HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By this time next week, I should have in my hands a P30 with V2 LEM in 9mm. Since I haven't owned a gun since 1989, I'm hoping you guys can help me out with some basic questions. What tools do you recommend for working on a P30? What type punch do I need to remove the grip panels? What tools would I need to take it apart and change the springs for different LEM versions? Since I have never owned a polymer framed gun and since I'm sure there are new and improved products since I last cleaned, lubed, and maintained a handgun, what products do you recommend for that? Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
65 Posts
For the grip panels, a 3/32" roll pin punch is the size that you need. For the LEM springs, a 1/16" punch for the TRS, and a 3/32" punch (or even a pen cap) will work for the hammer spring. Other than that, just a nice hammer, needle nose pliers is all that I've needed to date. Any polymer safe gun scrubber, a bore snake, and a toothbrush will work to clean it. For lube, I just started using M-Pro 7 which I like. Its a synthetic, and is environmentally friendly. Doesn't weep and make a mess everywhere, and doesn't appear to be contributing to excess dirtiness. I'm sure others will chime in with what they use, which I'm interested in hearing myself. I would avoid Remington Gun Oil, or Hoppes. I makes a mess, weeps everyhwere, stinks, and collects dirt/unburned powder. I also am on the fence with the new Teflon Dry Lubes. I think they work well, but its easy to over lube with them, and the white residue gets everywhere which looks terrible on a black gun.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
For the grip panels, a 3/32" roll pin punch is the size that you need. For the LEM springs, a 1/16" punch for the TRS, and a 3/32" punch (or even a pen cap) will work for the hammer spring. Other than that, just a nice hammer, needle nose pliers is all that I've needed to date.
+1 It's possible to do everything with the 2 punches listed. Small skinny needle nose pliers help with the TRS change tremendously. I've never used a hammer for anything on an HK pistol except installing sights.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the grip panels, a 3/32" roll pin punch is the size that you need. For the LEM springs, a 1/16" punch for the TRS, and a 3/32" punch (or even a pen cap) will work for the hammer spring. Other than that, just a nice hammer, needle nose pliers is all that I've needed to date. Any polymer safe gun scrubber, a bore snake, and a toothbrush will work to clean it. For lube, I just started using M-Pro 7 which I like. Its a synthetic, and is environmentally friendly. Doesn't weep and make a mess everywhere, and doesn't appear to be contributing to excess dirtiness. I'm sure others will chime in with what they use, which I'm interested in hearing myself. I would avoid Remington Gun Oil, or Hoppes. I makes a mess, weeps everyhwere, stinks, and collects dirt/unburned powder. I also am on the fence with the new Teflon Dry Lubes. I think they work well, but its easy to over lube with them, and the white residue gets everywhere which looks terrible on a black gun.
Great! Thanks. That helps a lot. Hoppes and Break Free is what I vaguely remember from years ago. I knew there had to be something better by now.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1 It's possible to do everything with the 2 punches listed. Small skinny needle nose pliers help with the TRS change tremendously. I've never used a hammer for anything on an HK pistol except installing sights.
Thanks again, Brownie. So, you can install sights on an HK. Hmm...you may just end up being my new best friend. :wink:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've seen that and considered it. What is it that you like better about Frog Lube?
what i like about it is its simplicity. it's a degreaser and lube all in one. somehow it just eats up the carbon and gives it a really slick action. i can tell the difference when i use it on my AR15 so i naturally just use it for my pistols too now.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, guys. You've been extremely helpful. I think I've got everything I need ordered now.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you want to change it to V1 LEM, you'll need these 2 light springs:
Elbow spring TRS (234389)
Light FPBS (209296)
Thanks for the links. I guess I should have said I have everything I need for cleaning and tools ordered. I still need those springs and, of course, ammo!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Make sure you get a roll-pin punch as it won't flatten the pin head.
This roll-pin punch set is what I got.
What I love about this set:
2/32 = 1/16
6/32 = 3/16

Guess it's easier to just list them all as x/32. I've had a 4 piece set I've had for years. Recently picked up another one, but can't recall where. I like the roll-pin set from MidWay though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts