irregular and infrequent" transfer of handguns and that is defined as 5 or less per year. So, if you want to enjoy that HK45 or another HK handgun that's not on the list, you will be able to keep it and bring it with you. If you decide later that you don't want it anymore, you will not be stuck with it, you can sell it any time you want.
Here is the link to the Calif. DOJ site.
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/
Thanks for the info. Would I have trouble registering the P30 with 15 rd mags? Do they check for that stuff or is it simply filling out a form and handing it in.

·
Registered
510 Posts
the 15 round is illegal in California. So, you could register the gun but would have to get rid of the 15 round mags. I'm sure you will have no trouble selling the 15's since they are still in somewhat short supply right now.
You can get the form online and fill it in and send it in with your fee.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
crap... I can't find anything online about the existence of 10 round P30 magazines. Only 15 rds mags are manufactured and nothing else fits. If they don't exist how the heck am I supposed to follow the hi-cap rule? Should I just get a p2000? I like the p30 better but this is annoying.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As a native Californian, my best advice is "Don't come here." Beside the gun thing, property is too expensive and pretty much everything is falling apart. Now that I'm retired, we're trying to decide where to move to.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Headed to Foothill Ranch. Where are the good ranges?
If that is in Orange County you have a few indoor ranges nearby (Insight in Artesia, Firing Line in Huntington Beach, and On-Target in Laguna Niguel which is probably the closest. There are a few outdoor ranges but are a little further away.

Check this site out for more fun than paper targets. Slightly further than the indoor ranges but more fun.

http://www.ssashooter.net/

Are you planning on becoming a resident? If you are, you will need to register your handguns using the new CA resident form or something to that effect. You'll also need to pay $19 per gun I believe. Rifles don't need to be registered but you cannot bring in assault weapons. +10 round magazines are a no-no unless they were in CA prior to the ban and you moved away but are now coming back.

If you plan on becoming a resident, care to pick up an extra Hk45?

·
Registered
47 Posts
One thing about hi-cap magazines. If they are rare and are to find (not talking about new magazines made after the 2000 ban), you can disassemble them and bring them into CA to sell as replacement parts to other gun owners who owned the same magazine before the ban. There are plenty of CA gun owners who purchased MP5s, UMPs, and other goodies before they were ban and registered them as assault weapons. I wasn't old enough to buy guns yet and I have hi-cap magazines for various firearms when they were still sold here.

One thing I hate is how people are misinformed (some California LEOs and gunshop workers) about the ownership of hi-cap magazines. If they are owned before the ban in CA, you can keep them and continue to use them even in a new gun that uses the same magazine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so what's stopping this guy from buying as many hk45's and p30's that he can get his hands on, register them all when he moves here (selling the 15-rd mags off before he comes), and then making 100%+ profit on each gun?

·
Registered
56 Posts
i think you can only bring them in for personal use. buying a whole bunch to sell would be a no no. you could bring them in and say that you needed to sell them to fund your move, but selling a whole bunch of the same firearm would seem suspicious to me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts