HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9mm P30 slide goes forward when I load magazines loaded with ammo, full or half loaded magazines.

What causes this? And, how do you stop it?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Normal, so I'm told. My P30 9mm does this too. My P30 .40 does not. Saves you a step!

·
Registered
562 Posts
This is called autoforwarding. It is not a deadset reliable way to chamber a round; I've personally seen a SIG autoforward without chambering a round during a class. Generally, you will have to simply seat the mag straight into the magwell instead of at an angle. It's something you'll have to train for if you don't want it to happen.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's in my HK45 manual. I don't know if the p30 manual is the latest version or not, but it's worth a look. That said, it's a normal thing.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
mine does it when I slam the mag in. I like this and use it for fast reloads shooting action matches. but if I snap one in gently it does not close.

when you bang the mag in it cuases the slide catch to move and lose its grip. I have had other handguns do this to. I actually like it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
+1 on normal, and will take less and less force when seating the mag the more you shoot it. The P Series manual gives it a precautionary mention. Not a legal expert, but it is probably more to indemnify in the event of an accidental shooting. Even my sk is starting to do it the more I shoot it, but it is not nearly as consistent as with my P30. While I expect it with the P30, I still find myself going through the motion of racking the slide as that is how I was taught.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't slam up the mag too hard/strong. Not too gentle either. Just glad my finger is out locked up like a chop stick when I slam it up inside. LOL.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So my newish P30 is not doing it yet but I am inclined to think that it will at some point. I noted the comment about the mag going in at something of an angle causing this as opposed to the vigor with which one slams the mag in. I have seen guys mention that it is more often because of whacking the mag in there hard and most specifically happens will Polymer frame pistols.

But I did want to explore the comment about inserting the mag at an angle more. Would the poster that made the comment please provide a bit more on that? Are you thinking that this is more because the user is catching a lever somewhere with the mag and engaging the slide release? I love my P30 and when it starts happening I will live with it. However I don't think I am going to like it as much as others are indicating. I don't like anythings that happen sometimes but not others when it comes to pistols. The fewer of those there are, the happier I am.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Just don't put force behind it, mine never does it unless I want it too, this is the same as not locking back on last round cause of operator, get it OPERATOR!

·
Registered
69 Posts
OK so it sounds like as long as you have some sense for hitting the mag hard enough to feel good about seating it solidly without hitting it as hard as you can, you will avoid cycling the slide unless you want to do it even once the pistol is kinda' broken in. Is that about right?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had never experienced this and I have a few hundred rounds through my P30L. So I tried reproducing this event and was not able to, no matter what kind or how much ammo was in the mag, how hard or gently I inserted the mag, or at whatever angle I tried inserting it. My slide stayed open until I thumbed the release no matter what else I did to it.

Does that mean something is wrong with mine? Or just not enough rounds through yet? I hope it stays the way it is, the idea of my carry gun doing anything random or unexpected makes me uncomfortable...

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I love that my p30s does this. For quick reloads there is no better way. And as mentioned before, with my p30s at least i've never had it slam forward while inserting a mag and it not grab a round on the way home. Although for everyday carry and the "standard" use we put them through, this "feature" is kind of pointless. But I do love it!

My girls px4 sc does not do the same

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had never experienced this and I have a few hundred rounds through my P30L. So I tried reproducing this event and was not able to, no matter what kind or how much ammo was in the mag, how hard or gently I inserted the mag, or at whatever angle I tried inserting it. My slide stayed open until I thumbed the release no matter what else I did to it.

Does that mean something is wrong with mine? Or just not enough rounds through yet? I hope it stays the way it is, the idea of my carry gun doing anything random or unexpected makes me uncomfortable...
Yours is perfect.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just did a Google search on this topic and confirmed what I'm experiencing. My other pistols don't do this so I wanted to confirm what normal characteristics are for the P30. After calling technical assistance I was advised "the P30 is a combat pistol and that is normal operation." Also, it's on page 18 of the owners manual.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts