HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is common knowledge, but the slide stop in the P30 is designed to be captive. The owner's manual doesn't explain this, and the people at the shop where I bought my pistol didn't know until they had buggered up the weak side stop trying to get the stop all the way out. Apparently HK is now going to put a sticker on the manual. Kind of sloppy if you ask me, but the pistol worked great on its first outing today--200 rounds of S&B ball w/no problems.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Maybe this is common knowledge, but the slide stop in the P30 is designed to be captive. The owner's manual doesn't explain this, and the people at the shop where I bought my pistol didn't know until they had buggered up the weak side stop trying to get the stop all the way out.
Doesn't surprise me. Many gun shop employees are not the brightest tools in the shed, to say the least. I remember seeing a gun store clerk put a huge scratch on the frame of a brand new Colt Gold Cup while trying to put the slide stop back in. The idiot in question was described by another clerk as their "1911 expert". I'd hate to see what the rest of the crew would have done to that poor pistol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't surprise me. Many gun shop employees are not the brightest tools in the shed, to say the least. I remember seeing a gun store clerk put a huge scratch on the frame of a brand new Colt Gold Cup while trying to put the slide stop back in. The idiot in question was described by another clerk as their "1911 expert". I'd hate to see what the rest of the crew would have done to that poor pistol.
This is a good shop, with knowledgeable people. I blame HK for not putting it in the manual, especially since none of their other pistols (as far as I know) have captive slide stops.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is a good shop, with knowledgeable people. I blame HK for not putting it in the manual, especially since none of their other pistols (as far as I know) have captive slide stops.
That's no need to stop exercising common sense. At the point you have to start prying on the gun to get the slide stop out, risking damaging it, you should make a call to the manufacturer.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
While it surprised me it wasn't too hard to figure out. I can't believe they messed up the gun. Why were they bothering it anyway?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Maybe this is common knowledge, but the slide stop in the P30 is designed to be captive. The owner's manual doesn't explain this, and the people at the shop where I bought my pistol didn't know until they had buggered up the weak side stop trying to get the stop all the way out. Apparently HK is now going to put a sticker on the manual. Kind of sloppy if you ask me, but the pistol worked great on its first outing today--200 rounds of S&B ball w/no problems.
Um....its right in the manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a used P30 and although I don't have to take the slide stop levers out to remove the slide, they do in fact come out. I bring this up because it makes me wonder if it is missing some parts? It comes apart like my P2000. With the exception that the strong side lever is marked with red. The weak side lever just rotates up about an 1/8th of a turn and comes out.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I was totally baffled by the left side lever as well since the instruction manual refers to the P2000 and the P2000 is what I am used to. At least I knew beforehand that the right sight didn't come out or that really would have driven me nuts. Shame on HK (absolutely no excuse) for not including at least a temporary insert in the Owner's Manual. In light of the cost of this gun and the potential for damage (though I am a firm believer one should never force anything), this is unacceptable. The consumer should not have to rely on G&A Magazine for instructions on how to field strip their gun. By not including instructions, I think HK has opened themselves up for potential $ problems. Makes no sense to me. A 3x5 card inside the manual would have done the job.

But kick the soapbox from under me because I love my new P30. It's an outstanding gun. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Both of the slide stop levers on my P-30 come completely out.
Same as the HK45.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The left side just comes straight out like the USP.
Lift the right side lever up about 1/8 turn and it will just fall out.

You don't have to remove the levers to disassemble the slide.
Just push the left one out about 1/4 inch and the slide can be removed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
That's no need to stop exercising common sense. At the point you have to start prying on the gun to get the slide stop out, risking damaging it, you should make a call to the manufacturer.
Exactly. How do you "bugger up" a hardened steel slide stop without applying some highly unreasonable amount of force?

·
Registered
373 Posts
The left side just comes straight out like the USP.
Lift the right side lever up about 1/8 turn and it will just fall out.

You don't have to remove the levers to disassemble the slide.
Just push the left one out about 1/4 inch and the slide can be removed.
I don't know how the USP works (I have a P2000) but I think we all understand, albeit later than sooner for some, that in the case of the P30 the left side lever is designed to pushed out about a 1/4 inch (not all the way out) at which point the slide can be separated from the frame. As to the right side lever, I don't know why anyone would want to remove it completely from the frame for routine cleaning (field stripping).

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had no problem understanding the manual. I have a V2 and took it apart the same day I brought it home to get familiar with it, you can clearly tell the slide stop only pops out a little ways, It "snaps" into place. Maybe different models breakdown in different way but It was pretty cut and dry how the slide is supposed to be removed. There isn't a need to remove it all the way as stated above but if yall feel the need to risk it go for it. I'm going to try not to damage a $900 handgun.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The manual has been up dated as of 2010. It now states {CAUTION It is not necessary to remove the slide axle beyond this point and doing so could damage the pistol}.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts