HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would love to get input on what others think about these two pistols for defense. I am switching to the HK platform because I love the mag release and of course quality. I have shot both and seem to be biased to the p30 DA/SA platform from a safety standpoint. I know finger off the trigger and all that. That said I find comfort in the first, long tactile feel of the trigger. Thinking P30 for the house and SK for carry. What do others think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
I have both and love them both. For carry or home defense I would go with a p30/usp but hats just me. I prefer da/as in general. They are both exceent choices. Similar in some ways but really comes down to which trigger style you prefer. Ultimately, get both:)

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Would love to get input on what others think about these two pistols for defense. I am switching to the HK platform because I love the mag release and of course quality. I have shot both and seem to be biased to the p30 DA/SA platform from a safety standpoint. I know finger off the trigger and all that. That said I find comfort in the first, long tactile feel of the trigger. Thinking P30 for the house and SK for carry. What do others think.

Own a P30, P30Sk and a VP9.
All great guns.
With your preference towards DA/SA?
The P30 and P30Sk seem like the obvious choice.
The only addition advice I can give?
Have you tried LEM?
It has a long pull, albeit super light, for that first shot.
Not for everybody, LEM is a favorite for many (including me) :biggrin:

Ops, I almost forgot.
P30 for home defense?
Seriously consider the P30L long slide.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard a rumor that the VP series is contracted to another manufacturer. And the hammer fired are being made by Hk.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I prefer hammer fired for carry. My nightstand gun is a VP9 with a TLR-2HL and a spare HKparts 30 round mag next to it. (There's also the Mark 23 on the other side of the bed in a holster hung between the mattress and box spring.)

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
If you are more comfortable with the features of the P30 then definitely go that route..You will not be disappointed..

·
Registered
747 Posts
I own a VP9 and like it a great deal. Only reason I purchased it however is because I got a great deal, it was cheap and I wanted a cheap 9mm to shoot . Having said that if I were to be given an option as one to be given to me or one that I had to carry it would be a P30 or better yet a P30L in a LEM Variant. They're are Tank division vs. Humvee division comparatively in my Humble Opinion.

·
Banned
18,624 Posts
How do you know it's assembled by HK?
Made in Germany doesn't necessary mean assembled by HK?
And how do you know the P30 is assembled by HK?
Made in Germany doesn't necessary mean assembled by HK.

You remind me of the WellWellWell guy. He has done nothing but spreading rumors.

·
Registered
150 Posts
For me, I could not adapt to the VP9 having no DA , decocker or safety option. It really comes down to what you have trained with and are comfortable with. I believe that having a DA 1st shot is a huge asset for both home defense and concealed carry. It's safer having the option for safety or DA. Any argument against it doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So hate to say it but going with the sig p229 legion. 9MM. Shot this gun today and wow. Trigger system is amazing. Compared to the P30 i shot DA was lighter, smoother and single action with short reset was better than any striker. Took her home.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
So hate to say it but going with the sig p229 legion. 9MM. Shot this gun today and wow. Trigger system is amazing. Compared to the P30 i shot DA was lighter, smoother and single action with short reset was better than any striker. Took her home.

Congrats, SIG makes great guns. I have several. The legion is pretty awesome, but I got really turned off by the marketing of that line. You can't go wrong with a 229. Enjoy!

Congrats, SIG makes great guns. I have several. The legion is pretty awesome, but I got really turned off by the marketing of that line. You can't go wrong with a 229. Enjoy!

·
Registered
150 Posts
For metal frame pistol, oh yeah those SIG's rock! My 2004 229 satin nickel is quite the heavy piece of hardware. There's a new gun shop the Firing Line in my town, I saw the 229 legion in satin graphite grey, looks fantastic let me tell ya. I had to have it in my hand. It's also on my list along with about 4 other HK's. I literally could blow 20k on my list of pistols and rifles. Who on this forum couldn't .

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have the P30L and VP9. I much prefer the P30L. Above and beyond the trigger differences, I feel the 30 handles the recoil better. Also, I hate how far back the slide release is on the VP9. I put a P30S slide stop on my P30L, so it's positioned more forward, like a 1911. No such option for the VP9 that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
1 Posts
any thoughts on how to unjam a HK VP?....Post cleaning I reassmbled but the spring was not aligned properly..Long story..serious jam and the spring fell out. Thank You

1 - 20 of 50 Posts