HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying it out for a few days now. As you can see, the concealment is decent. The wear is comfortable and the gun is light enough. The holster is a Bianchi Triad size 13/14.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Isn't that a little too heavy?

I carry a J-frame on my ankle from time to time in a Desantes Die Hard holster and even this "Airweight" can become annoying after extended wear. I imagine the P30 with 15 rnds. of 9mm in it is more than a bit heavier than this. I only carry it as a BUG and prefer the main weapon on my hip, it's only for if my main gun goes down (not likely with HK) or I run empty. Sometimes I think it's better to just carry a spare mag for the main gun. However, it does conceal well and I do like it's position when seated in a car, seems very easy to reach for those would-be carjackers. ;)

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I imagine the polymer frame makes it more viable then say a SIG on the ankle. :)

But it still seems too big and bulky to be a real ankle piece. Just my opnion though. I am really just relating it to how my J-frame feels on the ankle, which is annoying at times even in a very high quality holster.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That does seem a bit bulky for ankle carry, but it does seem concealed.

I would have thought a J-Frame comfortable, and a G-26/27 the upper limit.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
The J-frame is comfortable for the most part. But after more than an 8 hour work day I am ready to take the thing off my ankle. :)

I have considered buying the same Desantes holster for my G26, but this seems to be even more overkill when factoring in that I don't ankle carry exclusively and only as a BUG. The J-frame is suitable for this, but is still heavier/bulkeir than a spare mag. ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Time to buy a micro-compact man, that stands out, and honestly looks terribly uncomfortable.

·
Banned
384 Posts
I ankle carry my MK23. Only drawback Ive noted, I seem to walk with quite a bit of oversteer.

:p

·
Registered
558 Posts
That works. I've carried the following not so small guns on the ankle:

Sig P228
Sig P245
Glock 19

A partner carried his USP40C.

You definitely have to have the appropriate pant leg to conceal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Man you must really work out or have really buff legs. Having that much weight on one leg would cause you to walk lop sided and have hip problems down the road. Unless you balance it out with another P30 on the other leg hehe.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm a cyclist, my legs are the strongest part of my body. :D

Ankle carry obviously has its drawbacks, but it is supreme in the concealment department. Jeans can be worn at any time of the year, even in the summer, and people just don't think even if they see a bulge by your feet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have VERY thick calves and tried an ankle holster for my p2000sk. No way.

I guess if there's no way you can carry IWB.

Have you practiced getting to it? There just seemed to be a lot of situations where getting to the ankle would cause one to waste too much time before the BG got to the good guy.

Do you think you will get a full "A" license to carry? MA is hit and miss as far as cities that give out the full A license unrestricted.

I hope it works out for you if there's no way you can carry IWB! Good luck on the A license.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't get me wrong here ... I'm not proposing this as a primary concealed carry method ... just trying it out to see if it's possible. I have a M&P40c, P232, P2000sk and Glock 33/27 that I can use for concealed carry.

With the right jeans, I think the P30 on the ankle is fine.

As for the weight ... with 10 rounds, it's not bad at all.

Getting to it is also fine. The jeans I wear are Levi 569 which have a HUGE bottom. The Triad holster comes unsnapped if you quickly raise your pant leg in just the right way.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do you think you will get a full "A" license to carry? MA is hit and miss as far as cities that give out the full A license unrestricted.

I hope it works out for you if there's no way you can carry IWB! Good luck on the A license.
I wouldn't ever use it as a primary method. Just something if IWB wasn't an option for whatever reason. The best method is the one knee draw that I've done.

But as far as MA goes, it all depends on the chief in town. I'm an instructor and have good relations with my local chief, my town is pretty easy. They won't restrict unless you have any real criminal record. I'm close enough to Boston that some towns are difficult, and some are easy.

The real problem places are Boston and it's direct suburbs. I live in a suburb city and it's no big.

I also have a lot of contacts as I'm very involved in the instruction part and with Mass's "NRA" type organization called GOAL. I also already have my FID with no problems. I'm not worried about it at all.

I hate to boast about friends in high places, but if it comes down to that I have a lot of numbers I can dial...Besides, that's pretty much how this state is run.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts