HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I sold my USP 9mm on Monday and picked up a NIB P30 the same day. I took it out on Tuesday for a first date/"getting to know you" session. I was a bit giddy and excited so I kinda just blasted 200 rounds of Rem UMC through it fairly quickly. I seemed to shoot it about as well as I did my USP9.

Fast forward to this evening for the second date and another 300 rounds of UMC, plus a box of 147gr Gold Dot. First a little background on me. I just started shooting in July. I had very little pistol shooting experience from before when I did a little security duty in the Navy. So I've only been shooting regularly for about 6 months. I started out a little rusty, but quickly came around and warmed up to my new baby. Groups started to tighten up and my smile became wider. :D I met a buddy that I shoot with often, so he knows my usual groups at various distances. He's been considering a P30 so he was VERY interested in seeing how the P30 performed compared to the USP full size.

I was astounded at how well I shot the thing compared to what I was currently capable of with the USP. Most of my shooting is done at 7yds and some at 15yds which is the max range of the indoor joint we go to. My groups at 15yds up until now were 5-6" at best and I could routinely make 1.5" groups at 7yds. Like I said... I'm an improving newb. :) At any rate, I was easily able to match that at 7yds with the new P30 and even saw consistent slight improvement of all groups. Where we both saw a large improvement were the shots at 15yds! I've always had a slight problem with trigger control and my longer range groups were usually to the left. My first 15yd session was as good as any I had shot with my USP or any gun for that matter, BUT it was nicely centered on the target. I hadn't been that centered on target at range before. As I shot a few more 15yd sessions the groups continued to get tighter and tighter. I was grinning from ear to ear.

So needless to say, I'm totally pleased with the performance of the pistol and myself both. I'm astounded to get this kind of accuracy out of a 3.8" barreled combat pistol. Below are a couple of pics of my best groups at 7yds(10 rounds) and 15yds(20 rounds). Too bad for the flyer on both targets. The main group at 15yds measures right at 3.5".

Sorry for the lengthy report and I hope I didn't ramble on too much. I'm still a bit giddy. :) Oh yeah, I believe the buddy shot as well as he ever has or better than with his USPc .40. I have a feeling he'll have a new P30 very soon.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Buy a box of American Eagle 124 gr at a 5 shot string. There u should have under 2in. I enjoy my P30 it is sweet.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm the other guy who shot madmike's P30, so I thought I'd add my $0.02. My main squeeze is a USP .40 Compact, and I've put 6K rounds through it since I started shooting handguns about six months ago. For reference, I average 2-inch groups at 7 yards and 6-inch groups at 15 yards, offhand.

What can I say about the P30 that hasn't been said in other range reports? The feel of the grip is orgasmic, which makes the P30 easier to shoot accurately than the longer-barrelled USPf and my slightly shorter USPc. The trigger is an improvement over the USP's, and recoil is so mild that the P30 is almost boring to shoot. My groups at 7 yards were about the same as with my USPc and some of the slickest 1911's I've borrowed; however, the P30 really shines at greater distances. I shot a 4-inch group at 15 yards on my third magazine, which is about an inch tighter than any defensive caliber I've ever fired. My Buck Mark .22 is the only pistol I shoot more accurately.

My only real complaint with the P30 is that it is so easy to ride the slide release lever with a thumbs-forward grip. Both of us had the slide fail to lock back after the last round on several occaisions. I'm sure the problem will work itself out with more range time, but it seems strange that this would be such a common issue in a pistol designed by folks who use this grip. Despite this minor shortcoming, I'm sold on the P30.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Doggone it! I've gotten really attached to and really good with my new P2K and you guys come along raving about the P30! Those are great groups! I know if I fire one, I'll want one.

I'm the other guy ...My Buck Mark .22 is the only pistol I shoot more accurately...
Same with me on the Buck Mark. 10 rounds in the 3" 10 ring at 25yds., slow fire.*

*Buck Mark is equipped with a Bushnell HaloSite.:D

·
Registered
562 Posts
Doggone it! I've gotten really attached to and really good with my new P2K and you guys come along raving about the P30! Those are great groups! I know if I fire one, I'll want one.

Same with me on the Buck Mark. 10 rounds in the 3" 10 ring at 25yds., slow fire.*

*Buck Mark is equipped with a Bushnell HaloSite.:D
You will definitely want one

·
Registered
25 Posts
I FINALLY got to fondle a P30 today, just from holding it, it feels like the gun melts into my hand and becomes a part of me. Total extacy. gotta get me one of these!

·
Registered
214 Posts
After shooting Madmike's, I bought my own P30. I just broke 2,000 rounds, and my USPc hasn't left the safe since it arrived. Here are a few more insights for anyone who's interested.

My hand is just barely large enough to palm a basketball, and the P30's Large grip inserts fit me perfectly. I get far fewer flyers with the P30 than with my USPc, which I attribute to the grip.

Accuracy is simply incredible. My best 10-shot offhand group at 50 feet is down to 2.75-inches, and I've had a few groups at 7 and 10 yards that were under an inch. Just about everyone who's shot it wants one.

It did jam once, a failure to feed after about 150 rounds of Winchester WWB. The slide locked up about a quarter inch from going into battery. In the gun's defense, WWB's leave a lot of gritty residue in my pistol, with some granules that are about the size of a grain of sand. I think one of these granules got lodged between the bullet casing and the chamber. This exact same malfunction happened with WWB's in another shooter's USP 9mm at a recent range visit. Otherwise, no malfunctions. Incidentally, the guy with the USP shot my P30 and plans to sell his USP to buy one.

The P30 fits in the Kydex holster for my USPc well enough for range use, and the Uncle Mike's Size 15 IWB holster fits it like a glove. I'm still searching for a quality IWB holster, and I didn't care for the C-Tac Minataur. Its comfortable, but just a little too bulky for my tastes. I'm thinking Ugly Bald Guy or a Milt Sparks SS II may be in order.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I FINALLY got to fondle a P30 today, just from holding it, it feels like the gun melts into my hand and becomes a part of me. Total extacy. gotta get me one of these!
That's why I bought one. The way it feels HK made it just for me.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
There have been a few of us that keep saying these pistols really are that great. If you still haven't held one you are missing out and owe it to yourself to at least look at one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts