HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has ANYONE heard any rumblings about a P30 variant with a safety? I haven't seen anything encouraging here or on the HK site, but it's worth asking anyways.

I'd love a P30, but I much prefer systems with a manual safety which has me considering a CZ SP01 or FNP9 SAO instead. Even a Sig P226 X5 Tac. would fit the bill, although it is undoubtedly overkill for my purposes. The USP is way too clunky for a 9mm, IMO, and I have a USP40 fullsize anyhow. This would be a HD, range, and possibly carry gun at a later time. Inflated ammo prices are forcing me to be more of a collector, which I don't want to be, so I'll likely being selling a .45 towards a new 9mm all-around shooter.

It difficult to stay loyal to HK when other manufacturers have the features I want at half the cost (with the exception of the X5, of course).

·
Registered
25 Posts
WTFO

An SAO P30? First, lets address the "SAO" issue. There is only one gun that is an SAO, the venerable 1911. I'm not aware that HK ever made an SAO pistol. Which leads to the question:

Why would HK want to hang a crapastic safety lever off the side of the sleek and sexy P30. Have you ever seen a P2000 with a safety?

·
Registered
5,318 Posts

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
To configure the P30 to SAO would eliminate the double strike capability of the pistol. Also, it doesn't make it any safer at all in fact very much to the contrary. I don't think any of the other pistols you named are SAO either but I could be wrong. Like the other person said the only SAO that I know of is the 1911.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
The FNP pictured is billed as the FNP SAO on the fnhusa.com web site.

The CZ pictured is billed as the CZ 75B SA.

Both pistols are Single Action Only - SAO

The Colt 1911 isnt the only SAO player in the game

;)

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
Someone further educate me how would a SAO be considered safer than a DA if you are going to carry one in the chamber?

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
SAO in Condition 1 is not any more dangerous, its not any safer - its simply just a different manual of arms. The BEST safety is the brain. The SAO vs. DA/SA vs DAO - what one is better debate has been debated to death, much like the caliber debate. It all comes down to >> what works best for you, is best for you...what works best for you, may not be what works best for another shooter.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
I knew I didn't see any benefit to it but thought I would ask in case I was missing something.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
I wish H&K would make some sort of SAO variant, because I grew up on the Colt 1911 - that manual of arms is 2nd nature to me in operation. The V1 works good for me because it can be carried in Condition 1. The V9 is not readily available, so I go V1 since I can live with it.

I think every pistol owner should at least own a SAO for a while, they're wonderful. The FNP SAO and CZ 75 SA, are both amazing and super high quality pistols, cant go wrong with either one if SAO is your 'thing'.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Examples of other SAO guns:

-Browning Hipower
-FN Hi-Power
-CZ 75/97 SAO
-Sig 220 SAO
-Sig 210
-Sig X5
-FNP series
-Beretta 92 Steel-I

You can get a USP or USPc in variant 9 which would function identically to SAO unless you had a bad primer hit and had to pull a DA shot to hit the primer again. Other than that though it would function identically to any other SAO. While you can't find var 9's easily, there is a sticky at the top of the forum that tells you how to convert a V1 to a V9 yourself by just changing a detent plate. All that said, I don't think the P2000/P30 series will ever have a safety and will never have more than 3 variants (LEM1, LEM2, DA/SA w/ decock only). You would need a USP, USPc, or HK45 or 45c to go V9.

·
Registered
25 Posts
FN's, or any other autoloading pistol manufacturers, use of the term SAO is a misnomer. I'm sure we can argue this for days on end, but who really cares...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just bought a Sig X5 Tactical last week...man is it sweet...SAO by the way. It just has a feel...oh and it is a tack driver for sure. My choice for carry though is p2000sk...different use altogether.

my $0.02...don't try it if you aren't ready to buy it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
An SAO P30? First, lets address the "SAO" issue. There is only one gun that is an SAO, the venerable 1911. I'm not aware that HK ever made an SAO pistol. Which leads to the question:

Why would HK want to hang a crapastic safety lever off the side of the sleek and sexy P30. Have you ever seen a P2000 with a safety?
1911 is the only SAO pistol out there? Have you been living under a rock for the last 100 years? There are plenty of single action only designs out there, both modern and old, including HK's own P7.

·
Registered
177 Posts
FN's, or any other autoloading pistol manufacturers, use of the term SAO is a misnomer. I'm sure we can argue this for days on end, but who really cares...

Well my FN P-35 is SAO. I'm not sure how it could be described any different. I would call my USP 45 V10 SA, despite that it can be shot DA. While we're talking about that, I think the idea of a follow up DA shot in case of a bad primer is overstated. First, there are allot of different reason why you could pull the trigger and it not fire besides just a bad primer. There is also no guarantee the round would fire the second time; if the problem was actually a bad primer. I read about this allot here and at some CZ forums, but I never heard of nobody that actually teaches this as a good tactic. I would suggest a tap, rack and assess/go/bang whatever myself.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
1911 is the only SAO pistol out there? Have you been living under a rock for the last 100 years? There are plenty of single action only designs out there, both modern and old, including HK's own P7.
+100!! Im shocked - especially on a fire arms forum.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
Guess you could chalk it up to a long night at work followed by a long morning at the bar. I really don't even remember coming in today. But before someone asks NO the former LEO wasn't driving. So I could be as intoxicated as I wanted to be after the last couple of days. But right now I feel like someone is :90: I think I picked a bad time to start drinking again. No more for a long time to come I am getting too old for that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess I'm just surprised, given the modular nature of HK handguns lately, that a version with a manual safety is likely to be unavailable. I can understand though, since the P30 wasn't originally designed with the US market in mind. I'm nevertheless excited about any new offering HK decides to throw our way.

Also, is it just me or does nobody really stock the FNP line anywhere? I've yet to see one in person and they've been out quite some time, albeit in a diff. trigger config.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts