HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my hands on a P30 the other day. I can't believe the way the gun feels in my hand? I thought the HK45 was incredible!

I've decided to go back to a high cap 9mm for EDC. The Glock 19 is appealing b/c it's cheap and easily replaceable, if something happens to it I won't care, and I still have a bunch of mags for it.

I'd like the P30 but it's twice as much, mags are a lot more and if something happened to it I'd be really pissed. I'm starting to think that an EDC should be inexpensive b/c you never know where it will wind up (ie. if you have to use it for defense you may never get it back).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I agree, Thats why I thought about buying another P30. ( If it was used in defense)

·
Registered
143 Posts
If I have to use my gun in self defense I figure it's paid for itself. I want the best tool for that job and for me it's my HKs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If I have to use my gun in self defense I figure it's paid for itself. I want the best tool for that job and for me it's my HKs.
+1

The Glocks are great guns, and if you like the way it shoots better, than carry it. But don't make the decision based on the cost of the gun (within reason). After all, it is your life, you only get one chance.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love the Glock 19. Easy to carry and I shoot it well. The P30 is about the same size except for the longer grip, feels great and I'm sure as sweet a shooter as the HK45. I would feel confident carrying either.

I guess as of now it would be more cost effective to go with the Glock. I'd love to buy the P30 but I should save my cash for the HK45C.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You know I really try not to give advice on these forums, because really...its worth what you pay for it. But, I truly believe that if you have to use your gun in self defense or if you scuff it up while retaining it in a confrontation, its cost will be the last thing on your mind. If you have to use it, like another poster said, it has paid for itself, and if you stuff it up, those scuffs will double the guns value in your mind because of what you learned, the fact that you went through it with that gun, and the fact that the gun still functions flawlessly.

Anyway, like I said my advice is worth what you paid for it...but I just figured I would share...the idea of carrying a cheaper gun that you like and/or trust less/ shoot worse never makes much sense to me.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The Glocks are great guns. However if you feel more comfortable with the P30 get that. If it comes down to it, you want to use what is most comfortable. The odds of having to use it are very low so you are better off getting the better gun for you.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Why settle for a Glock if you want a HK?

Get a P2K or USPc.

I'm sure you could find a new one for a good price, or pick up a used one for about the price of a new Glock.

With the P30 being the new, hot thing out right now, there should be more used HK 9mm's on the market right now. I'm looking for a nice, used P2K 9mm myself to replace the one I sold thinking the P30L would be available in the US.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I will be the contrarian and admit the Glock 19 is probably the better choice for carry. Its more easily concealed, equally or more reliable, both the pistol and mags are much cheaper. That said, I would rather have a p30 for the range and collectability.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
For me the decision was easy. I liked the way the P30 fit my hand better than any Glock. I looked at the Glock 27. I think that was the Glock the guy showed me that matches the P30. After adding the price of the extended mag release and slide release. The Glock was about the price I paid for the P30. Plus I own an HK.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I guess it when it boils down, the question is this:
1) Is your life worth more than the difference in the cost of a pistol?

D

·
0 Posts
(ie. if you have to use it for defense you may never get it back).
And if I don't get it back, I'll get another. If it works, $600-$700 is a very reasonable price to pay for a life insurance policy.

-doug

·
Registered
303 Posts
For me the decision was easy. I liked the way the P30 fit my hand better than any Glock. I looked at the Glock 27. I think that was the Glock the guy showed me that matches the P30. After adding the price of the extended mag release and slide release. The Glock was about the price I paid for the P30. Plus I own an HK.
That must be a very expensive shop or they had a great price on The P30. The extended mag release and slide stop are no more than $20 worth of parts. A new Glock is $500. The cheapest I have seen the P30 for in $730.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you're worried about price & still want the HK then I agree with previous posts that you should search out a good used USPc or P2K. I've seen plenty of them around where I live for under $600 in excellent condition, some were even 'demo' guns that were handled but never actually shot & were selling for $499. I would go HK over glock any day.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys talked me into it. While I think the G19 is the perfect all around carry piece and a lot easier for me to get back into since I have a $#!tload of extra mags and a holster or two and only $425 for a NIB, I'm on the hunt for a P30.

I know cost is not an issue when it comes to defending yourself or your family but in the event I'd have to leave it secured in the car or if it disappears in checked luggage, the G19 would be easier to stomach if it got lost.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'll throw this out, CDNN had a special on a 357 Sig USP for some unreal price of like 499 or 450...so a deal CAN be had; but it may not be in the caliber or exact gun you want.

I have no problem with Glock, but I see a few problems with heading that direction. Would the different grip angle be a problem for you? Magazine release functionality? I guess it just depends on the shooter. I can shoot a Glock just fine, maybe better with a G17, but that grip angle means I have to adjust for every shot. Of course, it does force you to look at the front sight. :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
But remember you are talking with heavily HK biased forum.

The reality is if you can shoot a Glock fine, I'd get the Glock and spend the rest of the money on ammo. It's not like a Glock is a POS. Glock has sold over a million guns for a reason. A bullet coming out of a $700 gun vs. a $450 gun isn't going to make a difference downrange.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You guys talked me into it. While I think the G19 is the perfect all around carry piece and a lot easier for me to get back into since I have a $#!tload of extra mags and a holster or two and only $425 for a NIB, I'm on the hunt for a P30.

I know cost is not an issue when it comes to defending yourself or your family but in the event I'd have to leave it secured in the car or if it disappears in checked luggage, the G19 would be easier to stomach if it got lost.
You ma want to look at your homeowners or renters plicy. I was able to put a rider onto my policy that covers my firearms above the usual limit. Alos, if you are an NRA member, I believe you have 1,000 in insurance from them. FWIW, I have flown more times than I can count and never had an issue with the tsa and my guns. I would be more worried about sending my guns UPS for service than I would if checking them on a flight..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts