HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today my P30 & P30L 9MM came in to my FFL from Mike @ Cross creek guns. I forgot from my last encounter owning a P30 about the RSA being tough when new. I reload but today was running around in a rush, but I just couldn't leave the shop without getting some rounds down range. I put a 50 round box through each pistol, and then went on my way. All they had for range use today was Independence 115gr FMJ. The P30 had a few FTE with this ammo, but the P30L had quite a few FTE and FTF. I will toss this up to weak ammo until I can get to the range tomorrow or the day after with my reloads (124gr FMJ designed to mimmic Winchester NATO).

So my P30's have the first 50 rounds through each of their individual 2,000 round challenges. I have a one day pistol class on the 25th of this month locally, then driving north for Handgun 101 (3 days) with Randy Cain in the beginning of September. I'm very happy to have the means once again to be back behind an HK gun. I missed my old P30 like crazy.

Have a Comp-Tac double mag pouch and paddle holster (straight drop) en route to hold me over until my order arrives from PS Holsters, when I will be getting a dedicated CCW holster for the P30 and a dedicated training holster for the P30L with X300 that can double as OWB and be used on my belt rig as well.

FM

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I got back to the range today for a quick range trip, between lunch and picking my kid up from school. I have confirmed (at least in my mind) that the FTF & FTE from the last trip were attributed to the range ammo the shop sells in 9MM. (Independance 115gr FMJ)

I put 100 rounds through each the P30 and the P30L with zero failures of any kind. It's not a high round count but I just took some ammo for a quick trip because my main reason today in dropping by was to pick up a new to me HK USP 45 that came in but that's another story.

I took the following ammo today:

100 Rounds
Montana Gold 124gr FMJ
5.4gr Winchester WSF
1.125 OAL
Winchester SP Primers
Once fired brass

100 Rounds
Xtreme Plated 124gr
5.0gr of Winchester WSF
1.120 OAL
Winchester SP Primers
Once fired brass

No issues at all with the ammo. The Montana Gold rounds mimmic SD ammo with powder charge, and I loaded the 100 Xtreme bullets today to test out at 5.0gr of powder which is a recipe I got from a reliable source. The guns were both more accurate with the Xtreme loads than the Montana gold ones, and they use less powder and shoot softer. I'm glad the Xtreme bullets worked out as I have quite a few of them to load up.

Shot with both hands, strong hand, weak hand, with each pistol no issues what so ever. 150 rounds through each gun now. The P30L is going to get a workout this week with the local drill night Thursday and the Handgun 1 class I am taking Saturday.

I can say with 100% certainty I am enjoying the fit and feel of these P30's much more than the Glocks I sold to purchase them. This is not to bash another brand, but there really is just no comparison.

I will continue to update here as I work my way through the 2,000 round challenge on each pistol.

FM

·
Registered
437 Posts
Nice report on great guns.. I have a few thousand down on my P30L and once I learned to really lock my wrist solid, I have had zero FTF/FTE issues no matter what kind of crappy ammo I feed it. Best gripping and shooting gun I have ever owned.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So I got out tonight to the local drill night (my comptac holster and mag pouches came in). I took the P30L out for her maiden voyage. My kryptonite if you will with the G19 was shooting steel, didn't matter the size or the distance. I put another 300 rounds through the P30L today and I am simply loving this pistol. Tonight was all steel targets at different distances in different sizes and I did MUCH better than my last time out with the G19 doing a similar training night.

Zero issues tonight again, and a lot of fun. I am actually liking the trigger as is so don't know if I will bother changing it up or not. The trough in the trigger guard has been a non issue for me, and my reloads are so much faster with this gun for some reason. Not that the G19 was not fun, but I was having a lot more fun with the P30L tonight.

Was even dinging the steel at 50 yards with ease on a few stages. :wink:

Saturday will be my next workout with the P30L, have a handgun class that should be another 400-500 rounds in a "training" environment with the gun. The transition over has been much easier to this point than I expected.

I got a lot of haggling form the Glock boys tonight when I wasn't at the line with my old G19, but I'm doing better with the new pistol so they can give me crap all they want.

So I'm up to 450 rounds on the P30L thus far, will have to get the P30 out and get some rounds down range with it too. It's always with me as a "backup" anyways.

Very happy with my decision thus far.

FM

** Forgot to add- Had the opportunity to shoot a full auto M16 today, as well as a Sterling Sub gun in 9MM, man was that fun :) **

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
This mirrors a lot of my experience. The only issue is that my training partner is one of the best Glock shooters out there, so I am always running a little behind no matter what I am shooting.

If you ever get to shoot a factory suppressed full auto Sterling, you will never be right again.....they are SWEET. I love MP-5SD's, but the suppressed Sterling is something special.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This mirrors a lot of my experience. The only issue is that my training partner is one of the best Glock shooters out there, so I am always running a little behind no matter what I am shooting.

If you ever get to shoot a factory suppressed full auto Sterling, you will never be right again.....they are SWEET. I love MP-5SD's, but the suppressed Sterling is something special.
Right now my focus is on fundamentals with the pistol and not speed, which is why I'm happy that not focusing on speed with the P30 I'm at or better than where I was with the G19. The speed will come later accuracy has to come first.

As for the Sterling, I never even knew there were suppressed versions. I'm not right at the moment from shooting one last night, lol. No recoil, light, easy to use, and accurate. I'm been walking around the house trying to see what I can sell lol.

But it's not an inexpensive endeavor by any means.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So this past Saturday I had a handgun class with Andrew Blaschik from Tactical Firearms Academy. Due to bad weather from the incoming hurricane, our venue was changed the morning of the class and we ended up at a different location for the classroom portion of the class, as well as the shooting portion. We ended up shooting indoors instead of outdoors, and the round count for the class was not as high as usual. None of this was the fault of the instructor, it was a class decision on whether to shoot, or take a refund and come back for the class at a later date. We collectively decided to shoot.

Despite the low round count in comparison to usual (less than 200 rounds) there were no wasted movements and no wasted ammo was fired down range. Everything had a purpose and was a training opportunity, it was up to the student to either take advantage of it, or waste it. While I am not a professional of any kind, I am not new to handguns. I had about almost a one year lag from any serious training of any kind and then decided to go out and start shooting IDPA. After taking this course, I feel I was doing myself a disservice, as my focus was more on speed and gamesmanship rather than on marksmanship and accuracy.

What I liked about the course, is I got a refresher if you will on fundamentals, I learned a few new and what I feel are more efficient ways to clear malfunctions, but most of all I had a handgun class with an instructor who's main focus was "Accuracy". Now we all know how important accuracy is, but the previous classes I have taken (handgun) accuracy was not the number 1 item on the list. There were no time limits on the exercises we did, but there was no leniency if your shots missed their mark. The lessons taught were taught to me in a calm but effective manner, and the instructor at no point in time talked down to anyone, and there was no ego involved. Everything we were asked to do was first demonstrated by the instructor as well. It was very humbling doing dot drills to begin the shooting portion of the course, this really brings to light any issues the shooter is having with the procedure of drawing and firing a weapon. I was back where I should be in short time, and need to focus on practicing the things we worked on in class.

Looking forward to my next class (3 day course) Sep 3-5. This course will be more involved and the instructor is one of my favorites of all the people I have been fortunate to train under thus far in my time training.

More trouble free rounds through the P30L, and a score of 20 out of 21 in the qualifying shoot at the end of the course.

Looking forward to more training and more rounds down range. This pistol is fast becoming one of my favorite handguns of all the pistols I have yet to own.

FM

·
Registered
437 Posts
Really awesome to see people using these great pistols in courses and range events. Makes me feel more encouraged to try this sort of thing myself some day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts