HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on another forum.

"Can't say much, but at the last steel match I participated in I got to meet and talk to the HK shooting team - and let's just say after breaking the ice and sharing ideas I was informed HK Germany is evaluating a drop in solution that brings the reset travel down to minuscule levels - think 1911 like. I couldn't believe what I was hearing! Other items are in the works - let's hope HK Germany listens and moves forward with this amazing solution."

Who knows if there is a any validity to it, or just internet rumor. But kind of sounds like a "match trigger" upgrade might be coming similar to the one for the USP series :)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Don't get too excited.

Even if it happens, they'll argue whether to produce it at HK GmbH or HK USA. By the time they decide to produce it at HK USA, they'll also have decided to drop their contract with Wilcox in order to open an actual HK factory in the US...yet still introduce a prototype at SHOT Show and list it on their website, ending in incessant vaporware questions on HKPRO.com while HK USA gets their own production facility up and running. They'll break ground a year later, but not build the factory until 5 years after that. By then, HK will decide to drop the P-Series match trigger from their catalogs, claiming a "lack of market interest and sales" (never mind they didn't actually put it into production). 3 months after that, 5,000 will be produced by HK GmbH due to some obscure contract with a large US law enforcement agency, but where no one can justify the purchase of the new trigger groups or even point to what weapons they actually went into. Magically, 400 will show up with open market vendors where people pay upwards of $500 for the trigger kits, finally getting them delivered 6 months after the fact. Unfortunately, 1 year later the BATFE will confiscate all 400 purchased match trigger groups because of legal technicalities, in that they actually belonged to the US Gov contract.

I'll believe it when they're actually delivered to joe schmoe. I wouldn't count on anything until then. HK is the master of vaporware, and the leader in the arena of where common sense is an uncommon virtue.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Even if it happens, they'll argue whether to produce it at HK GmbH or HK USA. By the time they decide to produce it at HK USA, they'll also have decided to drop their contract with Wilcox in order to open an actual HK factory in the US...yet still introduce a prototype at SHOT Show and list it on their website, ending in incessant vaporware questions on HKPRO.com while HK USA gets their own production facility up and running. They'll break ground a year later, but not build the factory until 5 years after that. By then, HK will decide to drop the P-Series match trigger from their catalogs, claiming a "lack of market interest and sales" (never mind they didn't actually put it into production). 3 months after that, 5,000 will be produced by HK GmbH due to some obscure contract with a large US law enforcement agency, but where no one can justify the purchase of the new trigger groups or even point to what weapons they actually went into. Magically, 400 will show up with open market vendors where people pay upwards of $500 for the trigger kits, finally getting them delivered 6 months after the fact. Unfortunately, 1 year later the BATFE will confiscate all 400 purchased match trigger groups because of legal technicalities, in that they actually belonged to the US Gov contract.
It's funny/depressing because it's true.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
I would believe Half of what you hear and less of what you read on M4C. A lot of people pretend to be "in the know."

·
Registered
518 Posts
Don't get too excited.

I'll believe it when they're actually delivered to joe schmoe. I wouldn't count on anything until then. HK is the master of vaporware, and the leader in the arena of where common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Such a party pooper...

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
TGS, you just wrote the screenplay for "HK the Movie"
It's funny/depressing because it's true.
It's definitely funny because when they do produce something, they get it oh-so-right. There really is a disconnect between the quality of HK's engineers and the quality of the policy makers. It's like, "Hey, let's get the BEST engineers we can get, and give them unlimited amounts of money for design time, testing and QC...but for our policy makers, I think we should just go with American politicians from the last couple years. It's not like they have a history of running good things into the ground...I'm sure we'll be fine."

Such a party pooper...
Don't worry, there's therapy available. It's called the bar. People meet there everyday at 4-5pm. :100000:

·
Registered
518 Posts
I know, I know. I'm gonna end up there before long now that I have seen what the gray guns wait is!!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
That was funny TGS. Having dealt with HK on a professional level since the late 80's, it was a little too spot on.

With that said, I think HK is "about due" for the release of a match trigger system for the HK45, 45C and P30's. One of my all time favorite guns is my USP45 Expert, because of its trigger, sights, and barrel combination. The accuracy potential of the HK45 series guns combined with a decent trigger should be a positive step forward. With the worldwide popularity of competitive shooting and HK actually having a team, I think we are really due for a factory trigger fix.

A short, positive reset combined with the light LEM would really be a big step forward.

I just hope we are not in typical HK "metric" time...........double it an add thirty.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I know it must be frustrating for many of the long time HK folks on this board, but for a relative HK newbie- the methodical nature at which HK does things was one of the reasons I was drawn to HK in the first place. I've tried just about every new, johnny come lately invention out these in the firearm market only to be sorely disappointed at the crap that is being massed produced nowadays. I am in no position to be discussing match triggers as I am no where near capable of participating in such events, but I am comforted in knowing that the firearm company I have chosen to produce a weapon that defends my family takes the appropriate steps to get things right before being released to market. I'm sure they have made mistakes (like that long dadgum slide release on my P30L), but I'll take that over diamond plating, Gen 1-2-3-4 RSA, or micro-nanos any day.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with hoghunter. For us newer HK guys, the added cost of an HK seems to be in line with the added quality. The number of new releases from competing firearms manufacturers that seem fraught with issues is sort of mind boggling. Since the key element in the difference appears to be time, I guess I would prefer waiting to being less than confident with the result.

This may sound contrary to what has become popular very quickly in the pistol world but I do not find the reset on my new P30 LEM objectionable. Is it different from the PPQ that I was looking at while deciding what to buy? No doubt. Is is objectionable? Not to me. Would I have bought the PPQ because of its trigger vs the P30? Had that chance and didn't.

Can I see somebody wanting the reset of a PPQ on an HK? Absolutely. However if it cost even one element of what I like about my HK or even a portion of one element, I would resist the temptation myself.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I know it must be frustrating for many of the long time HK folks on this board, but for a relative HK newbie- the methodical nature at which HK does things was one of the reasons I was drawn to HK in the first place. I've tried just about every new, johnny come lately invention out these in the firearm market only to be sorely disappointed at the crap that is being massed produced nowadays. I am in no position to be discussing match triggers as I am no where near capable of participating in such events, but I am comforted in knowing that the firearm company I have chosen to produce a weapon that defends my family takes the appropriate steps to get things right before being released to market. I'm sure they have made mistakes (like that long dadgum slide release on my P30L), but I'll take that over diamond plating, Gen 1-2-3-4 RSA, or micro-nanos any day.
Just to be clear:

The reason HK does not address marketable items, either needs (spare parts) or wants (match triggers, threaded barrels, P30L LEM w/o safety) is not because they can't fully test them or ensure their quality.

It's because they don't care. Example: There's NOTHING methodical about making P30LS LEM's, but not a P30L LEM.

There's a marked shift in priorities from the 1990's to today. In the 1990's, HK had an awesome line of pistols. You could get a USP in a full-size, compact, + size (Expert) or ++ size (Elite). You could get them with adjustable target sights, combat sights, suppressor sights, or fiber optic sights. You could get them in any trigger group you wanted, even a Match-LEM hybrid. Bobbed or spurred hammers. Threaded barrels or not. Flush fit mag bases, finger extension mag bases, or extended mags with magwell funnels.

Anything you want. Unfortunately this thing called the AWB put a damper on a lot of the items.

Today? The market would be very receptive of those options on the P-Series and HK45 series. The market would be very receptive of a single-stack 9mm/40. The market would be receptive of spare parts!

So, again......there's a huge disconnect between the engineers and the policy makers at HK. Thankfully, the policy makers get one thing right: giving the engineers the time and money to make **** work correctly before it's released to customers. Most other manufacturers don't really do that, so that's why I personally still buy HK instead of the makes that have all the options and cool stuff.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The AWB thing is a different take on the question. Hard to imagine that having not adapted to the end of the ban has not hurt HK's market share over such a long period. So does that suggest that things like the Walther PPQ are resulting in market share shifts between Walther and Glock, S&W and Baretta and Colt but not really having an impact on HK share?

or....

Does HK management simply not care maybe because its real business in military and LE contracts or for some other reason?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Does HK management simply not care maybe because its real business in military and LE contracts or for some other reason?
That's the reason for why they haven't adapted to the end of the AWB and explosion in US pistol sales....it's not an alternative situation itself.

As to HK's real business being military and LE contracts, just remember that once upon a time, HK brought the HK91, HK93, HK94, SL8, USC, SR9, SP89 and various sporting-specific models of the USP to the market specifically for John Q Public (specifically Americans for many of those listed). If they had the attitude back then that they had now, none of those models would have existed. So, hopefully this trend goes away soon.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just to be clear:

The reason HK does not address marketable items, either needs (spare parts) or wants (match triggers, threaded barrels, P30L LEM w/o safety) is not because they can't fully test them or ensure their quality.

It's because they don't care. Example: There's NOTHING methodical about making P30LS LEM's, but not a P30L LEM.

There's a marked shift in priorities from the 1990's to today. In the 1990's, HK had an awesome line of pistols. You could get a USP in a full-size, compact, + size (Expert) or ++ size (Elite). You could get them with adjustable target sights, combat sights, suppressor sights, or fiber optic sights. You could get them in any trigger group you wanted, even a Match-LEM hybrid. Bobbed or spurred hammers. Threaded barrels or not. Flush fit mag bases, finger extension mag bases, or extended mags with magwell funnels.

Anything you want. Unfortunately this thing called the AWB put a damper on a lot of the items.

Today? The market would be very receptive of those options on the P-Series and HK45 series. The market would be very receptive of a single-stack 9mm/40. The market would be receptive of spare parts!

So, again......there's a huge disconnect between the engineers and the policy makers at HK. Thankfully, the policy makers get one thing right: giving the engineers the time and money to make **** work correctly before it's released to customers. Most other manufacturers don't really do that, so that's why I personally still buy HK instead of the makes that have all the options and cool stuff.
TGS,
Very well said. I was in no way trying to expound upon something that I have very little knowledge about and I appreciate the history lesson that you and the other experts on here are so willing to share. I learn something every time I log in here, so thank you for that. I guess what I was trying to say was that from just a common guy who visits LGSs and dreams about the "expensive toy showcase", HK always had that special place in the gun shop. Just one small shelf of guns. All black. Only three models (USP, P2000, P30/P30L- I know there are others, but these are the only ones I've seen on a regular basis). No gimmicks. High price. Oozing with quality. Compare that to the other manufacturers that have just about everything under the sun. I just always got the sense that HK knows who they are and they stick to what they do best. I agree with everything you said in the above and after reading it I would be a bit concerned that HK is not evolving to keep up with the shooting public. But from a newbie standpoint, I love the fact that I own something from that special gun case that I would have never thought in a million years as a kid (I'm 40 now- so just an older kid!) that I could have afforded. Even if HK hates me I love my HK. I apologize for taking this thread in a different direction.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I just always got the sense that HK knows who they are and they stick to what they do best.
It sounds really cheezy, but I think it's true. Check out HK's Grey Room. If they auctioned that off, they could make a few million bucks. But, they keep it around simply as pride in their heritage...or vanity. Take your pick.

Either way, I think it demonstrates HK's willingness to not give a crap and keep making excellent quality guns which far exceed the QC, depth of design research and testing of most of their competitors.

One thing comes to mind when thinking of HK:
"Honey badger don't care. Honey badger don't give a ****."

1 - 20 of 30 Posts