HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm thinking that rather than change the way I grip my pistols, I should trim the L side slide release....shorten it to the point where it is the same length in relation to my right thumb, as the slide release on my USPc 45.

I'm having some intermittent issues with the slide not locking back, and, based on observation of my shooting buddy...attribute the fact to the way I grip the P30.

Anybody try this modification themselves...or have it done? I am thinking I would just have it refinished after the modification.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have not done this nor will on my P30. My grip on the P30 is no where near the slide release.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It looks like you could have somebody shave off a couple shelves on the slide release. I had this done on my USP45F due to a similar problem you described. No problems for me since.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Change your grip. If your thumbs are touching the slide lock, they're not high enough on the gun.

You'll have better control over the firearm, faster follow up shots, and you wont have to ruin your slide lock to do it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thumbs

If my thumbs are any higher, they're on the slide.....
I don't think that is the answer...but thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't see how hitting it lightly a few times with a Dremel would hurt it.

If you know it has to be sent out for finishing, why not just let them shave it down for you then refinish it? Any gunsmith could do this easily, and cheaply.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Change your grip. If your thumbs are touching the slide lock, they're not high enough on the gun.

You'll have better control over the firearm, faster follow up shots, and you wont have to ruin your slide lock to do it.
Doesn't sound like a height thing, but rather a length thing. His thumbs are far forward, many people like to shoot like that (I do on certain guns) for better stability.

If his thumbs were HIGHER they wouldn't be on the gun anymore....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YES!

Thank you....thumbs forward, why couldn't I describe that!
I looked closely at my P30 slide release, compared to my USPc 45...not the actual length, but the distance from backstraps of each respective pistol. My right thumb stops "right at" the rear edge of the USPc, and it "rests under" my thumb on the P30. I am thinking about 2/3's of the P30 release needs to disappear.
Maybe H&K should come out with some "short levers", like Sig has with their "short triggers".

·
Registered
131 Posts
Doesn't sound like a height thing, but rather a length thing. His thumbs are far forward, many people like to shoot like that (I do on certain guns) for better stability.

If his thumbs were HIGHER they wouldn't be on the gun anymore....
Your grip should be high enough that your thumbs are next to the slide. Not above it, but pointing straight, next to the slide. Should be JUST above the slide lock.

Grab a 1911 or a USP. REST your shooting thumb right on top of the safety. Your support hand should be tucked right underneath it, and your strong hand thumb should be resting right on top of the safety, and your support hand's thumb.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4584332856867071363

Pay VERY close attention to the grip in this video.

Apply what he says there to a firearm without a safety, and it still works. I've handled a P30, and the grip I use, and the grip in the video allows for a very firm grip that is not resting on the slide lock.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
help

Thanks for the video link. I'll see what happens with some practice..maybe the USPc just lets me get sloppy..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts