HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my P30 and have only fired 15 rounds out of it and I noticed today what looks like a scratch on the front of the slide near the muzzle. Is this something I should be concerned about concerning rust in the future?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Does not sound like a concern as long as you keep it clean. I carry my P30L all the time so there is some finish wear and a couple small scratches on the slide, but no rust even though in warm weather a bit of moisture sometimes condenses toward the bottom of my holster. I do have a couple tiny rust pits on the slide lever on the side closer to my body, though.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
If it looks like white metal, put a dab of cold blueing on it and see if it gets black. I bet it will not, meaning that you still have the original corrosion protection intact. If it does, you'll get a little bit of protection from the bluing.

I doubt it's anything to worry about, it looks still black in the picture.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The scratch is the white dot right near the barrel. I'm just mad because the scratch was there as soon as i got it.

·
Banned
188 Posts
Seriously? Don't worry about it. If you're in an exceptionally humid state then just be sure to keep it oiled. In the mean time, just shoot the damn thing and develop some holster wear/battle scars.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
if it was sent from the factory like that, I'd be pissed. If it happened after you bought it, I say stop being a little girl.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
There are a lot of hands that touch the pistol before you get it. I'm just sayin'.
I'll rephrase; if was like that when you bought it, I'd be pissed. Hopefully he inspected the gun before he bought it. If he didn't that's on him. If it happened by his hand suck it up, it's just a beauty mark.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Since you shot the gun, it doesn't sound like you are putting it under glass in the National Archives. I get hung up on silly stuff as well, but it does not impact the guns performance at all so just enjoy shooting it. If it does bother you that much then do one of three things:
#1- Give it to me for free so you don't have to worry about it any longer
#2- Send it off to be gold plated like that gun Ghadaffi had
#3- Just keep the area oiled and clean
Let me know if you choose option #1 :wink:

·
Registered
380 Posts
No matter how careful you are, they are going to get marked with use. Are the other marks scratches as well, may could've been caused by a loose mag during shipping rubbing on the slide.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You're right to be concerned. Your gun has serious problems and may not be safe to operate. I suggest you sell it to me for 'parts only'. I'll give you $50 for it.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
You're right to be concerned. Your gun has serious problems and may not be safe to operate. I suggest you sell it to me for 'parts only'. I'll give you $50 for it.
Nevvermind,

This guy is low-balling you, BIG TIME. Even though it's ruined as a collector and like Steve mentioned should only be treated as a parts gun, I'll still give you $70.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
HK uses carbon-nitriding on their slides. Bluing is purely cosmetic. My 8 years old CCW P2000SK has bluing completely worn out to bare metal in several places. No sign of rusting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the help. I am not concerned that there is a scratch there, I am new to handgun ownership and wanted to make sure this wouldnt cause rust problems. I don't think this constitutes being a little girl about it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
A black sharpie is your friend.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
LOLLLL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts